Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hello March Bandsters.

My surgery is 3/29/07. I live in Iowa. My surgery will be in Grinnell, Iowa.

I am a bit nervous, but mostly because I am planning to have surgery Thursday / return to work Monday (and not tell my coworkers what's up). Plus, my husband leaves for a week-long biz trip on Monday, and we have three kids to cart around (seemingly from dawn to dusk). We are trying to line up some help to come and stay with me while he's gone. My mom is coming but sometimes she's as much work as the kids. At least she can drive them around and manage stuff while I rest. (They are mostly self-sufficient anyway.)

I am nervous about the anesthesia, the pain, the catheter (ick) and the fact that they might make me stay overnight. I am pushing for same-day release but will play it by ear.

This is a great website.

I wish it was 64oz but I'm averaging about 40 oz now. My biggest worry is that I'm not getting enough calories right now. Today I had that Protein test tube which was 200 calories and some protein pudding for 100 calories. But that's it. Any suggestions for getting in more calories right now? I'm on full liquids until April 5th when I see my doc for post op visit. Gonna try for some whipped cottage cheese and skim milk tomorrow.

:) Virginia

I was worried the first week also re: my calories, protein, and Fluid amounts. Could only do about 40 ozs and 400 cals. It gets easier to increase volume the second week. I try to get a Protein Drink in every couple of hours and sip something all day long (Medifast drinks/soups, slim fast shakes, Isopure, broth, juice). I add unflavored Protein Powder to whatever I'm having. I also add melted cheeses and sour cream to my Soups.< /p>

I'll be 3 weeks post op on Monday. I'm averaging about 1000 cals and 70 gms protein, and having 12 ozs of pureed food (4-6 oz at a time) and 65 ozs of liquids. Had to work my way up to this gradually, though, and didn't push it at all. I think I'm going to call my nutritionist tomorrow to make sure I'm on track with this. I worry that I might be having too much pureed at a time. I think the recommendation is 2-4 ozs, but I thin mine out until almost drinkable. Anyone getting other recommendations for pureed?

Hello March Bandsters.

I am a bit nervous, but mostly because I am planning to have surgery Thursday / return to work Monday (and not tell my coworkers what's up). Plus, my husband leaves for a week-long biz trip on Monday, and we have three kids to cart around (seemingly from dawn to dusk). We are trying to line up some help to come and stay with me while he's gone. My mom is coming but sometimes she's as much work as the kids. At least she can drive them around and manage stuff while I rest. (They are mostly self-sufficient anyway.)

I am nervous about the anesthesia, the pain, the catheter (ick) and the fact that they might make me stay overnight. I am pushing for same-day release but will play it by ear.

This is a great website.

Congratulations and welcome! I had my surgery on a Monday and was back to work at my desk job that Friday. Didn't have any problems, but work was about all I could do for the day. You'll need to get home and rest right after. Hopefully your mom will be able to shuffle kids and cook.

The sooner you get up and walk after surgery, the sooner they will release you. Make sure the anisthesiologist gives you the stuff to prevent nausea. Lortab is a wonderful pain med, and so is the anti nausea med (Promethazine). Lots of people don't even get cath'd with this surgery.

Best wishes.......you'll do great!

Hiya All,

Sugarbear - thanks for the advice for after sugery, I think a lot of the April 07 bandsters are reading avidly on this site now, as were all going to be in the same position this time next month.

Tammyj - yep 10 days and counting, tell ya Tammy the time is flying by now (thankgoodness!) just got to get through next week, then its my turn...yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!!

Thanks for the abreviations link, thats real helpful

Sara xx

You note that your scars are smooth and FLAT, but you said you keloid. Do you mean you normally keloid when you get other scars?

My port sight is about an inch and it is flat - however my other 4 scars did keloid. I don't know how to make them go flat. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Hi guys..I weighed this morning and am down FOUR KILOS...that is about 9 pounds in a week. How CAN that be? I am drinking like crazy, so it isn't Water weight.....

I also had the waterproof bandages removed and am only left with the "ductape" holding my incisions closed... I can see the edge of the port scar, and if it is ANY indicator, this surgeon has magic hands... It looks smooth and FLAT! And, I keloid!!!

Desiree1970 - 03/23

:gluck:

Grits!!!! I would kill for some REAL grits. All I find here in Nebraska is quick grits. I used to live in Albany Ga and could eat grits 3 times a day. Love the stuff.

Yes, REAL grits is plenty in the south. If you still have family in GA, maybe they can ship you some...they'll get to you just in time for mushies. I was actually told I can have grits during my full liquids stage, but they have to be runny. I decided to wait until the mushies stage so I can have them like I like them.

Hello March Bandsters.

This is a great website.

:welcomeB: Syrah and Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

CrazyCran - 03/21

lilnena - 03/21

blondylocks - 03/21

Famos - 03/21

eclipse - 03/21

dawnie1856 - 03/21

anon - 03/21

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

thanks TammyJ. everything turned out great, just extremely sore.

Eclipse

I was just banded on Monday and it was amazing what a whirlwind it was in the hospital once I got to the operating room.

I think I am in the state of depression you all are speaking about. I'm in a lot of pain still. I tried driving today and just turning the wheel and getting out of the car was pretty painful. I was always an emotional eater and now with the stress and anxiety and time off work, I'm wishing for comfort food. :)

I was pretty hungry today, which has been a change since my surgery. I couldn't get down the Protein Shakes I needed (just too much liquid) so I went out today and bought those test tube bullets of Protein. God they are so horribly sweet, but at least it gets me my protein. I'm building up my Water intake. I wish it was 64oz but I'm averaging about 40 oz now. My biggest worry is that I'm not getting enough calories right now. Today I had that protein test tube which was 200 calories and some protein pudding for 100 calories. But that's it. Any suggestions for getting in more calories right now? I'm on full liquids until April 5th when I see my doc for post op visit. Gonna try for some whipped cottage cheese and skim milk tomorrow.

:) Virginia

I was banded Monday, too. I'm jealous that you get to eat pudding, protein shakes, cottage cheese, and skim milk now! I'm still on Clear Liquids but tomorrow I get to have full liquids--I absolutely can't wait! I've been drinking those test tube things of protein every day, too. They are terribly sweet but I dilute them with an equal amount of water and that seems to help. I've been getting extra calories by putting sugar in tea and drinking high calorie juice like grape and apple (no orange or grapefruit since they aren't clear).

I've been able to drive fine and have HAD to do a lot of it so I'm happy about that. It's strange how different we all are! I'm back at work today but it's a desk job and I don't need to get up or help people unless they come through the model home (I'm a realtor) and so far no one has come. tomorrow will be a different story, for sure. The port site is definitely the very worst pain but I was able to sleep well last night on my side even! So things are improving. Every day is better--hope that is true for you as well. Good luck in your recovery!

I feel like crap today. Part of it is gas pain but its not that bad. To tell the truth, everything related to surgery seems to be getting better and better. But now I have a cold and sneezing and coughing sucks. Mother nature also decided to rear her ugly red head today so I have cramps. I also get "hot flashes" this time of the month. I know I haven't drank enough of anything today as I just as soon stay on the couch with my heating pad.

I had an important busness phone call set for 10am so I decided to wait to take any pain meds until after the phone call. Guess what? The SOB was two hours late. By that time the pain in my left shoulder was pretty bad.

Does anyone know if I can have pulp free orange juice yet? I am 3 days post op and on clear liquids until April 3. I really, really, really want orange juice.

Does anyone know if I can have pulp free orange juice yet? I am 3 days post op and on clear liquids until April 3. I really, really, really want orange juice.

Sorry you are having a bad day! My doctor says no orange or grapefruit juice right now because of the acidity. Also, since you can't see through it, he doesn't consider it a "clear" liquid. My "full" liquids start tomorrow--5 days post op. I'm so sick of boullion, clear Protein Drinks, Jello, and fruit 2-0. Yuck. Can't wait for that very thin bowl of Cream of Wheat in the morning--mmmmmm. I may not sleep well in anticipation. Can't wait!

hope your day turns a corner--take care of yourself!

I'm wondering if anyone besides me is constantly burping (surgery was Monday). Everytime I drink anything, including Water, boullion, clear Protein drinks, etc. (I'm still on clear liquids), I burp for hours. Could it be from drinking too fast? I don't feel any restriction so I just drink as usual. I've tried slowing down but I still get it--but it may be from hours ago when I drank too fast. Anyway, any suggestions or similar experiences?

I am walking about 10 to 20 minutes every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I am finding that I get really gassy after my walk. I feel it in my lower chest area. The gas x seems to do a good job getting rid of it. Anyone else have this problem after walking.

Mrs. Husker, usually the walking and movement helps get rid of the gas. I guess it is stirring yours up! It will still help.

I wonder if you posted your mailing address how many boxes of grits you would get??I know I would send you a box! Take care and keep moving.

I feel like crap today. Part of it is gas pain but its not that bad. To tell the truth, everything related to surgery seems to be getting better and better. But now I have a cold and sneezing and coughing sucks. Mother nature also decided to rear her ugly red head today so I have cramps. I also get "hot flashes" this time of the month. I know I haven't drank enough of anything today as I just as soon stay on the couch with my heating pad.

I had an important busness phone call set for 10am so I decided to wait to take any pain meds until after the phone call. Guess what? The SOB was two hours late. By that time the pain in my left shoulder was pretty bad.

Mrs. Husker, so sorry about the cold. Coughing? That has to suck! Call your doc and see what he might give you for some relief. Take care.