Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does puree'd chicken w/broth, puree'd shrimp with broth, and puree'd low carb Soup all qualify as mushies...or liquids?

Basically I'm following the big pamphlet of information that the doctor gave me and puree'd Proteins is what is on the menu for the 3 weeks following surgery. I've had no problems this far (knock knock knock on wood). Thanks!

Hi!

Female bandster invading the men's thread!

My Dr, Dr Kirshenbaum and his nutritionist both said that Clear Liquids are anything that you can read a newspaper through... broth, Water, apple juice. Then you move onto full liquids/mushies (they are one in the same)as long as it can fit through a straw(just don't drink through a straw) so Tomato Soup, pudding, mushed up fish, peas, puree'd chicken w/broth, puree'd shrimp with broth.

Hope this helps!

hey JBTULLIS- thanx for the response....where are you at in the process? I have gone to his siminar, and am collecting my Dr. referals, but so far thats it. If I become a self-pay, someone told me about a doc in topeka that works for 11,000- anyone know about this? I am unable to go to Mexico...any other ideas in midwest?

Where are you in the Midwest? I am in WI. I did quite a bit of research in the MI, MN, IL WI area. Let me know if I can help you out.

I ended up going to Dr. K in Denver. Only $9,950.00 and he's great. I am then getting my fills and follow-up done locally.

Hey guys, and the ocasional girl:)

Well, today I am one step farther to the big day. went to the pre band class and made it through. Next step and the toughest as far as I am concerned, liquid diet starting on tuesday! Ordered my protien stuff today, should be here by friday. I am so looking foreward to this

On a good note, I just finished my Taxes last night, si I went Laptop shopping:) Found a kickbutt 17" Gateway that I can pick up with a wireless network for under a grand so it is going to be my treat to myself WAHOO!!!! I have been lost since my old LT caught on fire before Christmas. Just went POOF!!!! HAHA!

Later guys

Chris

Hi all, Well it's been exactly one week since I got my band !!:clap2: I'm healing real good and fast. I don't have the coverings on my holes, they fell off :) but they look great. The little bruising that I do have is going away fast. But now I have a cold again ,:) this time its chest cold..oh well this to shall pass..

I cant leave the country -damn parole board!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!!

Its just not feasable at the momment...someone told me to check out Denver and another in Topeaka...I'm in KCMO. is anyone familiar with these? Docs closer to home are going to be easier.

Pax10

Hey Mike, and who ever wants to know,

I just found out how to do the ticker:clap2:...First go to tickerfactory.com and fill out the info the when your done, don't click on HTML box's just right click on the actual ticker that you did and hit copy. Go back here to LBT and go to edit signature page then right click in the message box and click post. This worked for me as you can see......:biggrin1:

Hi!

Female bandster invading the men's thread!

My Dr, Dr Kirshenbaum and his nutritionist both said that Clear Liquids are anything that you can read a newspaper through... broth, Water, apple juice. Then you move onto full liquids/mushies (they are one in the same)as long as it can fit through a straw(just don't drink through a straw) so Tomato Soup, pudding, mushed up fish, peas, puree'd chicken w/broth, puree'd shrimp with broth.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the insight. My confusion stems from the fact that it seems the guidelines vary from each doctor. My paperwork specifically says to start on puree'd food on post op day 3, but most other people (and dr's websites) are saying clear fluids for a week and then puree. I havent had any problems thus far and I'm actually cheating A LITTLE on some shrimp, but I'm cutting off real small pieces and chewing like there's no tomorrow. So far I've had no problems and wow is it good! :) They also frown on anything tomato-based (sugars) and anything with carbs.

Anyone else have similar directions from their doc?

I would just be a little careful with "pureed" foods. That word can mean a lot of things. If you are pureeing a little chicken in a lot of broth, that's probably OK. If you are throwing a steak, baked potato and a tablespoon of tobasco in the blender and eating a thick paste, that's probably not so good at one week out.

I can just say that I tried to move past liquids a bit too fast at the beginning and my stomach swelled up in response and I could barely drink Water for a couple days. I think it's better to take it easy at the beginning.

PAX10

I am scheduled for surgery on 2/27. I have the pre-ops stuff starting next week. However I had to do self pay since my company has an exclusion for all barriatric surgery. Figures.

So for me the process was pretty fast. I know the ladies in the office over there are pretty kick butt on the insurance stuff. If you check out his site in their forums there is a lot more detail.

JBT

Haha I guess it is a pretty loose guideline!! They are specifically mentioning chicken, fish, shrimp, pork eggs, etc as the main Protein in these 'puree meals' and I'm following their directions. I sure wouldnt want to mess this up after coming so far. And I definately dont want to vomit. Thanks for the clarification!

So probably a stupid question. Were you responsible for shaving the surgery area or did the hospital as part of the surgery?

JBT

So probably a stupid question. Were you responsible for shaving the surgery area or did the hospital as part of the surgery?

JBT

I woke up shaved.....just on the stomach where the incisions are.

JBT, Some Dr's will do the banding with out shaving, I just shaved to play it safe. One guy that had a different Dr. then me, didn't have his done and he had a lot of hair..:)