Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Hello Guys,

I got my first fill last week. It feels just right. I am eating about a cup of food per meal. I am so happy about my band.

NSV- Took three large garbage bags of "large" clothes to goodwill. Got off of the CPAP machine. Got off of blood pressure meds!. Feeling great.

UNTIL TODAY - I got a bill from the hospital for $12,849.00 for the surgery. It seems even after jumping thru hoops from Jan to July and getting a written pre-approval from my insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield) they denied payment. I MAY HAVE TO GET BACK ON MY BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED.

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

Chris...me too! The Hopsital is probably just not using the right code to bill your insurance. Dont self pay call hospital and insurance and they will get it resolved. I have BCBS too and they cant seem to get anything coded right.

Hey guys. I read somewhere about a band person cheating on food. How can you cheat you can't eat a lot of food like you use too? Wouldn't you hurt the band by eating a massive amount of food, or will it stuck and make you miserable? What do you guys do when a bunch of people go out to dinner, what do you order etc.....?

Some foods pass through the band very easy. Unfortunately most aren't the type of foods we should eat (ice cream, chips, candies, etc.). If you stick to the proper foods, you shouldn't have any problem eating smaller portions provided you have good restriction. Yes, habitually over eating can cause problems.

When dinning out, I'll order a meat and have either a salad or veggie. I'll get my "to go" box when I receive my food and only leave what I'm going to eat on my plate. Leftovers for the next day! When eating out, I'm carefull to eat stuff I know I can handle. I don't want problems there.

Bruce

When dinning out, I'll order a meat and have either a salad or veggie. I'll get my "to go" box when I receive my food and only leave what I'm going to eat on my plate. Leftovers for the next day! When eating out, I'm carefull to eat stuff I know I can handle. I don't want problems there.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, Do you mind sharing your daily exercise routine? I started pretty much where you were, and intend on going down to about the same as your goal. I see you're below 200. Congrats on that. I remember being less than 200 some years ago, and I felt awfully good. Probably the strongest I ever was, just not able to run faster than a 10 minutes pace. greg

Greg-First of all, thank you for your kind words. I really do feel a lot better. This is the first time I've been below 200 since the late 70s. I actually fit into a pair of 34" blue jeans last week. I still am shooting for about 170 which would put me on the boardline of "normal" (BMI~25).

I congratulate you on getting out of the "morbid" catagory. That's a great start! Have you had your first fill? It will get easier as you feel more restriction.

I'm probably not the "model" for exercise. I have a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis and it rears it's ugly head from time to time. That being said, I try to get in 20 minutes on my recumbant bike 3-4 times a week. I usually follow that with about 40 minutes in the 130 degree sauna, then hit the hot tub. By the time I get to the hot tub, I've sweated off a lot of Water. I plan to get a light resistance routine going this fall, my joints couldn't handle the heavy stuff.

Good luck on your journey!

Bruce

Bruce,

I guess the fills and restriction are key. That's what Doc said in his initial consultation. He let me tell him how bad I wanted to get up and going (get rid of the weight), then said keeping the restriction at the right level was the whole deal.

I'm a month off from the first fill. They said 7 weeks, this is 3. So I'm committing to the gym every morning in the meantime, and watching what I eat. I'm frequently fighting hunger at this point. But for me, this is it. At 60, I'm not going to be putting this off any longer.

I remember wearing 32" trousers at 175 lbs for a short while ten years ago. I was doing a lot of excercise at the time. Its hard to believe that 175 was still "over weight", because I had so much energy I was climbing the walls. I eventually settled in at 200 to 210, and although officially 'obese', I was running daily, doing the gym, and some martial arts.

Which is what I told Doc. I want that back just one more time, and for as long as it lasts, 1 year or until death, I'll take it.

Many years ago, I quit drinking and smoking, but I'll be darned if I can quit eating, nor restrict it, not without help. 'Voila', the band. My last stand.

Good health to you Bruce.

God Bless Us All.

greg

<p>HI guys, very new to this. I met with my surgren today and had our 1st meeting. She stated that if I were to go on the band that there is a very good possiblity with the shake drinks 2 weeks before surgery and after that I could loose a good 45-50 pounds within two months. I was shocked when she said this as i was concerned with loosing all that weight right off. has anyone else lost this much weight? were you concerned?</p>

<p>HI guys, very new to this. I met with my surgren today and had our 1st meeting. She stated that if I were to go on the band that there is a very good possiblity with the shake drinks 2 weeks before surgery and after that I could loose a good 45-50 pounds within two months. I was shocked when she said this as i was concerned with loosing all that weight right off. has anyone else lost this much weight? were you concerned?</p>

Banded Aug 6th 07 440Lbs, As of Today 369Lbs. Was not concerned. Feel great. I guess thats almost 3 months now.

Greg- With your attitude and determination I will predict you will be successfull! Your doc is correct, restriction is the key. I need to go in again myself as the pounds aren't dropping off very fast and I'm really having to fight for what I get. Keep us posted, us "old guys" gotta stick together!

al0792- Welcome and yes it's possible to lose a lot of weight especially to first few months if you stick to the program. Many have trouble losing before the first fill or two, everybody is different. Good luck!

Bruce

Thanks everyone, I go for my final consult on Oct 1oth and than wait for the insurance company.. The good news is the Dr office says that Matthew Thronton (bcbcs NH) approves very quickly.

Congrats on your start to a healthier you ! Let me tell you it feels great !

You could definitely lose that much weight that fast. Trust me ..... just look down at my stats. I am down over 120 lbs since 4/27/07. But remember the band is a tool and you need to work that tool to make it move faster. Push for the fills when you feel you need them. Its your body and you know what you need. Exercise exercise exercise , I could not say that enough. You need to do as much as you can and the weight will fall off with the bands assistance. When I first started I could barely do a mile walking and now I do 5 miles a day at least 5-6 days week.

Don't be afraid to ask any of us guys questions either. We are here for each other.

Hi,

I am very excited about having the procedure done. I am looking forward to a new healthier lifestyle in every aspect of my life. any suggestions on what I should do after my surgery?

Congrats on your start to a healthier you ! Let me tell you it feels great !

You could definitely lose that much weight that fast. Trust me ..... just look down at my stats. I am down over 120 lbs since 4/27/07. But remember the band is a tool and you need to work that tool to make it move faster. Push for the fills when you feel you need them. Its your body and you know what you need. Exercise exercise exercise , I could not say that enough. You need to do as much as you can and the weight will fall off with the bands assistance. When I first started I could barely do a mile walking and now I do 5 miles a day at least 5-6 days week.

Don't be afraid to ask any of us guys questions either. We are here for each other.

Suggestions for after surgery: eat what your doctor recommends, typically 2-4 ounces of Protein and 1/2 cup of vegetables for dinner. Supplement your diet with 1-2 pieces of fruit. Eat refined carbohydrates in moderation or as a special treat. For example, I have meat and veggies for dinner and no rice or potato. I just don't need it to feel satisfied. Eat 2-3 meals per day (although somewhat controversial, my doc says skipping Breakfast is fine, as the band is tight in the morning). Wait at least 2 hours after a meal before drinking liquids. Eliminate or greatly reduce drinks with calories. I used to drink a ton of soda, but now don't even crave it since the carbonation gets stuck under the band. I have a Gatorade once or twice per week. Have fun and enjoy the journey! You will find that the band will definitely change your life for the better if you work with it and follow the simple "rules."

Thanks for the comments re my 12k hospital bill.

I spoke with the hospital and they said I was turned down by BCBS due to not having a pre-approval. The hospital has already appealed since I have a written pre-approval. I think it will work it self out.

Bruce congrats on your loss. I cannot wait to get to 200! I already feel 10 years younger (my wife has noticed too :heh:)!

Good luck guys.

Thank you Chris!

You are well on your way! I'm in the seed business and every 50 lbs I lose I say "There's another sack of seed I'm no longer carrying around." I think comparisons like that give us a better appreciation of what we have accomplished.

Keep us posted, cause it keeps getting better!