Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best and worst "compliments"

Best: People noticed a difference in me, said I looked good!

Worst: my sister told me she lost weight the right way diet Nd exercise, that really hurt my feelings.

I HATE the misconception that wLS dont diet and exercise!! Ummm hello, I average 3-4miles a day, everyday! And im eating vish, chicken and veggies while others eat pizza!! SmH...let me at her!! I bet in 1000% stronger than her, I can beat her up if yoy want!! Smiley face!

I haven't received a compliment that was unpleasant. I guess I'm a fortunate one on that. But they arrange from Wow! you look really great. Girl, what happened to the rest of you? to Heeeyyyyy sexy!!!!! I love that one best. :D

I saw my BFFs DH today. I haven't seen him in a year. After saying hello he started digging in his pockets. All of them: pants, shirt, jacket. I asked him what he was looking for? He said, "five bucks so you can get a cheeseburger or something!" It was really funny. I know it's a compliment coming from him. It was all the theatrics. So funny.

I've been called scrawny. Asked if I'm healthy (implying I'm sick). Told I look like I'm wasting away. Just people being insensitive. I really don't allow myself to focus on it. No stinkin thinkin. They have their demons. Unhappy, I suppose.

I also hear: "OMG you look so hot! You rock those pants! Hey, skinny. You look sooooo good. I bet you feel great!" I know what I'm listening to!

I HATE the misconception that wLS dont diet and exercise!! Ummm hello, I average 3-4miles a day, everyday! And im eating vish, chicken and veggies while others eat pizza!! SmH...let me at her!! I bet in 1000% stronger than her, I can beat her up if yoy want!! Smiley face!

so glad I have you guys here you have helped me a lot with sharing your experiences. Thanks

At first I was getting a crap load of compliments on my hair. "Your hair looks great!"

Umm. Thanks, but I don't think it's my hair, I think it's the missing 30 lbs. lol.

At first I was getting a crap load of compliments on my hair. "Your hair looks great!"

Umm. Thanks, but I don't think it's my hair, I think it's the missing 30 lbs. lol.

I've been getting that -- random incorrect observations. The nurses at my surgeon's office asked if ingot new glasses probably 15 pounds ago. (Nope, same ones I wear to every appointment.). Then, on Friday, we went to a {delayed} holiday party after which my husband's boss went on and on about how good I looked. He asked my husband if I'd done anything different to my hair and named a few other things, then decided I must look so different because I'm not pregnant. (I've had three full-term pregnancies in less than five years.) Only one other friend that I rarely see hinted that I'm looking a little "thinnish." I just brushed it off, and she dropped the conversation. I've lost 44 pounds now and I'm down a few sizes, but people just can't put their finger on what's different. That's okay by me! The longer people aren't certain about what I've done, the longer they'll go without voicing their opinions about my health choices, food intake, etc.

I posted here early on and I've followed this thread. Lately I've been thinking that the best and worst "compliments" I receive are the ones that come from me. Especially the worst one's since, truly, no one can hurt me or be more cruel to me than me. Mostly, I just chalk what others say up to ignorance, stupidity ir just plain meanness. It's the stuff I tell myself that hardest to get past. Sooo... I'm gonna work on being nicer to myself.

I have to say that it's my opinion that you are totally overreacting on this one. I HIGHLY doubt anyone is stupid enough to think you are RESPONSIBLE for their weight gain. (Well, my husband might blame me a bit because after my three bite, I put my leftovers on his plate. HA!)

I think this is a way of complimenting YOU while putting themselves down. I can't imagine they think your fat particles are flying through the air and landing on them.

I agree. I have said that before and I know it was just my own insecurity.

Oh i do love this thread!!

Best would maybe be this weekend. Saw an aunt/uncle of mine I haven't seen in a year. Ran up to them, threw my arms around them to hug me and they both stared. My aunt looks at my uncle and says "who's that".. haha.. Once I reminded them I'm their NEICE, she repeated over and over "OMG I didn't recoginze you, you look so beatiful".

Worst thing I got was "wow, you look sick. Your face is all pale. You look like a cancer patient" (let me tell you, I was LIVID!!!!!!!!).

Another bad one was when I took the kids to meet their dad for the weekend and he tells me "Hey i'm selling weight loss Protein Shakes, did you want some".. :huh: umm.. hey jack@ss..i've lost 80 lbs..I dont need to buy your product!

of course I love all the "hey skinny mini " and "hey skinny B!t..." or "hey sexy mama". I actually was called a milf the other day...(giggle). ME? What? aww shucks..

Haha. Love the milf. My kids tell me thier friends think im hot. Lol. Really? Wait till I lose this extra 80. Lol

Worst:

'Wow you lost your boobs! Like....I didn't realise when we were younger that you had no boobs'

'You're 27?...wow I thought you were sooo much younger' at a work function after rolling their eyes about my life and work experiences and rudely asking my age... (Normally I like the comments on my regained youth lol)

I might have gotten the best one ever yesterday. A friend who knew me as very obese saw me just over a year ago when I weighed about 20-25# more than I do now. also, body and face were still readjusting... Anyway, saw her yesterday and she said "you look like you are about 25". I am actually 49 so even if she was exageratting a tad, it still felt GREAT!

I have started to cut my hair shorter and have grown a beard. So when people say. " there is something different about you"

I go "yeah the beard is new."

Never mind the 67 pounds ( so far)

Grrrrr. Today, "you're so skinny! I bet you feel great!!! But don't lose any more weight. We don't want you to disappear (patronizing tone)." She was trying to shame me in a group of people.

Me: so I feel confused. Are you giving me a compliment?

Then my friend jumped in and rescued the woman I was about to skewer.

Worst: your so thin, you look like you need a burger Even worst: (publicly) I hope you're seeing a Dr. best: you look great, you've lost so much weight, I'm happy for you Even best: you look so wonderful, whatever you're doing I need to as well

My son made me feel so special when he texted me a pic of our family from Thanksgiving four yrs ago and complimented how much "work" I've done on improving my health. Made me cry in the car.....now I feel better about paying his massive tuition bill....lol

Edited by VSG148Sz6