Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am hoping to keep my upcoming WLS a secret from most people. I hate lying but can't tolerate hearing everyone's opinion

Do you think it's believable to I'm having my gallbladder removed? Then when I start losing weight I was going to say I had some complications with the surgery.

Lots of people say they are having their gallbladder removed.

Lots of people say they are having their hernia repaired.

Edited by superfatty

I struggled with this but this week I said PUCK it and told folks at work. All were pretty receptive; however, at the end of the day I have to ask myself..why do I need to lie about this and why do I care what others think. That's their issue and their problem..not mine. and I must add when I shared..i felt extremely free if that makes sense...

I did not want anyone to know I was having the surgery. I didn't want to be referred to as 'the girl who had WLS'. I hate gossip. I realized, during my pre-surgical program, that I needed a strong support group. I created a private page on FB and invited only the people I felt I could trust with my heart. It worked out great and while on the journey five months later I broke the news to the inlaws and explained why I never told them in the first place.

I tell you this because the old me would have stayed in my closet worried but now, 10days out, I realize I'm going to be okay and it's nice to have people to share the ups and downs with.

I had to tell the ppl I work with. I'm a LPN so it'll effect my work. So far everyone has been encouraging. Of course I've never been one who cares about other ppl's opinions. But like I said everyone from my bosses to other staff is excited with me.

To each his/her own. Personally, I tell anyone who asks -- and people are really starting to notice now. Think I will have a button made up that says, "Why yes, I had weight loss surgery." Then I am going to hand out cards that show a picture of the VSG and a description, because if one more person asks me if I had a lapband I'm going to lose it!

This is so different for me. I've been dieting for 40 years. And in the past I've always kept diets to myself because I always knew that I would regain the weight as fast as I lost it. I was always on my way up or down. So, now I am committed to succeed, and owning up to the surgery is part of that commitment. Plus I think the more people that learn about VSG surgery, the less stigma there will be about weight loss surgery in general.

This is my opinion. You have to do what is comfortable for you.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

Fpmr96 I say you do what you are comfortable with. I have lost 25 lbs and I haven't had my surgery yet and everyone at work keeps asking what are you doing, blah blah blah. I am comfortable to say I have made a lifestyle change and I work hard. I keep it very generic. You have the right to privacy and no one needs to know your business!

To each his/her own. Personally' date=' I tell anyone who asks -- and people are really starting to notice now. Think I will have a button made up that says, "Why yes, I had weight loss surgery." Then I am going to hand out cards that show a picture of the VSG and a description, because if one more person asks me if I had a lapband I'm going to lose it! This is so different for me. I've been dieting for 40 years. And in the past I've always kept diets to myself because I always knew that I would regain the weight as fast as I lost it. I was always on my way up or down. So, now I am committed to succeed, and owning up to the surgery is part of that commitment. Plus I think the more people that learn about VSG surgery, the less stigma there will be about weight loss surgery in general. This is my opinion. You have to do what is comfortable for you. Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing![/quote']

Well said!!

I think saying you had your gallbladder out isn't a bad 'excuse', but I wouldn't say that you're losing weight because of complications from the surgery. People will have a lot more questions then, and probably genuinely worry, especially once you lose 50-75-100+ lbs! If someone told me they had complications from surgery and then they started losing their hair, and lost 100 lbs I'd think it was cancer, fear for their lives and bug them constantly for fear they might die! Seriously.

Your loss won't necessarily be noticable right away to many people, but once it is and the questions start rolling in, maybe just tell people that having your gall bladder out made you want to lose weight so you've been exercising more and eating less. Which won't be a lie! You really will be exercising more and eating less! That's what I've been telling everyone, I'm 10 months out now, and no one knows any better. I, personally, keep it that way. I have told a very select few people, it is a very personal choice and whatever you decide to tell people, I hope you don't tell them you're sick or had complications because they will genuinely be worried sick with concern. Just my two cents.

Do what is right for you and know you'll have support here.

One thing to consider if you tell people you are having your gall bladder out: many people who have WLS will need to have their gall bladders taken out after, because the rapid weight loss causes gallstones. So there is a chance you could tell people you are having your gall bladder taken out and then need to come up with another story when you really do need to have your gall bladder taken out in the next six months or so.

I have seen other people use these surgery "substitutes"

--I'm having a large hiatal hernia repaired (then you can say your doctor put you on a medically supervised diet to make sure you don't get another, as obese people tend to have a high rate of hernias)

--I have terrible stomach ulcers and I'm having the portion of my stomach with the ulcers removed as nothing else has healed them (this is basically saying you are having a partial gastrectomy but just giving a different reason for it, it will also explain your weight loss after).

http://health.yahoo....t/gastrectomy/2

If you really want to stop people and their prying questions dead in their tracks:

--I'm having anal fissures repaired (or hemorrhoid removal surgery) - and then you can explain later that your doctor put you on a medically supervised diet after to lose weight, as these conditions are often tied to morbid obesity.

I am hoping to keep my upcoming WLS a secret from most people. I hate lying but can't tolerate hearing everyone's opinion

Do you think it's believable to I'm having my gallbladder removed? Then when I start losing weight I was going to say I had some complications with the surgery.

I agree with ur desires to remain private..Im preop and planning to be sleeved 12/2/13...I work at the hospital I am having my surgery done and I am actually requiring that my name be changed to an alias while I am having any WLS preop procedures and during my inpatient hospital stay. As I do not want anyone (co workers tend to be nosey & judgmental) and I don't need them to be in "my" business. I have decided to only tell my boyfriend and my 23 yo daughter( my daughter is very supportive, my boyfriend will be supportive,but even he is a little apprehensive about the entire process)...to help my mom not worry (I'm a only child) and my mom really stresses over my health, and therefore even with her love & continual support, she will just not able to understand and may be a little overwhelmed and that will create stress for me, so i made the difficult decision to tell my mom, I'm having a hernia removed. After I have recovered, i will sit her down and tell her the truth. Some say it's deceptive, but it's my choice who I want to tell based on the support I need. So I say all this to say to you...tell those who you choose, and know that it's your decision. We all understand ( especially me). Best of luck

One thing to consider if you tell people you are having your gall bladder out: many people who have WLS will need to have their gall bladders taken out after' date=' because the rapid weight loss causes gallstones. So there is a chance you could tell people you are having your gall bladder taken out and then need to come up with another story when you really do need to have your gall bladder taken out in the next six months or so.

I have seen other people use these surgery "substitutes"

--I'm having a large hiatal hernia repaired (then you can say your doctor put you on a medically supervised diet to make sure you don't get another, as obese people tend to have a high rate of hernias)

--I have terrible stomach ulcers and I'm having the portion of my stomach with the ulcers removed as nothing else has healed them (this is basically saying you are having a partial gastrectomy but just giving a different reason for it, it will also explain your weight loss after).

http://health.yahoo....t/gastrectomy/2

If you really want to stop people and their prying questions dead in their tracks:

--I'm having anal fissures repaired (or hemorrhoid removal surgery) - and then you can explain later that your doctor put you on a medically supervised diet after to lose weight, as these conditions are often tied to morbid obesity.

All excellent substitutes!

You telling them your having your gallbladder out is nice, because you do not owe anyone an explanation . It is none of their business , I am not telling them anything .