Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi All, My husband and I both are getting banded this month. He is scheduled for the 15th and I am scheduled for the 27th. This is an incredible forum that everyone provides so much support and information.

As far as the pre-op diet the practice we are using has 3 docs and one of their wives (also a doc) has started her own side business of dietary products, shakes, Protein Bars, Soups etc. So of course they are totally pushing do all of your pre/post op diet through us. We will make it so easy for you by selling you everything you need. They only problem is it is quite pricey.

So far we have been doing a high Protein diet for a couple of weeks, cut out starches, sugars, caffeine, carbonation and we have found it to be so much better than the liquid stuff. We are losing weight and hubby already went for pre-op and his protein levels were great.

He had filters placed yesterday and all of the hospital staff kept asking us (in veiled ways), how do you guys qualify? You don't look like you need it. I told them I just hide it well. We are/were both 100 pounds overweight, and of course he has already lost close to 30#, me not so much.

Good luck to everyone and thank you all so much again for the support and information that you all share.

:welcome:and Congratulations to the both of you. What incredible support you will be to each other. My husband is close to 400lbs and I am hoping that I will be the motivation he needs to get banded. He says, "I'll let you be the guinea pig first." :biggrin1:

I started my liquid fast, my surgery is March 16th I only hope I will also do well with the lap-band. My surgeon has been trying to get me to do the gastric bypass but I don't want to , I am having the lap-band but he thinks I will lose more with the other. Anyway, I hope I will to well.

:welcomeB: mnkbrly!!!!!!!!!!

Its bath nirvana. Sort of like Ben and Jerry's is Ice Cream Nirvana (especially on a waffle cone) or a really good pulled pork sandwhich is perfect BBQ, etc. So I guess after the band instead of being food nirvana like my tub is tub nirvana, they will just be food like a standard tub is a standard tub? And a standard tub is hardly worth it...

EXACTLY! but, you won't crave the old tub either. wierd huh...It is very different.

All of the hospital staff kept asking us (in veiled ways), how do you guys qualify? You don't look like you need it. I told them I just hide it well. We are/were both 100 pounds overweight, and of course he has already lost close to 30#, me not so much.

It really just pisses me off when people say things like that! YOur don't look like you are THAT overweight. It is just their uneasy feeling that they don't know whatelse to say.

Honey if you are 100# overweight you absolutely look like it and need to lose weight! Don't let anybody kid you! Your health is at risk and if you have not been able to lose the weight any other way be greateful the band may be an option for you.

When people say things like that I want you to remember who they are and when you lose the weight, I get you money that they say OH MY GOSH LOOK AT HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU HAVE LOST, YOU LOOK SO GOOD. Then you can reassure yourself that I was right.

Let the person who is telling you this carry around your extra 100# and see what it does to their energy level or their health et.c

I am not ranting, I am just appauld by ppl's ignorance, that is specifically why I have told NOBODY and if they knew I went for surgery it was for hernia repair (lie).

Go look at my myspace and tell me I don't need to lose weight! I should have done this 10 years ago!! or 20 years ago!!

I started my liquid fast, my surgery is March 16th I only hope I will also do well with the lap-band. My surgeon has been trying to get me to do the gastric bypass but I don't want to , I am having the lap-band but he thinks I will lose more with the other. Anyway, I hope I will to well.

You most likely would lose more weight in the beginning, but after 2-5 years band patients have the same amount of weight loss as bypass patients. It has been proven by their studies.

You need to do what you feel most comfortable with, not what he thinks you will do it faster with.

My mom is having bypass next month, and it scares me to death for her. Mainly because she is not a compliant patient and I'm afraid that she will hurt herself by not following the rules. But her insurance won't pay for banding, but will for bypass, go figure.

Best of luck in whichever you decide to do, but remember that it is your body and your choice, no one elses!

I had my one week post op yesterday. Not much to it, they just wanted to make sure I was doing ok. But since I was starting on full liquids yesterday I had a huge list of stuff from one of the liquid recipie threads that I wanted to make sure was ok to start having. Sadly the nurse shot down 90% of my list giving me whatever reasons that I couldn't have most of it. BUT, one good thing is...if it's Soup and it doesn't have meat, I can puree it and have it! YAY!! Last night I had some progresso potato broccoli cheese soup that I had pureed and mmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMM

mmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm. I was told by co workers it looked like baby food..haha. It was so yummy that I didn't care what it looked like. :) OH! Let me also tell you, I had heard on here about this stuff called Muscle Milk, so I got some chocolate kind the other day and OMG I could live off this stuff for the rest of my life it was so good. Better than real chocolate milk def and 32g of protein...well if you can drink it all. I can drink about 1/3 at a time. It comes in a powder form too, but I bought the liquid. The next day I called GNC and they had it buy one get one half price so I went and bought a bunch of it. :mad:

Besides the new full liquids diet everything is still good. I still want some freaking KFC, but I will wait. Noone is stopping me once I'm on solids again though! :) Oh, I feel like I have bruises in a few weird places, on my hips and on my lower legs, but there are no spots. Hips might be from sleeping on my side, because normally I start on my side and end up sleeping on my belly, but NONE of that right now, so when I wake up they are a little sore. Worked again last night after having two nights off and sitting in the chair for 12 hours wasn't bad at all this time. :Banane59:

Only 39 more hours till my surgery and I will be an official March Bandster:clap2:

:welcomeB: nurseamy!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, I'd like to say GOOD LUCK nurseamy, hope everything goes smoothly for you. :clap2:

Ladies, I need some support. My pre-op diet is supposed to start on Wednesday. So I figured since I have been having the "last meal" syndrome for the past couple of weeks I would start early. Three times I have attempted and by the end of the night I am bingeing like I will never eat again and frankly I wasn't even starving. It was more the fact I know I won't be able to eat for quite a while and I think that's where this is coming from. I only have a pre-op for 7 days and I can't imagine you ladies that have to go for 2 weeks. Jello, clear broth and cream of wheat is just not cutting it for me and then the post-op diet....yikes, will I be able to do this????? I have to say, I am really stressing. My Dr. never said anything about Protein Shakes? Does that sound weird to anyone?

First off, I'd like to say GOOD LUCK nurseamy, hope everything goes smoothly for you. :clap2:

Ladies, I need some support. My pre-op diet is supposed to start on Wednesday. So I figured since I have been having the "last meal" syndrome for the past couple of weeks I would start early. Three times I have attempted and by the end of the night I am bingeing like I will never eat again and frankly I wasn't even starving. It was more the fact I know I won't be able to eat for quite a while and I think that's where this is coming from. I only have a pre-op for 7 days and I can't imagine you ladies that have to go for 2 weeks. Jello, clear broth and cream of wheat is just not cutting it for me and then the post-op diet....yikes, will I be able to do this????? I have to say, I am really stressing. My Dr. never said anything about Protein shakes? Does that sound weird to anyone?

Call your dr's nurse and discuss your concerns, you may have not understood something.

hello I was banded on march 1 2007. I live in ny on long island i am 45 yrs old. happy with my surgery all was fine. didnt even take meds when I got home, the gas was not bad either. love this site could not live without it, started with lapband before surgery, after and now what are fills like. told all the other people at dr. office about this site. glad to join the march band club.

Still working on the kitchen (up till 5:30am this morning putting in tile) and just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. Can not believe that I only have 10 days left. March 20 is just around the corner.

Congrats to everyone who has been banded and best wishes to those of us who will be. Hope everyone has a speedy recovery.

Hey there all... HOLY CRAP! I just remembered I have to go to work in a few hours to RESET the dam time clocks!!!!!! (software glitch in the daylight saving patch)P