Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best and worst "compliments"

No one is doing it for me, when I have a miniscule portion of my favourite dinner, lasagne, in front of me and I have to put my fork down and finish my meal after 5-6 small bites.

No one is doing it for me as I count, measure, evaluate, and have my 'mood' being intrinsically linked to the success or 'failures' of any one given day.

No one is doing it for me as I go through the circuitous process that is my internal dialogue saying 'Yeah, you're losing you look better'.. 'Ooh, check out your hanging skin'... 'I'm glad I had this done..' 'I wish I'd never had it done, I feel like I failed'.

I hear ya, LL x

My best complement so far was from a gal I have known all my life. She hadn't seen me in6 months or so and then we were at a meeting together. She leaned over and asked me who I was, when I introduced myself she was very embarrassed and couldn't believe my transformation. I told her not to be embarrassed, it was one of the best compliments I have ever received :)

WAIT!! Hold the freaking bus!! People keep saying above that "so and so did it on their own"?!?! What the HAY!?!? Is someone else losing this weight FOR me?? I am losing it "on my own", too.

I was thinking the same thing!

New best comment (from goofy husband as I came home from Christmas errands): "My wife is going to be home soon, so whoever you are, get your skinny butt out before she catches you."

**Context, we both travel a lot for work and our running "inside joke" is that we have to clean out the evidence of the guy/girl we've had over. My teens think we're just goofy but it's our way of letting the other know that we don't take each other for granted.

Anyway, I've gone from a 26 to a 12 (jeans) so far and my husband pretending he didn't recognize me was sort of cool.

New best comment (from goofy husband as I came home from Christmas errands): "My wife is going to be home soon, so whoever you are, get your skinny butt out before she catches you." **Context, we both travel a lot for work and our running "inside joke" is that we have to clean out the evidence of the guy/girl we've had over. My teens think we're just goofy but it's our way of letting the other know that we don't take each other for granted. Anyway, I've gone from a 26 to a 12 (jeans) so far and my husband pretending he didn't recognize me was sort of cool.

This was so cute and funny! Cracked us up.

My good compliment lately is also from my husband. He says that when we go to the stores together now, he has to remember what color shirt I am wearing because otherwise he doesn't immediately recognize me. How cool is that?

Love all the great stories here. I got a good compliment yesterday when my 12 year sons friend's dad came to pick him up he said "Oh I thought you were Tom's sister not mother". He may have been laying it on a bit but still made me smile.

My son, who hasn't seen me since July, informed me that I look like an entirely different person! I sure feel that way so it's great to have my "outside" reflect my "inside"!!

I am surprised that family who know about my surgery DO NOT comment on my weightloss. I dont really have family, I have my husbands family. My father in law has never said a word. My mother in law nothing, my grandmother in law asked "how much more weight have you lost?" I told her 80 pounds total. She said "oh"..thats it, thats all I get. My husband is sick of hearing about it, but no one will talk to me about it. And if I have to exercise everyday and eat to live. I should atleast get to brag a little right?? Am I being selfish expecting to much?

I am surprised that family who know about my surgery DO NOT comment on my weightloss. I dont really have family, I have my husbands family. My father in law has never said a word. My mother in law nothing, my grandmother in law asked "how much more weight have you lost?" I told her 80 pounds total. She said "oh"..thats it, thats all I get. My husband is sick of hearing about it, but no one will talk to me about it. And if I have to exercise everyday and eat to live. I should atleast get to brag a little right?? Am I being selfish expecting to much?

Not selfish at all. Maybe that's what WE are for then? I know that one friend started to get...not so much jealous, but my success began being a mental and emotion hardship for her because she has really been trying to lose and just is struggling. My hubby had the sleeve a year ago, so our families know and I haven't been closed about it to anyone so I have more people who are genuinely interested, some supportive some not as much.

Did you not tell any friends at all? Maybe it's time, or maybe a local support group (if there is one, there are none in my area)?

Well that's just heartbreaking. You NEED some support! I'm with crowsnest - let someone know or find a local support group. And Hun, wanting to brag about your hard work is not selfish in the least.

Not selfish at all. Maybe that's what WE are for then? I know that one friend started to get...not so much jealous, but my success began being a mental and emotion hardship for her because she has really been trying to lose and just is struggling. My hubby had the sleeve a year ago, so our families know and I haven't been closed about it to anyone so I have more people who are genuinely interested, some supportive some not as much.

Did you not tell any friends at all? Maybe it's time, or maybe a local support group (if there is one, there are none in my area)?

I do have a support group but its a good 45 mins away, my husband says he doesnt think I need it until/unless I struggle. He also says his mom will probably never say a word about my loss. Good thing after tomorrow I can focus back on running and eating chicken. The next time they see me ill be 150!!

I do have a support group but its a good 45 mins away, my husband says he doesnt think I need it until/unless I struggle. He also says his mom will probably never say a word about my loss. Good thing after tomorrow I can focus back on running and eating chicken. The next time they see me ill be 150!!

In a way, you are struggling.

I do think you have a great attitude to keep moving forward though!

Also, you got US for a cheering squad! You have done an amazing job! Keep rocking that sleeve!!

Don't blame you at all for feeling frustrated. I think many people are made uncomfortable when one takes charge of their lives and embraces a dynamic change for the better, which is what you have done. So you know the truth, you know how hard you are working and the sacrifices that having WLS requires but most likely your in-laws don't. I'm sure your weight loss id clearly evident but for some reason they can't or won't compliment you on your accomplishment. That sucks! It would seriously piss me off. But I think your wanting some kudos is totally normal and well deserved! Post some before and after pics here on the forum and I'm sure many will respond and give you the compliments you deserve.

This is my first time posting from my actual laptop, I am a cellphone junkie so I always have my face in my phone taking selfies for anyday or reason. LOL, anyway I like the idea of getting some responses from photos here. I don't know if anyone else suffers from this, but I still feel huge. I look at the pictures of everyone on here and always say WOW, I cant believe how much they have changed!! But when I see my own photos, I don't really see it?? Is anyone else like this? Funny thing is, I was thin most of my life at about 24 I put on weight with each baby. Next thing I know I am 37 living in a large body. But I always acted like a 25 year old hottie. Now I am totally obsessed. And even though I have had a very relaxed 2 weeks, I can not wait to get back into my exercise pants and go for it!! Funny how we didn't really obsess about our weight or what we ate before. Now everytime I get dressed in real clothes its a huge struggle because I haven't really had the opportunity to go clothes shopping really yet. I went from a comphy 24-26 3Xl, to a current comphy 12 (but I can squeeze into a 10) to a large top, although I am wearing a medium in one of the pictures I am posting. Its my daughters!!! Wish me luck attaching pictures for the first time!

Don't blame you at all for feeling frustrated. I think many people are made uncomfortable when one takes charge of their lives and embraces a dynamic change for the better, which is what you have done. So you know the truth, you know how hard you are working and the sacrifices that having WLS requires but most likely your in-laws don't. I'm sure your weight loss id clearly evident but for some reason they can't or won't compliment you on your accomplishment. That sucks! It would seriously piss me off. But I think your wanting some kudos is totally normal and well deserved! Post some before and after pics here on the forum and I'm sure many will respond and give you the compliments you deserve.

The pink shirt is a medium!!

post-179235-0-76708900-1388020685_thumb.jpg

post-179235-0-99779500-1388020669_thumb.jpg

post-179235-0-48875500-1388020643_thumb.jpg

post-179235-0-04427700-1388020632_thumb.jpg