Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi, Thanks for all the support and glad people are appreciating my "recipe" if you can call it that:)

Now that the operative pain has mostly subsided I am starting to question this whole thing. Everytime I read about another food that people cannot eat, I realize that as much as I read before surery I did not really know how many foods may not be tolerated with the band. I thought that the adjustment would be smaller quantities of most foods, more chewing, no drinking while eating and no soft bread or dry chicken. I was prepared for that, but didn't realize that I would not be ablle to bite into an apple and enjoy it etc etc...I am just not sure that I would have gone through with all of this if I had known the details.

But on the other hand, I really need to lose weight for my health, high blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. Maybe I am going through a post-operative depression. anyone else questioning their decision at this point?

Magnolia;

Post op depression BIG TIME.

But: Definately no drink while you eat~bewcause it flushes the pouch and you will not feel full. Apples? I have eaten apples~no problem. Bread~ gets "gummy" in your pouch and so if you have to have bread make sure it is used to slop up the Soup or the stew so it is REALLY drenched with liquid so it won't "gum up" in your pouch. Those rules aren't that bad~what else do you have that you are concerned about? And~everybody is different, so I may do okay on apples but somebody else might not do okay. The only problem I have had is fried chicken in a chinese restaurant and I got stuck on a piece so I had to PB.

~This too shall pass....

OK tonight I was able to eat about a cup of food but I have not had a fill yet ( I go next Monday) it's still less than I usually eat but I don't feel uncomfortable so I am guess I'm ok what do you think (anyone)

Hi Glogirl. I just returned from my post-op (2 wk.) check-up. They told me this would be the hardest time, from now until I get a fill. I was cautioned to still not exceed 1/2 cup of food per meal. Of course I have been on liquids for two weeks, now I can have purees, pudding, hot cereals, pudding, yogurt, cream Soups without thinning them ect. So it is not far from liquids for another week. Whew! Next week I can have soft veggies, tuna and chicken salad(creamy consistency). Although I can have soft scrambled egg this week. I do not feel full, nor unconfortable. Haven't since surgery either. She said this period of time would be hard because all swelling would be gone and there would be no restriction. Nothing to keep me from feeling hungary. So I guess I will have to depend on will power, that's scary. If I had that I wouldn't be here in the first place! haha. I will be glad to get my fill too.

Pam,

You were banded on 3/1 and already eating solid foods? My Dr. said not till after 4 weeks. when did you start the solids? Have you tried unfried chicken at a chinese restaurant..like the kind in chow mein or chicken/broccoli? CAn you eat raw carrots and other veggies? I think I am going to have egg drop Soup tonight. Ohh have you tried chinese dumplings? how about just the inside meat part?so many questions..but thanks so much ..i feel better now.

Here's something to look out for. I usually get Protein Shakes from the fitness club i belong too. They contain whey Protein, pb, a banana, ice and some kind of dairy. They make these in a blender. They must get really airated when they're blending them, because it felt like I swallowed a bowling ball the whole afternoon after I drank one. So - maybe those aren't a good idea after being banded

I had asked my dr about the pb and bananas because I was all ready to make a smoothie with that kinda stuff and I was told no. Something about them being sticky so they don't go down as well. I can have them when I'm back on regular foods, but just saying this might be the bowling ball feeling you mentioned. :P

Just wanted to say Hi All,

I'm really finding all of your posts really helpful now as in what to expect, and I'm encoraged to see how your all doing post op. Its only a week and a half away then its April..... 12 days till surgery....GULP...

Hello Sara Mos. I am 2 weeks post-op. I feel great. I had discomfort with the air for a few days but this support group on here told me exactly what helped and that was walk, walk, walk, and move around as much as possible, also use a heating pad. I did and it was a tremendous help. I got out and walked at night even to move that air around and help dissipate it. My anethesist also told me to stay on the move. Your drs. team will probably advise you too. I have had several surgeries and this had to be the easiest. Knowing what to expect and being prepared with things when you return home will be a plus. Follow the rules of the band that your surgeon gives you and your results will be good. Think positive. Keep us posted. Good luck

I hate this time frame - I cant wait until 3/27 @ 2pm - my first fill. I get the full feel after eating but I can eat anything. I want a fill. I have good restriction in the morning - usually don't get hungry until around 10 am - 11 am. I don't eat and drink at the same time and I even try not to drink for an hour or two after eating (so I don't wash my food out my pouch). My weight is yo-yoing between 184-181. I was able to put on a siz 14 but I did squeeze into them and my belly, love handles, and back were hanging over the waist part.....but with a long shirt that went down to my thighs, They looked good - I can't wait to get rid of my mid-section!!!

Pam,

You were banded on 3/1 and already eating solid foods? CAn you eat raw carrots and other veggies? Ohh have you tried chinese dumplings? how about just the inside meat part?so many questions..but thanks so much ..i feel better now.

I have been eating solid food from about week 1. I have not had any problems but would not recommend my theory to anybody. Yes I have tried everything and am eating totally normal, sometimes a slightly decreased appetite though.

Momlambert- your posts about your dad kinda made my eyes misty. I am so sorry that you are going through this now. Just remember that this is major surgery and you must take care. I live in fear of something happening to my parents and I am so far away. Take care ok? Spend as much time with him as you can, the memories will last you a lifetime.ps. don't tell them of your surgery if it causes you more stress..stress is bad.

Thanks, Sue. We lived in Tokyo for four years so I know just how you feel about something happening to your parents while you are away. One reason we came back to settle in Utah after 20 years away was so that we would be here for our parents as they age. I'm so glad I'm here right now.

We spent the morning with Hospice today and got things settled with them. Tomorrow we go to the pcp and, hopefully, learn more about the prognosis and our future journey. I'm so glad to be able to be part of my dad's team right now.

I told my family I had a hiatal hernia repaired (which I did) and that is working for now. I'm really tired today with no nap and lots of stress and strain and activity but I've done okay with no pain meds. I'll certainly be ready for bed tonight. Tomorrow will be hard with the dr. and it is my first day back to work (desk job) but I'm optimistic that all will go well. I think we find strength (or are given it) when we most need it.

Good luck to you all in your own personal journey and trials. Karen

I have been reading and reading and reading! SDo m=nice to hear what "real people" are thinking and not just what the "info-mercials" want you to hear. I have not yet been banded, but found this group, as I have had to know that the first part is really like!

I want (need) to loose about 100 lbs and have my first appt with a Dr. next week! I hope (I think!) to get this ball rolling FAST!

Already looks like insurance is going to be a problem...can anyone give me an ida on the cost?

Thanks for listening! KIM

What does PB mean? I an new.

Thanks.

you sound like me my first week on this site! If you look under FAQ's on the home page (under LAP Band FAQ and References), you will find lots of good info including pb and other abbreviations. The link is http://www.lapbandtalk.com/abbreviations-and-they-t7959.html

But, in the meantime, PB stands for productive burp or productive belch. There's lots of discussion on this board about what causes it, what it feels like, how to prevent it, and why it is different from vomitting.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions--I'm fairly new but have spent a lot of time on this site. Just got banded Monday!

Already looks like insurance is going to be a problem...can anyone give me an ida on the cost?

Thanks for listening! KIM

Insurance seems to be a problem for many people on this site. Our insurance flat out refused so we are self-pay. Lots of people on the site seem to be self-pay as well. My surgery in Utah cost almost $13,000 and that includes the first year of fills, office visits, nutrition, support groups, social worker, and the surgeon's fees if you have complications and have to go back again for surgery during the first year. After the first year fills are $245/year.

Many people go to Mexico and seem to pay around $7,000-$8,000. i don't know what that includes but i get the impression it includes the hotel and all the expenses while you are there. I doubt it includes air fare. And I know it doesn't include fills. If you go to Mexico you have to find a doctor near you who is willing to do fills on bands done in Mexico. Sometimes you eat up your savings from going to Mexico in the fills and other expenses afterwards. You just have to research it and decide what is best for you.

Good luck on your journey! Karen

I went to Mexico and my price includes the fills. I just pay $100 for flouro(spelling?).

Stacy

Do you have to go back to Mexico to get the fills or do the dr.'s have a reciprocal arrangement with dr.'s in the States? Just curious.