Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

I've been craving tuna, so I made this creamed tuna Soup. I'm sure it would work for salmon:

Melt 2 TBS butter

Add 2 TBS flour and stir until thickened

Then 1.5 cups of milk and wisk

Add 1-4 oz can tuna (or salmon) and stir until thick

Puree in blender

I also added onion powder and pepper and dill to taste. Makes 2 8oz servings. With tuna calories=258 and protein=22grams. It's really yummy!

Oh that sounds yummy! I'll have to try it! Ive been thinking of tuna myself!

Thanks for the recipe.

My surgery was scheduled for today but Dr. Adams thought that with being on antibiotics for sinus infection we better postpone it for now. I am discouraged about having to do 10 more days of the pre-op liquids. I have done 2 weeks already and lost 18 pounds. I am trying to hang in there but it is really hard! They called me and said my new date is 3/29/07. Another countdown is on!

SO my first thought is.... Can you go eat the one meal that you have been craving and then start back on the liquid diet? he he he he

Can you be put on the "on call" list in the event that someone cancels or do you really have to wait the entire 10 day prescription duration?

Don't let it get you down, it really is only 10 days, and in the long run it really is not going to matter, and what the heck you "are" losing weight.

And the most important thing is you will still be a March bandster!!!! We won't lose you to the April group. (not that they are not nice but, we like you here)

To clarify, this is what my post-op instructions say when moving on to mushies. I assume because before we have proper restriction we may be able to tolerate more than this, but 3/4 cup of food should be my max. So far, I've only received post-op instructions, but I did receive a card to carry in my wallet that says this person can only eat 1/4 cup or 2oz of food at a time. I am assuming this will be after proper restriction is acheived.

Above all, we should follow our Dr's orders.

From what I remember I think they said that in meals I will eat about 1/2-1 cup of food at a time (less if I am satisfied sooner), but no more than 1 cup. I have to look it up in my booklet again to be sure. I have a nice detailed booklet the dietician gave me! So I think it really does depends on your doctor and maybe exactly how he or she does thing in their protocol and all that.

Personally I am nervous about the whole not drinking while eating things. What if I want something really salty everyonce in a while or something with a little spice? What if I want to eat popcorn? Can I rinse my mouth out if I don't swallow stuff? Or maybe rinse it out and take a tiny sip or two? Dh and i like tai food for example and I usually have them make mine extra mild because I can't handle spice but everyonce in a while--- whoo! its a bit spicey for me (and probably me alone). I've always drunk a lot with meals (I tend to get a dry mouth) so I hope this part isn't too hard!

I am a week out and I have lost 10 pounds!!

I am still amazed every day that I just am not hungry like I was before.

Glad to hear it's working out great for you Hazel. We shall see how mine turns out. Its tomorrow, I probably won't be able to sleep a wink tonight.

Eclipse

So today I am in a lot of pain and its not from any of my incisions. Its actually not on my entrapped nerve ending that i have in my abdominal wall but its near that spot- just over from it, actully, so I suspect that is the main culprit and that it is referred pain. It directly underneath an incision and the incision is where I usually get referred pain and other issues (like a node, muscle tightness, etc) so I guess that maybe since that spot isn't currently available due to its healing my body went ahead and picked the next best spot for reffered pain or something. None of my incisions hurt anymore at all though except for my port one and that one isn't so bad. But today this nerve ending stuff is just agonizing-- I put a lidocaine patch on all offening areas but its not working yet. If this pain keeps up I'm going to need something stronger than vicoden. Yesterday I was able to get up and do the dishes, but no today. I really can't move around with it like this. I'm so glad my surgeon listened when I asked him to put my port in on my right side-- he did. The offending nerve ending is on my left side. I would hate to think what it would be like now if it were on the same side as the port! If the pain keeps up I can see when my anesthiologist in the chicago area can see me-- thats only a two hour drive. And if for some reason he can't figure it out there is always mayo pain clinic... Wish me luck with my lidocaine Patches. All of you gals are going back work and here I am still in bed, I feel like such a wimp!

Was directed to this site by Hazel and am so glad I checked it out. Now that I'm caught up after 2 days of reading the 85 pages, I'll post about me. :welldoneclap:

I'm "penciled" in for my surgery on March 30th. I have an appointment with surgeon Thursday for what...I'm not sure. I was just approved last week. I'm not sure what to expect from this first appointment and really hoping everything that he wants done can be done before the 30th so my surgery can happen then.

I appreciate all the things you guys have been sharing and identify in some way with each of you.

I was just telling my husband today that for some reason I have this underlying anger going on right now and I don't know why. After reading through the posts this morning I think you guys have helped me figure it out. I am a confessed food addict and so even though I am so glad I'm getting this opportunity and I've wanted it for awhile now, I'm still angry with the way it's going to affect my relationship with food. Like an addict about to be sent to rehab, I'm just mad in general. It's not at anyone specific or anything...just mad in general. Anyways, the husband has been warned and he's so sweet and supportive, he just gave me a hug when I was telling him all this earlier. He didn't try and say anything or try and "fix" it because it's not something that can be fixed. The way I see it, it's just part of the phase transition that is occuring in my life and "this too shall pass."

Look forward to continuing to read and follow everyones progress.

Medge

You hit it right on the head for me. food, is my addiction. Whether it be phsyical/emotional or both.. addicted I am and it's a huge issue we still have to face after being banded. My husband, though he only weighs 165 soaking wet, can relate because he is an alcoholic(recovering, hasn't had a drink in 5 yrs) and said basically the only difference that he can see is that I still have to eat to survive but be able to eat and moderate it, and he doesn't have to drink to survive. We don't keep alcohol in the house or go to parties that will serve it.. it's kind of hard to avoid food.

good luck,

Tracy

Was directed to this site by Hazel and am so glad I checked it out. Now that I'm caught up after 2 days of reading the 85 pages, I'll post about me. :welldoneclap:

I'm "penciled" in for my surgery on March 30th. I have an appointment with surgeon Thursday for what...I'm not sure. I was just approved last week. I'm not sure what to expect from this first appointment and really hoping everything that he wants done can be done before the 30th so my surgery can happen then.

I appreciate all the things you guys have been sharing and identify in some way with each of you.

I was just telling my husband today that for some reason I have this underlying anger going on right now and I don't know why. After reading through the posts this morning I think you guys have helped me figure it out. I am a confessed food addict and so even though I am so glad I'm getting this opportunity and I've wanted it for awhile now, I'm still angry with the way it's going to affect my relationship with food. Like an addict about to be sent to rehab, I'm just mad in general. It's not at anyone specific or anything...just mad in general. Anyways, the husband has been warned and he's so sweet and supportive, he just gave me a hug when I was telling him all this earlier. He didn't try and say anything or try and "fix" it because it's not something that can be fixed. The way I see it, it's just part of the phase transition that is occuring in my life and "this too shall pass."

Medge

Medge

Can I say something???

The worst part about getting banded is the time between after the welling goes down after being banded and your "fills" to be adjusted perfectly so you can enjoy food and feel satiated and eat a smaller portion of everything that you have ususally eaten before.

Getting banded is not the end of the world. As a matter of fact it is the first day of the NEW you! The greatest thing is that (perfect example) is the alcoholic probably can never again take a drink at all, because from that drink on they can not drink in moderation because they are an alcoholic. (synical correct me if I am anywhere out of line) For us the band is our CONTROLLER. We can eat, the band will keep us "in check". The band keeps us in check by making us throw up when we eat too much, and when you eat too much you are in major pain, thus we don't like pain and it does not happen too often. But in between the time the surgery when band is placed and we get adjusted the the perfect adjustment; is just a tough time for us because we are on the honor system (bad place to stick fat hungry people~without an armed gaurd watching the refrigerator) So, in that period time (called bandster hell) we bitch moan and groan that most of us are hungrier than we want to be and are "trying" really hard to eat much less and lose weight and we are impatient. So with that being said, when you reach "the sweet spot" usually a couple months after banding life will be sweet and you will be eating much less and feel satiated and be losing weight and feeling incredible.

I hope this helps! If you have questions post again and I will answer along with everybody else to help you as much as we can.

Hi all...just an update...surgery moved to 3/30...2 days later. Turns out the surgical routine got out of sync and thus the need for the move.

I agree.. like you I haven't been banded yet so I'm having to trust everyone else on this board that has already been banded. I to can't wait, yet at the same time am a little anxious... I'm a goob.

Can I say something???

The worst part about getting banded is the time between after the welling goes down after being banded and your "fills" to be adjusted perfectly so you can enjoy food and feel satiated and eat a smaller portion of everything that you have ususally eaten before.

Getting banded is not the end of the world. As a matter of fact it is the first day of the NEW you! The greatest thing is that (perfect example) is the alcoholic probably can never again take a drink at all, because from that drink on they can not drink in moderation because they are an alcoholic. (synical correct me if I am anywhere out of line) For us the band is our CONTROLLER. We can eat, the band will keep us "in check". The band keeps us in check by making us throw up when we eat too much, and when you eat too much you are in major pain, thus we don't like pain and it does not happen too often. But in between the time the surgery when band is placed and we get adjusted the the perfect adjustment; is just a tough time for us because we are on the honor system (bad place to stick fat hungry people~without an armed gaurd watching the refrigerator) So, in that period time (called bandster hell) we bitch moan and groan that most of us are hungrier than we want to be and are "trying" really hard to eat much less and lose weight and we are impatient. So with that being said, when you reach "the sweet spot" usually a couple months after banding life will be sweet and you will be eating much less and feel satiated and be losing weight and feeling incredible.

I hope this helps! If you have questions post again and I will answer along with everybody else to help you as much as we can.

I am a week out and I have lost 10 pounds!!

I am still amazed every day that I just am not hungry like I was before.

I am with you Hazelbunny - 8 days out and 5 lbs lost - and my appetite no where to be found.

Do you find that you are struggling at all with making sure you eat enough?

My sweet father (80 years old) went to the hospital on Friday with what we thought was pneumonia. Today he was diagnosed with colon cancer. I am waiting at home for my sister to call me with the results of the CAT scan but I am feeling so sad and helpless not being with him at the hospital. I had my surgery yesterday and am very miserable today. I don't think I can make the 40 minute drive and spend time with the family at the hospital without doing serious damage to my recovery. I'm the oldest child and, basically, the mediator between my mother and my other sister. I seem to be the one my parents trust and look to for advice and here I am at home with ice packs on my abdomen feeling like crap. What should I do?

I haven't told my mother about the surgery for too many reasons to go into here and I wasn't going to tell my sister but decided I needed for her to understand why I wouldn't be there Monday or probably for several days. She's stepped up but she and my Mom do not work together. Besides, I want to be with my Dad--we are very close. I just feel so helpless and so sad.

Is the third day generally better than the second? I felt better yesterday than I do today. Part of that is because I couldn't sleep at all last night--finally got to sleep for 2 hours around 4:30 a.m. this morning. Took a short nap today because I don't want to be awake again tonight. My port incision is just miserable. And I feel like I've been hit in my abdomen with a baseball bat or something. Moving slowly but trying to keep moving quite a bit.

Anyone else been through anything like this? Any ideas or suggestions for tomorrow? I really want to spend the day with my Dad tomorrow but I'm just so miserable today I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. It breaks my heart. I love him so much.

I am SO sorry. I do not know your situation or your reasons behind choosing to keep your procedure a secret but in my opinion, not knowing, I think you should let your family know you had surgery. From what I can tell, it might cause issues if you aren't able to be there, and I don't think you should push yourself TO be there. If you do go, and they don't know you had anything done, how will you explain your soreness and being tired etc? They will think something is wrong.

My thoughts are with you,

Just my 2 cents.. and probably not worth that much.

T

My sweet father (80 years old) went to the hospital on Friday with what we thought was pneumonia. Today he was diagnosed with colon cancer. I am waiting at home for my sister to call me with the results of the CAT scan but I am feeling so sad and helpless not being with him at the hospital. I had my surgery yesterday and am very miserable today. I don't think I can make the 40 minute drive and spend time with the family at the hospital without doing serious damage to my recovery. I'm the oldest child and, basically, the mediator between my mother and my other sister. I seem to be the one my parents trust and look to for advice and here I am at home with ice packs on my abdomen feeling like crap. What should I do?

I haven't told my mother about the surgery for too many reasons to go into here and I wasn't going to tell my sister but decided I needed for her to understand why I wouldn't be there Monday or probably for several days. She's stepped up but she and my Mom do not work together. Besides, I want to be with my Dad--we are very close. I just feel so helpless and so sad.

Is the third day generally better than the second? I felt better yesterday than I do today. Part of that is because I couldn't sleep at all last night--finally got to sleep for 2 hours around 4:30 a.m. this morning. Took a short nap today because I don't want to be awake again tonight. My port incision is just miserable. And I feel like I've been hit in my abdomen with a baseball bat or something. Moving slowly but trying to keep moving quite a bit.

Anyone else been through anything like this? Any ideas or suggestions for tomorrow? I really want to spend the day with my Dad tomorrow but I'm just so miserable today I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. It breaks my heart. I love him so much.

Tomarrow hopefully will be an improved day for you and hopefully you can go to the hosp to be with your Dad.

Maybe you can go even though you are miserable and say to them that you have a stomach virus, that would explain your suppressed appetite and you lack of energy and the hot water bottle etc.

Maybe you could ask your DH to go with you so he could make sure you are "really" doing okay in such a stressful situation, and typically in this situation it is a bunch of sitting around waiting for test results to come back.

I am sorry for such ugly news, but cancer caught early enough is curable, and just because it says cancer does not necessarily mean the end.

Keep us posted...