Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on the 17th of Sept. so I am just a bit ahead of you (at 2 1/2 weeks). Even though I am still tired and trying to figure things out, I feel MUCH better than I did at 1 week. I feel pretty much back to my old self, accept for the changes on the eating side. I have become more used to the liquids and eating the 1oz portions of food and looking forward to my 3 week check and expanded soft food diet. I am not saying I don't have my moments (like laughing with my hubby because every commercial is food related and I just want to take a big bite of anything), but I know in the end this will be positive. So, just HANG IN THERE!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel, and it has gotten better day by day!

Just as most have said, it does get a little better each day. It seems (based on my own reading of many posts and my own experience) that day 6 is kind of the magic turnaround day. Hang in there, but don't forget that if you are worried about something, even if you think it might be nothing, your clinic would rather you call and ask about it instead of sitting home and worrying or being more uncomfortable than necessary.

Some tidbits that I hope will help along the way:

Never be afraid to call your surgeon if you have a question

Understand that your hormones and emotions are likely to be all over the place while you lose and adjust. Don't give yourself a hard time about it, but think critically about what you are experiencing so you can get a sense of if you could benefit from counseling or medication.

Be careful about your nutrition. Now that you have had surgery, what is likely to cause you the most ill effects is when you don't eat or don't eat enough instead of when you eat too much, like before. Going into semi-starvation is scary, dangerous, and can take a long time to recover from.

Don't let nausea or nausea-like sensations get out of control. It will affect your ability to stay hydrated and nourished. If you need stronger nausea meds, ask for them! Vomiting will also increase the swelling in your stomach, which will exacerbate the nausea.

Take this time to think about what you need, and take care of yourself. This whole thing is about your health (I assume...). Give yourself the tools you need to become a healthier person in general.

Don't compare your weight loss to others. You are going to lose at your own pace. You are going to have periods of time that your don't lose the way you think you should. It just is... Accept it. It will be okay.

Don't set unrealistic expectations for yourself, only to beat yourself up about not satisfying them. My clinic still only wants to see 1-2 pounds/wk, just like if we were on a regular "diet". It is simply not realistic to expect a 20 or 30 pound loss every month. It happens for some people, but that's really not the norm... If you seem to average about 10 pounds/month, be really excited about that, because that is awesome!

I'm sure there are about a million other things, but above all else, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Best of luck to you. I am certain that you will be feeling worlds better in just a few days, but should you experience some complication, don't panic and don't feel like all is lost. Complications are manageable. Just ask for help. There are very, very few situations that create lasting problems. Nearly all complications are minor and can be easily addressed.

As others have said, it does get better. I remember feeling the same way and now I'm almost 5 months post-op and down 67 pounds - I don't regret the surgery at all. You just had major surgery a few days ago, ANY surgery is going to make you feel like crap at first, so give yourself some time to heal before you start thinking of regrets. What got me through the rough days in the beginning was focusing on the fact that each day would be better than the one before. This isn't an easy process, physically or mentally.

Take your pain meds - I took them like clockwork for the first several days, then I was able to just take at bedtime. And I carried a travel neck pillow with me everywhere. It was my best friend. Hold it against your stomach when you cough, sneeze or get up and down out of bed/chair. This may be TMI, but it helps in the bathroom when you have to "go" as well. Stay hydrated - really focus on the Water right now, then Protein. But staying hydrated is most important for now. Also, your emotions are going to be up and down. I ate my emotions so I was a MESS without my food to comfort me (therapy helped with that). Maybe keeping a journal may help with the emotional stuff.

Just remember, it DOES get better. So hang in there, keep reading the experiences of others on here and know you are not alone.

I promise you that it will get better. I am 5 months out and 79 pounds down from surgery. Things will change. You just went through major surgery so it will hurt for awhile. I had thought the same thing but I continued to think of how I will be a healthier person for my life and future family. Keep your head lifted... Welcome to the "Sleeved" life!

I was sleeved on the 30th Sept. I am really regretting this. I feel incapacitated due to incision pain and just over all feeling like crap. Emotionally feel like I have created a life long night mare for myself. More I read' date=' more I wish I had not gone down this path. Just traded one set of problems for another. Really disappointed in the outcome so far, the pain I can deal with but holding my belly just to go to the bathroom? I mean I really can't go to the store doing that. So down right now....[/quote']

You just had major surgery, you need time to heal. I was miserable the first week. But after two weeks I was good as new. It gets better every day. Just focus on healing now. It is totally worth it. Do you have a drain? Once that thing is out, it's incredible how much better you will feel.

Good luck and be optimistic!! :)

This surgery will make your life and health much better in the long run :)

Sleeved on 10/2 ... Home yesterday afternoon. I'm tearful and in pain today. Im also overwhelmed at all of the stuff I'm suppose to be doing now w Vitamins etc... Please tell me this gets better ;(

By day 7, a little cloud lifts.. It's almost like it comes in stages. Hang on in there, you'll be fine. :) x

By the middle to end of week 2 you will feel like a completely different person. When I returned to work one of my co-workers kept getting on to me saying I was trying to do too much and remember "you just had major surgery, even if you don't feel like it now". Your body is recovering and once it is ready you will bounce back and it will be wonderful!

Chin up, you did your research before hand and were prepared, you have your reasons for choosing this surgery and in due time you will understand and see all the positives of your decisions! :)

Definitely hang in there!! I had to hold my belly to pee, cough, laugh...etc...I'm 3 wks out & how I feel now is completely different from then! I read other posts saying hang in there too & I was thinking I will never feel good again but it's true! As my Dr put it your body just had a total metabolic makeover, it needs to recover. every day u will be able to drink a little more, thus feeling a little better. The incision soreness will subside & life will be a whole lot better. Keep your chin up! :-)

I felt the exact same way and still kind of do. I understand what you're going through and I feel the same way but it does get better. I had my surgery on September 23 and I'm arty starting to feel better day by day

you WILL feel better each day. the first week is really tough, we all go through the emotions and the physical pain doesn't make it any easier. i'm 2 weeks post op and i'm definitely feeling like myself. it's just a matter of trucking through it, because, like everyone else is saying, it really does get better. hang in there, you made a great decision to better yourself!

Most of us had "buyers remorse" the first couple wks. There r a few people here that had an easy surgery, easy recovery, and the lbs r melting off. The rest of us were in pain for a while, depressed about the liquid diet, and fight for every lb we lose. I'm in the latter group too.

I had a band revision and my dr took an extra 30. Ins to dig my band outa my stomach, making my recovery worse than usual. I regretted it the 1st 10 days or so. But as my husband reminded me I had to have my band out anyway so what's the big deal with adding something else?

When ur able to eat actual food again, ur post op pain is gone and ur seeing results on the scale, ull feel better about it. Whether u do or don't, its over. U can't get back most of ur stomach. U might as well embrace it and move on

Hope ur feeling differently soon. Not too many people a yr out regret their decision

Thanks for all the support. Been way rough time.

Omg.. You all have such wonderful words of encouragement! Thank you :) post op day #3 and I've been a crying/overwhelmed mess. I just stare at all those darn Calcium chews/vitamins/protein concoctions - I don't want any of it : / I just want to sit on the toilet or get in bed without feeling like my abdomen is ripping in half