Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hello Everyone. I am actually a feb 27th banster and thought that if y'all didn't mind, after my surgery I could give you a 'blow by blow' account since y'all all are up next. It's kind of neat to be at the end of the month 'cause I have everyone elses stuff to read so I thought I could pass on mine too.

I'm about 5 days pre and I'm excited, scared, happy anxious. I'm afraid the day before I may be in tears all day. I'm having trouble picturing that I will ever be under 300 little long 200. weird weird weird. It's very surreal right now.

thanks,

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

That would be great! I have been checking back and forth w/ the February bandsters just to see how everyone's doing. It's a bit scary hearing about the after surgery pains and problems with sleeping, but it is to be expected. It is also giving me some idea as to what's normal and what's not normal after surgery. I ran out and got one of those bed/tv pillows (I forget who posted the picture of it) since I don't have a recliner at home. I had gallbladder surgery about 10 years ago and I remember it being very uncomfortable to lay flat and very difficult to pull up from that position so I thought the bed pillow was a great idea. I am looking forward to hearing about your surgery. Good Luck to You and Keep us Posted! :biggrin1:

Hello again to everyone. My surgery is scheduled for March 12th. I am to start my pre-op diet on March 2nd. 10 days of liquids/liquid Protein. I have not been very fond of any of the Protein Drinks out there. The shakes are nasty and too sweet... If I can smell the vitamin/iron in the the stuff, it gags me.. even worse when I can taste it.... I even went and bought some of the non flavored Unjury protein... unflavored...yes, but still smells and taste like vitamins..... uuuggghh!! The only drink I have found that I can even tolerate, not sure about for 10 straight days though, is the Isopure zero carb drinks.. they have a variety of fruit flavored drinks... like a juice/koolaid type drink already premixed in glass bottles... they have 40g of protein and my dr only requires 20 per day... I am so nervous about surgery itself and if I am unable to follow the pre-op just right, I am a fraid I will not shrink my liver appropriately for the surgery and cause a problem.... I know that this is why we have the 10 day pre-op diet... it has been explained to me .... I understadn the importancve, but I also have no will power and I too have been planning multitudes of last suppers......... not even hungry but I act like I am.

I don't think you really need "protein" drinks if your daily requirement is only 20g a day (which seems really low). Like Magnolia said maybe try the Slim Fast Optima or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Skim milk alone has 8g of protein per serving so 3 a day would fulfill your requirement. I have to have 40-50g of protein a day and I will say, the extra protein is keeping me fuller longer and keeps my energy up and you're going to need that during the pre-op and post-op phase. Keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. :)

I feel if I post this that it will somewhat hold me accountable.

2/20

B-Protein shake

S-South Beach Cereal bar

L-Shrimp Ceasar salad

D- Protein Shake

Water-80oz

Exercise-40 min circuit training

2/21

B-protein shake

S-South Beach cereal bar

L-Meatballs and veggies

S-About 10 pistachios

D-protein shake

Water-60oz

Exercise-none

Tammy: I have to tell you that BECAUSE of you... I brought 2 4packs of EAS Carb Control Protein drinks to work with me today AND 2 HB eggs!

I'm going to do what you are doing... 2 protein drinks and 1 lower carb meal.......... so even though I dont know you.. YOU WERE IN MY HEAD this morning!

Tammy: I have to tell you that BECAUSE of you... I brought 2 4packs of EAS Carb Control Protein drinks to work with me today AND 2 HB eggs!

I'm going to do what you are doing... 2 protein drinks and 1 lower carb meal.......... so even though I dont know you.. YOU WERE IN MY HEAD this morning!

Thanks alot Tracy! That makes me feel really good. There are a few people on this forum that motivated me to get started too. That's what we are here for...encouragement and support! Keep it up Tracy and you will be 25lbs lighter (or more) by the time you are banded. Now, I'm gonna go boil me a couple of eggs!:biggrin1:

I wasn't going to get a "ticker", but I hope that this will help keep me accountable. I want to lose 10 lbs before surgery. I hope to lose more, but decided to keep it simple. Hope this works (ticker that is)

TammyJ: just so you know..

I'M HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to drink a glass of Water and re-evaluate!

edited: OK.. I just ate my 2nd hard boiled egg and filled my water glass, and the momentary hunger pain subsided......

Day ONE has got to be the hardest!

Hi Tracyinks. I am on day 2 of pre-op diet. OMG it is hard. At least for me. The Slimfast doesn't keep me from getting hungry. I guess I am going to start drinking more Water and crystal light in between. I know what you mean about the last supper thing and tight pants. ugh! It is a good thing I finally got to the pre-op....which sucks... Anyway I know I have to do this for better saftey during surgery. Day after tomorrow I can substitute a garden salad for one SF. I will be glad to have something to chew on!!! haha!! Good luck to you too!!! What kind of pre-op do you have to do?

TammyJ: just so you know..

I'M HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to drink a glass of Water and re-evaluate!

edited: OK.. I just ate my 2nd hard boiled egg and filled my water glass, and the momentary hunger pain subsided......

Day ONE has got to be the hardest!

Surprisingly, I am not hungry! Not at all...not even on the first day! The whey Protein Shakes are really filling...or maybe I'm just trying to make myself believe that. Either way it is working! :clap2:

SugarBear: Well ... I'm on a self imposed pre-op diet to lose 25 lbs before surgery........... My doc is one that doesn't require one... 24 hours prior is Clear Liquids and no eating after midnight the day before.

But I am at my top pregnancy weight and If I don't start SOMETHING I'm going to be even higher........ plus trying to get down some now will only help me to be well on my way before summer hits!

I am on my second week of pre-op diet. The doctors are going back and forth about if they will do the surgery they want me to lose more weight. I have lost 15 pounds so far this month my surgery is scheduled for March2. I have to call in every morning with my weight I guess to make sure I lose every day. plus I have the flue and feel rotten.

I guess I am just having a bad week. My 17 year old moved out last night and said he is moving in with a friend from school.

I feel ready to just forget the whole thing. My husband is a wonderful man and has never complained about my weight and has always been supportive, but he thinks that the band will fail like all the times I have tried to lose weight. Anyway thanks for letting me sound off

Hi All :)

I'm pleased your first day went ok for you Tammy, TracyinKs if you drink 2 glasses of Water before you eat, it should help take off the curb a bit, but its horrible feeling straving. The last diet I did properly was the Lighter Life one (just fluids:shakes/Soups and bars) I managed it for 5 weeks, then caved in as I could'nt cope. I know after surgery we have to follow just a Fluid diet for 5-6 weeks, but at least we know we can eat again. One friend of mine did the Lighter Life diet for 7 months, and she was not very well at the end of it and got quite ill....

Things are tough at work for me at the moment, emotionally its so easy to cave in and just eat junk :) I'll try not too.

Take care

Hugs Wilma,

You'll get through this difficult time, its hard letting your kids go (even though they never actually go, but move on) Dont let this difficult time stop you moving forward, to be the person you want to be and look like, belive in yourself, we all belive in you, youve taken a massive step...keep going...

I am on my second week of pre-op diet. The doctors are going back and forth about if they will do the surgery they want me to lose more weight. I have lost 15 pounds so far this month my surgery is scheduled for March2. I have to call in every morning with my weight I guess to make sure I lose every day. plus I have the flue and feel rotten.

I guess I am just having a bad week. My 17 year old moved out last night and said he is moving in with a friend from school.

I feel ready to just forget the whole thing. My husband is a wonderful man and has never complained about my weight and has always been supportive, but he thinks that the band will fail like all the times I have tried to lose weight. Anyway thanks for letting me sound off

Hang in there... by the way.. If you don't mind posting.. what are your stats? I didn't see them in your profile. I love that you are a bookstore owner. I am an inside sales rep for the international division of my book distributor company.

Tracy

Wilma: Hang in there!!!!!!! and as for your husband... it isn't HIS journey its yours..... (my dbf is the same way... he loves me and says Whatever you want to do is fine, but then he throws a bit of a hissy fit if I say that I need to eat something low carb/low sugar) He's like WHY???

and......... I've had Water, but my boss is eating Wendy's FRENCH FRIES and I'm going CRAZY