Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to know the truth.

I'm 33 years old and have been obese since I was 22. I have decided as a grown woman to have the gastric sleeve surgery done. I'm am well educated on it and know absolutely without a doubt what I'm doing. My parents feel differently. They feel that I'm taking the "easy way out" and that I'm too young. Every time they try to talk to me about it, it ends in a fight. My husband has been pretty supportive of it...up until a few days ago when my mom told him that she talked to my cousin who also had it done, and he had to be put on Zoloft because he's so depressed! I've never heard of depression being a side effect of this surgery. So now my husband and I argue. I told my mom that unless she had something positive to say to me, I don't want to talk about my surgery decision with her. Well now it appears she's using my husband to try and talk to me. I'm about to throw her off the Superdome!!! So my question is, have any of ya'll experienced depression after surgery??

For the first month or so after surgery, your hormones are all out-of-whack, and yes, you will probably experience some depression and anxiety in those early days. After that, it really depends. I have been on anti-anxiety/anti-depression meds for the last 10 years, so things have been pretty smooth since surgery (I also see a psychiatrist on a regular basis for my issues). I have really had no problems. But I have seen other people in my support group that HAVE experienced some depression and/or anxiety after surgery - that lasts into the first year post-op. But regular follow-ups with your doctor, as well as a good support system, should help ease some of that. And don't be afraid of the possibility of some meds to help with the depression/anxiety - they will help to balance out your brain chemistry while your body is going through some significant changes!

I was able to get off of my depression/anxiety meds about 6 mo post op. I had been on them for 2 years before surgery. I did lots of research & knew what to expect each step of the way after surgery. I never hit a depression & never really mourned the loss of food. I just always looked at it as I can't have that right now, but one day if I want to in moderation I can. I was sleeved 1/22/13 at 241 lbs & I'm at 165 lbs now. I went from a size 20 to size 10. I'm also 32 yrs old & had the same worries going through my head. Is this the easy way out? I'm way too young to do this. I have a long life of complications if it doesn't work out. I'm happy that I did it & so far I haven't had any complications. My family finally respected my decision & now they are happy for me. I did "train" my husband before hand on things that I read just to prepare him for how to support me. You do go through emotions as your body changes, but nothing that the support of family & friends can't get you through. I think alot of people end up depressed when they think it's a magic fix, cause it isn't....I still have to calorie count & think of every bite or drink I take. Good luck & stay strong if this is what you truly think will make you happy.

one of the most common regrets people have is not doing the surgery sooner.. It is my only regret.. You are 33... take the opportunity to get healthy now..People do not understand how hard it is for some. I lost my sister when she was 39 years old from obesity complications..

I am sure they are just afraid for you and are saying these things because they love you.. My daughter did not agree with my decision but now she knows how much healthier and happier I am and is happy for me!!

Thanks for the feedback!

if you have a chronic condition of depression it will act up..There will be bad days and good days..Your body is going through a tremendous change...Physically, mentally and emotionally....Once you heal and yours starting to see progress you will feel euphoric for a while...Then you will experience fear.....Fear of the unknown and fear of whether you will succeed or fail....

Everything will be new and you will not have food to help you deal with all the things it comforted you with before...Your head will be worked on because that is where the issues are....

This is major surgery and your body needs time to adjust to the changes...as each pound goes off toxins are released that cause emotional and physical changes....It is all natural with any diet....But this will be your life and you will succeed...Your body, your life, your choice......

I'm 24 and just had surgery 3 months ago. Best decision ever. Now, I get to live the rest of my life healthy and happy. There are many many people here that say their only regret was not getting this earlier in life. As far as the "easy way out" comment, that's is just ignorance. People who truly know what's involved in this lifestyle know that is extremely difficult! Do what you feel is best for you! I'm 67lbs down in 3 months and couldn't be happier! Good luck!

Edit: as far as the depression goes.. I wouldn't say that I was depressed, but it was definitely emotional in the beginning. Mourning food, learning how to eat... It's extremely hard. But now, at 3 months out, I can physically eat whatever I want. I make good decisions, and am learning how to work the sleeve. All of the weight loss and dropping clothes sizes and done wonders for me emotionally! Very recently, I've begun to love myself and it feel amazing!

From my experience being 3 years post op ... People who might have had a depression issue prior to surgery seem to have it going through the process. There is a point where u almost "grieve" for the food and social situations with it . The key is to get yourself in different social activities. The gym?, yoga, walking, book club, etc. you have to think... Your family and friends will be going though a change with you. You will be changing physically, emotionally, and mentally and they won't know how to relate. Involve them ex specially your husband in the changes you do to your life style. In the end you have to do what you need to for yourself... There will be highs and lows dealing with anxiety, fatigue , hormone changes, mood swings at time, etc. just be equipped to notice it and be able to accept and deal with it. Your family just needs to know you are doing it period and you need their support or you will have to space yourself from them until you reach your goal weight. They can either decide to help u in your goal or move out of the way while you achieve it.

It can be an emotional rollercoaster...if you have challenges with emotional stability, the WEIGHT LOSS, not so much the surgery is very likely to trigger it. Some people do get distressed over not being able to stuff themselves, but I personally was so OVER using food that way...

Okay, I do regret waiting so long as the sleeve has saved my life. However, in the 2 years before I was sleeved I tried EVERYTHING one last time ... just so I knew that I really didn't have other viable options. I am not saying you need to do that, but it sure did get me past any self doubts about the surgery. I never for a minute regretted the surgery - even when I woke up all sick from the anesthesia... even when my Christmas dinner was a chocolate Protein drink....

Here is the deal - I was on the track to early death with a Detour through disability. I know it, handwriting was on the wall. Now, I am active and busy and living the life I could only dream of.

sometimes, I do have some sadness and I no longer have food or extra weight to dull those emotions. I do not take any antidepressants, I sorta feel like I have a lifetime of buried emotions that I need to process - both good and sometimes bad.

Whenever I see someone who is morbidly obese - I remember that stuffed in my skin feeling. That low energy, that feeling so unattractive and incapable of doing so many physical things. I think I WAS depressed and didn't really realize it because I didn't know anything better was really possible.

In addition.... As far as people saying it's the easy way out.... They are not you and do not know what's it's like to be obese and your body not helping you lose weight. The survey is a tool that levels the playing field with dieting. After surgery it is easier to lose weight an control your eating.... Your almost like a normal weight person that decides to watch what they eat to maintain or lose a few pounds... We are not programmed that way which is why we are obese in the first place. This is my opinion of my own situation not everyone's of coarse. I got to a point before and after surgery where I would hear the easy way out comment... And my response was simple... "Sounds like an uneducated opinion" " I guess if your not walking in my shoes... Your opinion should stay inside your own head".

In addition.... As far as people saying it's the easy way out.... They are not you and do not know what's it's like to be obese and your body not helping you lose weight. The survey is a tool that levels the playing field with dieting. After surgery it is easier to lose weight an control your eating.... Your almost like a normal weight person that decides to watch what they eat to maintain or lose a few pounds... We are not programmed that way which is why we are obese in the first place. This is my opinion of my own situation not everyone's of coarse. I got to a point before and after surgery where I would hear the easy way out comment... And my response was simple... "Sounds like an uneducated opinion" " I guess if your not walking in my shoes... Your opinion should stay inside your own head".
I agree !!! I hate hearing that I took the easy way out.... To me taking the easy way out is to do nothing to change your situation. I've put a lot of hard work into this new lifestyle . My sleeve is only a tool to " help " me better myself.

No depression here! Just pure joy and excitement for my new life!

Don't listen to the naysayers. They will always be around trying to pull you down, keep you in the place that THEY want you to be in. It's your body, your life. Do what is right for you!

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

I'm 33 years old and have been obese since I was 22. I have decided as a grown woman to have the gastric sleeve surgery done. I'm am well educated on it and know absolutely without a doubt what I'm doing. My parents feel differently. They feel that I'm taking the "easy way out" and that I'm too young. Every time they try to talk to me about it' date=' it ends in a fight. My husband has been pretty supportive of it...up until a few days ago when my mom told him that she talked to my cousin who also had it done, and he had to be put on Zoloft because he's so depressed! I've never heard of depression being a side effect of this surgery. So now my husband and I argue. I told my mom that unless she had something positive to say to me, I don't want to talk about my surgery decision with her. Well now it appears she's using my husband to try and talk to me. I'm about to throw her off the Superdome!!! So my question is, have any of ya'll experienced depression after surgery??[/quote'] Sometimes I think we talk too much. Other than my husband, I told no one about my decision until 2 weeks before surgery and I didn't tell my mother until the day after. I've dealt in intermittent depression on and off during my life. I know that when I was at that point of frustration with my excess weight, my painful knees and ankles, my discomfort sitting in a chair, that never ending fatigue that drove to to eating more because I hated my life and myself and looking at my future with that sense of futility that comes from trying every diet on earth.... I was depressed!

My decision to have surgery was a light in the darkness that gave me hope. I went to my MD about a month pre-op and asked for a mild antidepressant (Wellbutrin) because it is normal after ANY surgery to have a bout of depression. I didn't tell my husband or any one-I just took it every day and continue to take it as I'm now 5 weeks post op. I have had no problem.

There is a huge emotional relationship with food, but as long as you are clear as to why you are doing this and your personal goal and vision for your future self..... You'll. Be fine. THIS IS YOUR LIFE! You have to live with YOU for the rest of your life. So what if you were to decide to not have surgery, what if your health deteriorated, would your mother be the first one to say to you " well if you just lost some weight!" Really, sounds like she has some control issues. She is your mother, but you are no longer a child. You are an adult making a reasonable and realistic and honest decision about your life and your future. Ask your husband how he would feel living with you at age 60 pushing you in a wheel chair because your knees are so bad you can't walk, or needing insulin to keep your blood sugars under control. Depression, people are worried about depression? That is the least of your problems. They will be depressed when they see the new improved you that is vibrant and healthy. You don't need their blessing or their permission. You go girl!

I was never depressed but you will see some common trends on the boards of sleevers reaching out to the community for information and support. They include people reaching out when:

- struggling with complications

- not being able to meet goals of Fluid and Protein

- not losing fast enough/long enough

- living through stalls

- experiencing hair loss

- struggling with cravings

Yes - We all have our demons. But I can really only speak for myself. VSG was my lifeline to a healthier life after a 30 year battle with my weight that I was losing. You aren't your cousin. Keep speaking for yourself.