Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I consider myself fairly tolerant of stupid people (or I mask it well), but...

It just goes to show you that Americans are losing sight of what good portions are. Yes ours are less than normal, but not THAT much less that what it should be.

Oh, mine is FAR less than normal. I might have 3-4 tablespoons max. I am aware of the fact that it looks pathetic, but it doesn't need to be pointed out to me because, well....I MADE IT!!

:lol:

I took pms pills a package of double stuff oreo and a box of 22 bullets the cashier looked at me and I said one way or the other it will be over tonite. That got a real look they did not ask any more questions. You just need a good look of shock and start crying and that ends it also.

Oh goodness! I was buying a bunch of underwear of all sizes for a women's shelter as well as flushable wet toilet paper for my Sleevilla issue (lesson #2 in my signature). The look on the teenage boy's face who was ringing me up was priceless. Poor thing must have thought I blew out all my underpants.

oh my!!! Awesome posts...I needed to laugh tonite.

Oh please, please, please do me a favor!!! The next time the checker makes a comment about your lunch, say "Yeah, I'm trying to starve the tapeworm I swallowed to lose weight. I figure I've lost enough this way, and my doctor said this would make it much easier to remove." Then report back with the reaction! Video would be awesome, but probably a logistical nightmare. I'm sure the checker will believe you at first. The expression should be pretty priceless.

I'd say just play with them. It'll be way more entertaining than eventually blowing your top.

People can be so unbelievably stupid... I'm in public health, and I always figured I was of pretty average intelligence... until I started my current career. Now I have come to learn that there is a whole segment of the population that really skews the idiocy quotient...

Good luck!

So I graciously smile and nod through most of the goofy compliments because I know people mean well. The "you are wasting away to nothing" (I'm not)' date=' the "I need to go on whatever diet you are on" (no, you don't, you weigh like 80 pounds MAX), the "you were pretty before but you look SO MUCH BETTER now" (I do), etc. I chuckle on the inside when people ask me how much I've lost and how much I weigh now because I know they want to do the math and see what a manatee I was. I know that if they are ignorant enough to ask that, they are incapable of doing the math without pencil and paper. I smile along when they ask me if my husband likes the new me, cuz GOD KNOWS how he could have ever liked me before. I can even take it when I pass on a goodie while out in public and someone says, "OH YEAHHHHHH!!!! You are dieting!!!!!!", and look knowingly at whomever we are with. But the one thing that happens almost every freaking day that grates my last nerve is the salad bar at my local grocery. Yes, I do realize this is petty and that it's really nothing to be upset about. I'm NOT upset, it just irritates the FOOK out of me for some reason I can't name other than the fact that I am a grown adult. I work out of my car most days. Our local grocery chain has a great salad bar with fresh fruit, veggies, Soups, meats, prepared mayo-based salads, etc. I can go in and get a few pieces of fruit, a tablespoon of my favorite seafood salad with a little extra crab leg mixed in, a bit of teriyaki beef with a stir fried onion, maybe some light tuna salad or a hardboiled egg, whatever I am in the mood for and just the right amount for less than 2. It's a bargain and I rarely ever need to throw anything away. It's great! The only drawback is the cashier, and it's a different cashier EVERY.FREAKING.TIME because I go to different stores and through different lines almost every time. The comments on my pathetic little plate make me want to jam a pencil through my eye!! "Oh DEAR!! That's not enough!!!" (Uhmm...thanks for letting me know!! I'll run right back and get more!) "Goodness! Are you trying to starve yourself?" (No, if I was trying to starve myself, I wouldn't be eating at all.) "Honey, I am sure your husband wants you to eat more than that!!" (My husband doesn't feed me nor does he tell me what to eat.) "Is that all you are having? That's not enough to feed a baby!!!" (Thankfully, I am not a baby.) "You do know it's OK to eat in public, don't you dear?" (Have you seen the size of my ass? Yes, I know.) "Now you know that you are just going to go home and eat if that's all you are having for lunch, right?" (Well, yes, I do plan on eating again some time today.) I could go on and on. I know they mean well/are just trying to make conversation/insert whatever excuse you want to make for them here, but it drives me up a wall. I try and hold back my smart ass rebuttal, but I am so afraid that dam is going to break one day on some poor unsuspecting cashier. Sigh... Lord help me.[/quote']

Best way to solve it is write a letter to the company and let them know. It should be a policy to not make personal remarks about people's food choices. I bet they would never tell someone you don't need all that fattening food do you? Lol. The other option is to just tell the truth and let them know....your personalized remarks are unnecessary, but thank you for sharing. Lol. Then you'll be the b***h. We always are as women when we speak truth. Now keep that pencil locked away. Lol

This is soooo funny!!! i had people commenting on my portion size during lunch hour at work... but now every1 knows about the surgery so no more looks and questions!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VST

I agree some people have no idea what we are going through nor do they care. I tell people how I had to do the pre op diet and you would think I was talking about how I starved on a desert island because no one except those that have been sleeved or banded knew what the heck the pre op diet was all about. I see a lot of people that want to loose a little weight and they say go ask Fred about a suicide or starvation diet. Some people ask me everyday they see me are you ok as if I look like I'm dying . Some ask how much are you eating you have lost a huge amount of weight, when was your surgery, are you healthy ? I work in a field where I'm constantly either getting disrespected or praised,it just depends on who is at work.

I have been frequenting my grocery store since it opened 4 years ago. I also shop for my job and because of that most of the cashiers know me pretty well. Well, my favorite cashier (not because of her chatting, but because she doesn't try to destroy my groceries when bagging them) almost got tackled by a large woman (said woman being me) last week. We have always eaten very healthy at home, and our cart has always shown it. Anyway, last week the cashier looked at me, tilted her head, and said "I always wonder, why you so big when have such healthy groceries every week?" She is no longer my favorite cashier grr...the nerve of nosey people!!

Take it as a back-handed compliment? (Despite it being mortifying, I'm sure)

I have been frequenting my grocery store since it opened 4 years ago. I also shop for my job and because of that most of the cashiers know me pretty well. Well, my favorite cashier (not because of her chatting, but because she doesn't try to destroy my groceries when bagging them) almost got tackled by a large woman (said woman being me) last week. We have always eaten very healthy at home, and our cart has always shown it. Anyway, last week the cashier looked at me, tilted her head, and said "I always wonder, why you so big when have such healthy groceries every week?" She is no longer my favorite cashier grr...the nerve of nosey people!!

OMG! I am speechless!

OMG! I am speechless!

Yeah I was too!! I think she was trying to actually compliment me. I honestly feel she was, in retrospect, but instead she completely insulted me. She waves at me every time Im in the store(she even did yesterday), and has sought me out when Im in a long line to come to her line. But, she just didn't use that skinny little brain of hers.

If she wasn't such a good cashier, I would have complained. Maybe...if I were thin I would have complained (serious life long self confidence issues to work out.). But I didn't. I just shrugged when she asked and she kept on chatting like everything was normal. It only made me mad for a few hours. (I didn't even get upset later and go into any downward spiral binge !! I just vented to my hubs and that was the end of it) I honestly forgot all about it until I read this thread lol

:faint:

You are a stronger person then me for not saying anything. I am still in shock by her comment.

The things people say without realising they are being offensive - it;s amazing. Once the secretary at the school I used to work told me that EVERYONE was amazed at how well I dressed and that all my clothes matched!!! She said that I had great taste for a fat person - and she actually did mean it as a compliment. I smiled and explained that a high precentage of body fat does not usually interfere with a person eyesight and that people who are overweight do not have bad taste - just a much harder time finding affordable clothes that suit them. Then I asked her if she thought that if I ever managed to lose a lot of weight that I would lose my sense of decency along with it and become as ignorant and rude as the rest of them. She never made another comment to me. In fact I think she was afraid to speak to me at all for a while.

The things people say without realising they are being offensive - it;s amazing. Once the secretary at the school I used to work told me that EVERYONE was amazed at how well I dressed and that all my clothes matched!!! She said that I had great taste for a fat person - and she actually did mean it as a compliment. I smiled and explained that a high precentage of body fat does not usually interfere with a person eyesight and that people who are overweight do not have bad taste - just a much harder time finding affordable clothes that suit them. Then I asked her if she thought that if I ever managed to lose a lot of weight that I would lose my sense of decency along with it and become as ignorant and rude as the rest of them. She never made another comment to me. In fact I think she was afraid to speak to me at all for a while.

Yay! Priceless!!