Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Negative comments...

So I am about 6 weeks out until my approval date and I am having a hard time with negative comments. My bosses daughter just had roun y bypass and keeps saying how she regrets it how she is always sick....thus my boss relaying this bad info to me. I am having the sleeve and feel its right for me. I am the same weight as that girl so they are say pretty much saying really your not too fat...231. this surgery is for 300 plus people. Over weight. is overweight in my eyes....

Someone always knows someone's who had bad luck with something, just tell them that you thank them for their concern but this is a decision that's yours and they don't have to like it, but they can either support it or keep quiet.

Good luck to you. Only you know what will be good for you.

Ok she says she is always sick this could be true. But is she always sick because she is not eating the right things?

Just because someone says they are doing everything right doesn't mean they are. I am not saying she is or isn't but you have a lack of information to go by.

There is always risks with any surgery. In the end its your life and your choice. I made my choice and I never been happier. Also I am a French model. Bonjour!

Just stick with a stock answer. Mine was "my doctor and I have decided this is the best option for me." If they continue on after that, said "I understand your concern, but I have made my decision." Lynda

Someone always knows someone's who had bad luck with something' date=' just tell them that you thank them for their concern but this is a decision that's yours and they don't have to like it, but they can either support it or keep quiet.

Good luck to you. Only you know what will be good for you.[/quote']

Thank you...I am keeping that in my head. plus its a totally different procedure roun y bypass compared to sleeve right?

Thank you...I am keeping that in my head. plus its a totally different procedure roun y bypass compared to sleeve right?

My brother had a bypass 8 almost 9 years ago... And its been great for him! Everyone and every procedure are different... But once you make this decision for you. Then you know what you are willing to do for your health.

You can't let what people say get you down. One of our NNP's here in the NICU - her daughter had the same procedure I did (sleeve) and she's had a ton of complications - every story is unique and different - however complications ARE NOT the norm. I had ZERO. ZERO food intolerances (not exactly proud of that part)... I'm eating 1300 cal's a day average and still losing 2lbs a week on average fairly consistently... Still have 20lbs to go until "IM" happy.

It is impossible to compare yourself to anyone else in the WLS world. People experience the weight and the surgery differently. I think it would be very hard to have my boss and his daughter saying how much she regrets her decision, but she isn't you and if you have done the research and attended the classes and understand what you are geting into with this tool, then your eyes are open and your decision is what is best for you and your health. Be polite to these folks, but don't let them sway you from your path. Good luck with your surgery!

Don't let someone else's horror story discourage you. I bet if you were having a knee replacement, you'd get just as many stories about their nephew, grandpa or even their dogs bad experience.. Its all irrelevant.'

I've only ran into two people who were negative towards me. My uncle and my coworker. My uncle said that it was the easy way out and that its too dangerous and kept pushing me to not have it. I finally told him I was going through with it, it was my decision, and that the surgery he was thinking about was 15 years ago. I told him they have come a long way.

My coworker I still have problems with to this day, and probably should speak to HR about them. She made it very clear that she was against it and that eating the right things and exercising would work (even though she knows how much I was working out every day and watching what I ate, because she told me that I needed to get a new hobby after work and stop eating salads because it makes her feel bad), but still decided to ask questions. So I thought by answering the questions, I could make her see why this was the best decision for me. She still seemed to have her doubts, but I figured it was more related to concerns due to the amount of get well messages she text me while I was in the hospital and the week after. When I finally came back to work, she had told everyone that I work with that I had the surgery. There is only myself, my boss and this one individual in my office, but she had gone to other offices and departments to share with them why I was out. It wasn't really her business to share, and the only reason I shared with her is because I thought I could trust her, and like I said there's only three of us in the office. So when I first returned, I was treated like someone close to me had just died. Everyone just had a look of sympathy and treated me like I was about to break at any moment. Then once I proved that I was fine, with the help of some others that had gastric bypass, everything seemed to get back to normal, and I even started receiving compliments. Then I hit a stall. I was very frustrated and after days of her continuously asking how I was doing, I caved and mentioned that I was stuck. BIG MISTAKE. Next thing I knew, I had another woman who had the gastric bypass several years back (who doesn't even work in the same building as us) came to my office and sit down and tell me that it sometimes happens but keep doing what I am doing. Another woman was trying to give me advice. The third just wanted to keep complimenting me to try and make me feel better. So I was blown away that my coworker yet again went and told other people my business. So when I confronted her about it, she told me that she just sees me struggling so bad and would never be able to do what I am doing. I am not struggling, and I told her that I'm not and that I don't know why she assumes that I am. And she said well you can't eat hardly anything. I told her its not that I can't, its that I don't want to. Also when they remove the majority of your stomach, the idea is so that less amount of food is required to fill you. I just am so frustrated with this woman. I should have known better then to ever open my mouth to her, but being such a small office, I felt compelled too. Its come to the point of not sharing any information at all. When she asks how I'm doing, I just ignore her and remind myself how far I have come and how great I feel. I have let me boss know of my frustrations, and spoke candidly to my HR person just in case she starts gossip again.

My advice, share the information with only those you want too. Something I read was that the sleeve patients lose slower then bypass patients, so depending on how much you need to lose you may be able to get away with not telling anyone. I know my cousins coworker had it done, people assumed she did, but she insisted it was just diet and exercise. I was lucky to have so many people support me and it (I don't count the majority of them telling me I wasn't that big, because just saying that meant I was big and needed something done). And another big thing is just let the negativity just roll right off you. If you try to be a positive thinker, it will out weigh the negativity anyone is trying to throw your way.

Besides, struggling at 6 weeks out is quite normal. Even with the sleeve... I was just returning to feeling somewhat normal at 6 weeks post op...

Surgery is a HUGE decision, I am not judging at what weight it makes sense - we all have to decide for ourselves and there are many factors that go into it.

Your boss could or could not mean well. How much time you taking off after the surgery? Maybe the boss secretly does not want you to take the time off . You taking time off, the boss might feel he has to take on a new hardship. I would thank him for his concern and let him know you have a group of competent doctors and you understand the complications.

I had a few negative comments and still get them from time to time. But I am very open about my surgery. There are 2 people at my work getting it done now.

I fine the people who are the most negative are the people that are over weight.

Your life, your decisions!

Yup. I took the easy way out to have most of my stomach removed in Tijuana, then eating about 800 calories a day for most of a year, and exercising my ass off....LITERALLY! It was super easy.

Tell those negative commenters you appreciate their point of view but are pushing on. If they persist? Tell them to go do some deep knee bends in the cucumber patch. You don't have time for that brand of crap!

Whew...clearly have some pent up hostility about negative comments!!! LOL