Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

momlambert, so sorry to hear about your father... Once again, so sorry about your dad. Please keep us posted.

Thanks Sugarbear, demmemoon, Kyethra, Pam, and Tammy for your empathy and support. i read your posts to my husband and he said, "There are really nice people in the world, aren't there?" How true. Thanks so much.

I spent about 6 hours at the hospital with my Dad today--I was so grateful to be able to do that. I got to talk to the doctor, the caseworker, the hospice representative, and MOST OF ALL my Dad. It was a very nice and profitable day and one I will always be glad I had. My Mom and sister saw me lowering myself gingerly into the chair and asked if my back was hurt or something. I told them I actually had some outpatient surgery on Monday to repair a hiatal hernia (which is true--maybe not ALL the truth but still true). They were briefly annoyed I didn't tell them sooner but with Dad's problems, etc. they understood why I hadn't concerned them about it. Went well and they understood why I wasn't there yesterday.

i made it through the day and then drove back home 40 miles and slept for a few hours. Feeling quite well right now. I wish I could have helped get Dad back home and settled in but i was way past my recovering comfort point.

Update on Dad: the cancer is very progressed and is nearly blocking the colon. Dr.'s are thinking 2-6 months. We will meet with the surgeon in a week or so--not to take heroic measures but to make him more comfortable, if possible. Hospice is wonderful--I actually volunteer for them but in a different city than my Dad lives in.

Thanks again for your advice and concern. You are the best! Karen

First day of mushies!!!! I can't believe I am this happy of cream of wheat!!!:clap2:

I'm so excited for Sunday morning to come--I've looked forward to Cream of Wheat since I saw it on the mushies diet. Later that day I'm having mashed potatoes and banana squash. Can't wait!

Here's something to look out for. I usually get Protein Shakes from the fitness club i belong too. They contain whey Protein, pb, a banana, ice and some kind of dairy. They make these in a blender. They must get really airated when they're blending them, because it felt like I swallowed a bowling ball the whole afternoon after I drank one. So - maybe those aren't a good idea after being banded

my first mushie was devine. I took a little ricotta cheese (like 1/3 cup) put it in a little ramekin, put a tablespoon of Tomato sauce over it and 1/2 tsp parmagiano cheese, grated and baked it...yummo that filled me up which is so funny cause in the past if i went to an Italian restaurant i would have eaten a ton of bread/butter, salad, Pasta etc etc..

The Dr allowed me to start mushies a few days early, and I only had to beg a little:)

but let me tell you I am starting to get really frightened about having my forst PB on of these days..it seems to happen to everyone at some point..and I dread the reality of it.

Hey everyone! SO great to have found this thread. I was banded on 3/5. It's so great to see everyone's progress and have support from people who are having the same "issues"

I read earlier in this thread that someone (sorry still can't figure out how to go back and grab a particular quote) was talking about Muscle Milk. Read the label. A co-worker proght some in for me because he knew that I was drinking Protein and he owed me luch LOL. When I read it I opted not to drink it because of the sugar and fat contenet. It really seems to be a high calorie drink with protein added.

I know that we are all different and our doctor's and nutritionists are giving us our own specific instructions. I just thought that I would share my own observation. I've opted to drink Isopure, It sort of tastes like Gatorade but has 40 grams a botle and no sugar, no, fat and only 160 calories. Hope this onfo helps.

Nikki

More on the Muscle Milk. I like sweets and muscle milk is the sweetest drink I have ever tasted, I took 2 sips and read the label and poured it out.

I will go on the search for Isopure. However, my Dr. recommends NO MORE than 30 grms of Protein at one meal.

So about these PB things...first thing I thought of was how horrible it would be to throw up at a table of friends/family after eating dinner. I have a very sensitive gag reflex and so now I'm worried I'll be making a mess if I do PB because it will immediately turn into an all out puke. How soon after you eat does it happen normally? Do you do it like immediately after eating too much or will I have a little time to maybe make it to a bathroom or something? Stupid question and stupid concern ...especially since there are so many other things I should be worried about.

So about these PB things...first thing I thought of was how horrible it would be to throw up at a table of friends/family after eating dinner. I have a very sensitive gag reflex and so now I'm worried I'll be making a mess if I do PB because it will immediately turn into an all out puke. How soon after you eat does it happen normally? Do you do it like immediately after eating too much or will I have a little time to maybe make it to a bathroom or something? Stupid question and stupid concern ...especially since there are so many other things I should be worried about.

So long story REAL short.

Initially you will have alot of painl; like a piece of ice caught in the middle of your chest, then you think you should take a sip of Water but you don;t because the pain will intesify. You will get up and try to take deep breaths and open up your arms and you will lean over a sink or trash can and the saliva from your mouth will drip out and then slowly very slowly you will NOT THROW UP but just kinda like get whatever is caught in your stoma out, it does not gag you.

There is nothing immediate about it, at least for me.

I wish there was immediate because I would have been out of pain, but it all lasted about 30 minutes.

Yup that is what PB was like for me too. So far I am on only liquids but I have a ton of restriction. Second day post op was the first time I PBed. I drank too much at once. It was when I was taking pills and I washed them all down... But then a while later I got the feeling.. and it was uh oh feeling. I don't know if you get reflux at all t but it was sort of like that. I also threw up a couple of days later. First it was the tightness in the chest. But it was tighter than I get with my GERD. And it did feel different... A lot of pressure. And then saliva and stuff started to come up. And then I pbed foam a few times (now that I am over it and no longer worried I think its pretty damn cool) Then it was all over after a while- like thirty minutes-- and I took a tiny sip and kept up with well spaced tiny sips the rest of the night. And I was sore afterwards. Since it was so early for me I had to stay on Clear Liquids another couple of days. A couple of days after the first incident I did throw up some slimfast. Just a couple of sips worth. I was having a post nasal drip moment or two and I was trying to spit it all out (sorry if I am making anyone gag here) but it made me gag and that made me vomit. I actually felt a lot better once I did vommitt. Cause I had been standing over the sink for about 15 minutes before that worried about not throwing up or another long incident but it was quick the second time. Then when I was all done with my nose I went back to sipping on my slimfast and it was just fine.

I have had a couple of other incidents where I wasn't sure what way something was going to go. In those cases I found that sometimes a sip or two and a few spits into a paper towel or two as well as a heating pad on my chest helped it all continue going down nice and smooth. I also encourage myself to burp cause it seems I sip burp sip burp, etc.

I have to drink pretty slow. Today I went out to dinner with some friends and I had some milk with Unjury mixed in. It took me as long to drink that glass of milk as it did for them to eat their dinners. Heavier stuff like applesauce and pudding actually seems to go down easier-- its got gravity to it maybe :) So I am just sipping and breathing and sitting up straight. I have another week until mushies. Maybe I convince the doc to let me have cottage cheese a little early...

But yeah, you know something might or might not happen before it does. That feeling is your cue to go the bathroom or wherever you prefer to spit up. I've taken to calling it spit up at home cause sometimes i just need to spit something that came up out-- like mucus I guess. And I try to have lots of napkins or baby towels. Sort of like a baby.

HOLY GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!had a situation with sf pudding today..ate it too fast I guess, no pb or slime JUST P-A-I-N!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG, MY QUESTION IS HOW WILL WE KNOW IF WE ARE HAVING A HEART ATTACK OR NOT??Seriously, that is not something I don't want to happen again. I have only had sips of Water since . Pam and others did you guys panic? I had to talk myself off the ceiling and used my beloved heating pad and burped and it finally passed.

Momlambert- your posts about your dad kinda made my eyes misty. I am so sorry that you are going through this now. Just remember that this is major surgery and you must take care. I live in fear of something happening to my parents and I am so far away. Take care ok? Spend as much time with him as you can, the memories will last you a lifetime.ps. don't tell them of your surgery if it causes you more stress..stress is bad.

Magnolia- congrats on the loss! I had the baked ricotta and it was delish- actually one of my favorites.

Denise- believe it or not I have never eaten cream of wheat and 2 weeks ago was my first serving of oatmeal. It was delish, not a big fan of hot Cereal I guess.

kyethra- how is everything going? Is the pain settling down?Interesting getting used to living with this band!