Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fiddle' date=' from what you've said in the past you do not have that much skin. Why don't you post a pic for us to see. As I told alliekat, there is such a thing as a mini Tummy Tuck which is cheaper and less invasive...meaning recovery would be easier.[/quote']

In a few days, after vacation bloat wears off. Remind me please.

Thanks guys, i will look into that mini. Never in my life did i think I would visit a plastic surgeon--go figure. its like yogi berra says, prediction is very hard, particularly about the future.

fiddle - I am kind of enjoying that you are as vain as me..haha

Honestly though I think you should consult with surgeons - they are free and you learn alot about what procedures make sense for you. Plastics are about tradeoffs and each individual is different. I did alot of research before going to Mexico, and I think the two of the best local plastic surgeons after massive weight loss are Dr Mary Peters in Seattle and Dr Egrari in Bellevue. They have lots of testinonials on realself.com and Dr Peters has an amazing hardcopy book in her office of before and afters that goes back for years.

so, on the recovery - i am two weeks out from a jumbo operation where there were 2surgeons and did multiple procedures at once. NO way am I ready to go back to my desk job. I am planning on 4-6 weeks off tho I hope to do some professional development stuff during that outage. I am still needing naps and alot of mental as well as physical resting.

fiddle - I am kind of enjoying that you are as vain as me..haha
Yup - I am a bit vain sometimes when it comes to appearance of core region. :) maybe that will lessen after I get rid of the annoying skin that refuses to melt away around my belly button. Just one of the gang here on VST...

Be careful with the drains! I had one grow into my skin on my butt cheek! That was the worse pain ever!!! It was bandaged in and didn't move when I did..so my skin grew over it! In a few days...not even a week. Horrid!

Yup - I am a bit vain sometimes when it comes to appearance of core region. :) maybe that will lessen after I get rid of the annoying skin that refuses to melt away around my belly button. Just one of the gang here on VST...

Careful....did having VSG cure you of your eating disorders or other personality issues? No. Plastics does not cure the head. But you may feel better about your physical appearance.

I'm having my panniculectomy on November 5, because my insurance will pay for it. My surgeon suggested that I have a strong core and thinks I will be happy with that, would I like a tt sure but I dont have an extra $10,000 . I have a heavy lifting job, so I'm out for atleast 6 weeks. Butter, they have told me to sleep in a "beach chair" type of position did you have a special pillow, or just many?

I'm having my panniculectomy on November 5' date=' because my insurance will pay for it. My surgeon suggested that I have a strong core and thinks I will be happy with that, would I like a tt sure but I dont have an extra 10,000 . I have a heavy lifting job, so I'm out for atleast 6 weeks. Butter, they have told me to sleep in a "beach chair" type of position did you have a special pillow, or just many?[/quote']

I slept in a recliner for a while. Then I bought a couple of those bed wedges....one for my upper body and one for my legs. At least with those I can sleep in the bed. But getting in the bed was almost impossible till about day 10.

I slept in a recliner for a while. Then I bought a couple of those bed wedges....one for my upper body and one for my legs. At least with those I can sleep in the bed. But getting in the bed was almost impossible till about day 10.

Great... My recliners are horrible! And my bathrooms are on different levels of the house, so I either climb stairs to go to the bathroom, or sleep in my bed. Where did you find your bed wedges?

Careful....did having VSG cure you of your eating disorders or other personality issues? No. Plastics does not cure the head. But you may feel better about your physical appearance.

Hope you know I was poking fun. A little vanity is a good thing..keeps us on our toes in maintenance!

i thought about your comment since yesterday. I know it is very common to state that that WLS fixes the stomach and not the mind. However, I really have to wonder if, in fact, WLS does fix the mind in certain cases. Those with chemical and hormonal imbalances in the body may find a certain movement towards homeostasis after WLS surgery that balances out destructive eating and/or addictive behavior. We have seen certain conditions like diabetes managed better or eliminated. Why is that? The endocrine system is not directly associated with the digestive system. Why not consider that mental conditions like binge eating, anorexia, OD and bipolar tendencies, are also managed better or eliminated after WLS due to the same changes in hormonal communication channels within the body. The body is always trying to achieve homeostasis. The opposite is true also; that is, a person may became out of balance from a change in hormonal communication as one system in the body overpowers another system in overlapping hormones or metabolites. Every process in the body is controlled by hormonal and chemical reactions. It is a hypothesis and I did not search for any credible studies to back it. Apologies if my description is chalk full of factual error. I do not have a scientific nor a biological background, but do have an interest in how the body works with respect to diet and supplementation, particularly the mind.

i thought about your comment since yesterday. I know it is very common to state that that WLS fixes the stomach and not the mind. However, I really have to wonder if, in fact, WLS does fix the mind in certain cases. Those with chemical and hormonal imbalances in the body may find a certain movement towards homeostasis after WLS surgery that balances out destructive eating and/or addictive behavior. We have seen certain conditions like diabetes managed better or eliminated. Why is that? The endocrine system is not directly associated with the digestive system. Why not consider that mental conditions like binge eating, anorexia, OD and bipolar tendencies, are also managed better or eliminated after WLS due to the same changes in hormonal communication channels within the body. The body is always trying to achieve homeostasis. The opposite is true also; that is, a person may became out of balance from a change in hormonal communication as one system in the body overpowers another system in overlapping hormones or metabolites. Every process in the body is controlled by hormonal and chemical reactions. It is a hypothesis and I did not search for any credible studies to back it. Apologies if my description is chalk full of factual error. I do not have a scientific nor a biological background, but do have an interest in how the body works, particularly the mind.

Here's what I can tell you in support of some of this, with a sample size of one. Two years ago I was misdiagnosed with lyme disease which I did not have. The treatment almost killed me. During three months, I lost 40 lbs, because I was unable to eat. I survived on a quarter of a Peanut Butter sandwich and half a Protein shake daily, and only because my husband forced me to eat.

I came out of that experience with a RAGING hunger like I've never had before. No matter how much I ate, I could not get enough. Never EVER full. This from someone who had starved herself for years. I put back on all the weight and then some within the next five months.

Think of that. I put on 50 lbs in 5 months. Clearly, no one can eat enough to put on that much weight with 3500 calories per excess pound on TOP of your BMR. My body was maximizing and hoarding every calorie I put into my mouth. So I ended up at my all time high weight, and a never-ending hunger.

I know now that it was my body seeking homeostasis, and preparing against another traumatic starvation, but there didn't seem to be an end in sight.

I had the surgery. I was hungry from day 3 onwards. But it's manageable hunger. Okay fine, that happens to most of us. Here's what else changed for me.

For years I lived on 1200 calories and monitored. I went to fitday.com the other day and saw I have been monitoring calories since 2007! That's a lot of damn years. I have been vigilant about my intake for all those years. And I lost nothing. I was happy to just maintain.

Now, I am vigilant about what I eat--and I lose weight. Granted 700 calories is a lot less than 1200, but still, I believe something has changed.

Here is my non-scientific/pseudo-scientific hypothesis. The surgeon said I had a very big stomach. I asked him if I had stretched it and he said, no just big naturally. When I ate 1200 calories and my stomach didn't stretch with the food, I think my body believed it was starving and it sent me in search of more. Now, with a smaller stomach, the stretch receptors know I'm full. That is part of how satiety is achieved. If I am full, perhaps it thinks I'm not starving? I don't know.

All I know is that for years I did the right thing and didn't lose weight. Now I do the right things (albeit with lower calorie levels) and I lose weight. How can it not be the surgery that was the catalyst for it?

Mind and body are inextricably linked. Psychosomatic pain is still pain. Stress still makes cancerous cells grow. Maybe smaller stomachs change things other than intake?

Also think of all those who give up diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. meds within days. DAYS of surgery not weeks. Something shifted in their chemistry.

Rambling, thanks for reading :)

i thought about your comment since yesterday. I know it is very common to state that that WLS fixes the stomach and not the mind. However' date=' I really have to wonder if, in fact, WLS does fix the mind in certain cases. Those with chemical and hormonal imbalances in the body may find a certain movement towards homeostasis after WLS surgery that balances out destructive eating and/or addictive behavior. We have seen certain conditions like diabetes managed better or eliminated. Why is that? The endocrine system is not directly associated with the digestive system. Why not consider that mental conditions like binge eating, anorexia, OD and bipolar tendencies, are also managed better or eliminated after WLS due to the same changes in hormonal communication channels within the body. The body is always trying to achieve homeostasis. The opposite is true also; that is, a person may became out of balance from a change in hormonal communication as one system in the body overpowers another system in overlapping hormones or metabolites. Every process in the body is controlled by hormonal and chemical reactions. It is a hypothesis and I did not search for any credible studies to back it. Apologies if my description is chalk full of factual error. I do not have a scientific nor a biological background, but do have an interest in how the body works with respect to diet and supplementation, particularly the mind.[/quote']

There is a huge difference between VSG addressing blood sugar issues and VSG addressing eating disorders. There have been many documented cases of VSG eliminating the need for insulin meds in diabetes patients. But this forum is full of people with food addictions who still have those addictions post VSG. Just look at all the "when can I have macaroni and cheese again'" threads. The sad fact is the food addictions can be addressed, but not surgically.

A person's self image can be improved through plastic surgery, but yet chronic low self esteem cannot be touched on an operating table, because the problem is not in the excess fat or excess skin...the problem is in the head and heart.

btw totally off-topic but I blame the vibes in CowgirlJane's head for all the strife we're seeing on the board. Remember when she wanted some high drama threads and we had none? now a person could go pick the ones they want.