Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

hello march bandsters - I had my surgery last tuesday 6th march .. and honestly I was so nervous - never been under the knife in my life so was totally green about what to expect.. well let me tell you recovering from the anasthetic was probably about as bad as it got, I was very groggy. The surgery was fine though, and today 6 days after, I have inspected the wounds and although they are clearly visible, they are clean and already healing nicely. I suffer from claustraphobia and had this bizarre notion that having a band around my stomach may cause me some sort of panic attack (I hate wearing any constricting garments like girdles or roll necks) but that hasn't happenened. I know everyone says this to help calm the nerves before you are wheeled down or they're about to start the GA - but it's true ..DEEP BREATHING - do not panic - you will wake up, the operation will be over and then you can get on with your life! I'm such a sceptic about most things (one of my failings) and having done so many diets over the years and obssessed about food for so long that I feel like this is IT! I don't know if it'll work for me, but 6 days in I feel cautiously optimistic.. (for a change). Good luck.

annie

hello march bandsters - I had my surgery last tuesday 6th march .. and honestly I was so nervous - never been under the knife in my life so was totally green about what to expect.. well let me tell you recovering from the anasthetic was probably about as bad as it got, I was very groggy. The surgery was fine though, and today 6 days after, I have inspected the wounds and although they are clearly visible, they are clean and already healing nicely. I suffer from claustraphobia and had this bizarre notion that having a band around my stomach may cause me some sort of panic attack (I hate wearing any constricting garments like girdles or roll necks) but that hasn't happenened. I know everyone says this to help calm the nerves before you are wheeled down or they're about to start the GA - but it's true ..DEEP BREATHING - do not panic - you will wake up, the operation will be over and then you can get on with your life! I'm such a sceptic about most things (one of my failings) and having done so many diets over the years and obssessed about food for so long that I feel like this is IT! I don't know if it'll work for me, but 6 days in I feel cautiously optimistic.. (for a change). Good luck.

annie

Welcome! Like you, I obsess about everything. In my case, it is because I am a nurse and far too aware of all the possible complications. I had surgery on the 2nd and am feeling great. I have lost 9 pounds so far. I am among those with some constriction already. I felt it yesterday when I tried to eat something that was barely pureed (I am on a full liquid diet still). I feel great most of the time and have a great energy level. Like you, I have failed too many times to not be a bit anxious and skeptical. But, it is working.

I just had my lapband put on March 6. My surgery was around 11am and I was released from the hospital same day around 7pm, vomiting. I vomited and had excruciating pain all the way home until nxt day when my surgeon sent me to the ER. The ER didn't seem very busy but I was so sick that I didn't notice to much, but they didn't put me in a rm until 2hrs later. In the meantime, I went out to lay down in the car. Had to get that part off my chest because when someone is so deathly sick they need to find a place to put you the hospital. Anyway, they tried meds to stabilize my nausea enough to do a barium swallow. When they did the swallow my stomach was completely blocked off from swelling and imflammation. My surgeon came in and removed some Fluid from port and I was admitted to the hospital. I was just released from hospital late last nite. It has been a ROUGH journey for me. My surgeon has never had this happen to any of her pts and in fact said her gastric bypass patients don't even stay in this long. Coming along slowly as of now but much better then last wk. I don't want to discourage people but please keep in mind complications can occur with the lapband. Thanks for letting me vent. Hoping to lose 90lbs.........

Good Monday Morning ALL!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Band Day to all that are getting it done today! I am sooooo sleepy

Today is day 7 of pre-op diet. I am halfway through. That means only 7 days until surgery day! I can hardly wait! I have already lost 10 pounds on this liquid diet phase. My wonderful husband actually did the liquid diet all weekend with me for support. He has been great. I have an appointment with my nutritionist this afternoon at 3:00. Can't wait to hear what she has to say. Since I am self-pay this is the first time I have had to see her. Maybe she will explain the diet plan in a little better detail than just reading the handouts from my surgeon. Good look to all of you who are being banded this week. You are in my thoughts and prayers!:)

OMG Char that sounds terrible! isn't that typical I make a smug post then.. I guess everything I expected to happen to me and didn't - happened to you! so I really hope you'll make a good recovery. Here in UK I think it's pretty standard that patients stay overnight after surgery, it doesn't seem very good discharging you while you were still vomiting and possibly when you're better a strongly worded letter to the hospital would help. (I lived in States for a while and the hospital system drove me nuts - mind you ours here is no better). I'm also confused about the fills - as I didn't have anything apart from a band fitted.. presumably I'll get that when I'm healed? Anyway you take care and get well soon.

annie

good luck to everyone today!!!!!!!!

char- bless your heart, you have had quite a go of it. hope you are on the mend now- feel better,k?

today is a good day. no pain at all even at the port. i bought this soy Protein stuff with a large amount of protein stuff in it in france. today i decided i needed to get going with it- mixed it up OMG, GAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to say that it was disgusting would be a step up..but then I had an idea to mix a couple tsp.into yogurt and voila, i think i can do it.I cannot stand the taste or smell of these shakes- how do you guys do it??????

I would love to know what tou guys are eating besides broth, Tomato soups(I love them)creamy potatoes, tea , gatorade clear juices. what about protein sources?cheeses? cottage and yogurt? i baked some ricotta with tomato sauce it was way yummy..what else should i try??

I just had my lapband put on March 6. My surgery was around 11am and I was released from the hospital same day around 7pm, vomiting. I vomited and had excruciating pain all the way home until nxt day when my surgeon sent me to the ER. The ER didn't seem very busy but I was so sick that I didn't notice to much, but they didn't put me in a rm until 2hrs later. In the meantime, I went out to lay down in the car. Had to get that part off my chest because when someone is so deathly sick they need to find a place to put you the hospital. Anyway, they tried meds to stabilize my nausea enough to do a barium swallow. When they did the swallow my stomach was completely blocked off from swelling and imflammation. My surgeon came in and removed some Fluid from port and I was admitted to the hospital. I was just released from hospital late last nite. It has been a ROUGH journey for me. My surgeon has never had this happen to any of her pts and in fact said her gastric bypass patients don't even stay in this long. Coming along slowly as of now but much better then last wk. I don't want to discourage people but please keep in mind complications can occur with the lapband. Thanks for letting me vent. Hoping to lose 90lbs.........

Char, I really hope you're feeling better now. I was very worried about you. I wasn't too happy that I have to stay overnight in the hospital, but now I'm thinking it's probably for the best. I wish you all the best!!!

sue i had my band day after you and my diet is 'clear liquid' for 2 weeks! I've been watering chicken Soup down with coconut milk.. I dunno why but it gives a bit of kick and it's filling!

annie

Annie- that's a great idea. So , does that count as clear? I only had to do clear 3 days and then thick Soups etc. believe it or not if i thought I was ready i can start real foods V-e-r-y slowly. I am not ready. Are you hungry??

Well, I hope I am back for good! My computer is up and running again. What a fiasco with Tech Support!

Sugarbear: I had surgery the same day as you. You could have written my lapband story! As Pam said I ended up with hernia repair also. I had the same "gas" pains as you and in the same location. I kept denying they could be gas pains way up there! I talked to Pam and as she explained, they are not what we know as "normal" gas pains. It is much better now.

I still don't have much of an appetite and I have to keep better track of what I am eating. I think I am missing the Protein intake by a bit. I am going to do better starting today. Dr. Pam says that Protein is very important for me to heal. And...not to skimp on my pain meds. (Thanks Doc!) I have lost about 13 pounds since starting on the liquid before surgery.

Sue in Russia, I have some protein stuff from Wal-Mart. It tastes cruddy with just Water. Yesterday I mixed it with skim supreme milk and a little crushed ice. I added about 1/2 tsp of Crystal Lite (strawberry kiwi this time), thru it in the blender, it was excellent. At least it will not go to waste and it has alot of Proteins per serving.

I have been eating the Campbell's microwaveable Soups, yogurt, cream of rice, knox Jello bars, sugar free fudsicles. The Soups I only eat about 1/2 serving and then refrigerate the rest for another meal. They are very soothing.

Best wishes to all you already banded Marchers and for those of you coming up, we are watching for you and sending good wishes your way!

Gail

Gail- thanks for the idea! can i ask if you were using a flavored Protein Powder? I guess whatever you have to mix it with to get it in. i know that the Protein is important. So, on the Soup , about 1/2 cup to 1 cup? just curious if we are all eating about the same amount. can you imagine us eating that amount ??crazy...

sue - yes I am hungry! Although it's been a week since I had any 'real' chewable food. I've just been having fluids and soup/broth - but quite watery. Do you have some restriction already, I don't think I do yet!

annie

I have a LOT of Asian noodle Soups in the pantry. I'm about 1/2 a second away from making them and eating the liquid. I'm so sick of cream of broccoli, potato and broths, lol.

Edit to add - the only reason I'm hesitating is because I'm not 100% I have the willpower not to each SOME of the noodles!!