Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best and worst "compliments"

Lol I never know how to take the 'don't lose too much more' comments...

The worst now that I've thought about it is when people feel the need to constantly talk about their own weight now!! Like my sister and some friends of mine that are overweight feel the need to mention how big, awful, 'beastly' (sis' fav comment :-/) and fat they are when discussing...I honestly don't look at them that way and i get so uncomfortable because all I can say is that they look fine and just need to love themselves for who they are!!

Before I lost weight I was a good 30kg heavier than they are now and didn't let it stop me from going out and living life, sure I felt restricted some times, limited and criticized however I didn't bring the people I loves into that, it was my own internal issue...now it's like they feel the need to constantly compare it really is awful sometimes :-/

Yesterday: "you are an inspiration for me!" Awe :)

I'm only a week out but I lost about 45lbs in 4 months (paleo diet) before my surgery. The worst one I've gotten that always seems to rub me the wrong way is "you dress so well for your size". Thank you for the back handed compliment. I know it must be hard in regular sized person world to fathom that a plus size person isn't running around in a tent.

Maybe not the best or worst.... But the most weird was my surgeon asked me to lose weight before surgery. He said he wanted me to have a FLAT BELLY....

OR CONCAVE WOULD BE EVEN BETTER.

I have not been a flat belly in about 50 years. I thought to my self....." this MOFO IS CRAZY"

I lost 40 lbs Pre- op. not a fat belly. ( or even concave LOL)

3 1/2 months post op...... Almost flat.

I'm crying tears of joy!

Maybe not the best or worst.... But the most weird was my surgeon asked me to lose weight before surgery. He said he wanted me to have a FLAT BELLY.... OR CONCAVE WOULD BE EVEN BETTER. I have not been a flat belly in about 50 years. I thought to my self....." this MOFO IS CRAZY" I lost 40 lbs Pre- op. not a fat belly. ( or even concave LOL) 3 1/2 months post op...... Almost flat. I'm crying tears of joy!

HAHAHAHA!

Removed duplicate post

Edited by jatherley

I'm never sure what to say when I get a compliment as all of them make me uncomfortable. But the most awkward was from my male supervisor. I know he didn't mean to make me feel uncomfortable and his intent was to make me feel good but I was taken off guard.

One morning I was coming around a blind corner to the coffee bar at the office and he was coming around these sane corner the opposite way. We made small talk and said good morning and went on our way. Later in the day he told me "this morning when I first saw you I was like wow your weightloss is so noticeable in your facial features" it was awkward but I said thanks.

Then a couple hours later while I was headed back to my desk with my little lunch while he was headed out. He said "wow, really don't wither away on us" my comment was oh I have a good long way to go before I will wither away.

One of the best has been from a female co-worker who I've run into in the ladies room or in the hall and we say hi and good morning but don't really talk that much. She stopped me one day and said she just wanted to tell me that I was looking great. Just that simple compliment made my day.

I am15 months out, and now the best compliments to me are the people who have approached me to tell me how impressed they are with my progress and to ask me questions about the sleeve, because they are considering getting it done themselves. I'm so glad that I was always open about having had it done, that people see me as a success story and that they can be successful too.

Not a best or worst.... , but most absurd.

I did not tell my mother I had WLS. I just do not need her push back.

When I had lost 27 pounds ...... She looked at me, and told me I had gained weight.

When the weight loss was obvious ( even to her) I said I had a thyroid condition ( which I did) that caused weight loss.

I had the thyroid tumor removed.

Now every time I see her she asks. " have you gained your weight back"?

" you deserve to gain that weight"?

I answer the weight loss is a gift I do not want to give back.

This is not weird, just bizarre.

Yesterday, one of my clients told me how "wonderful" I look. She then went on to tell me that she has always been underweight and that her doctor told her that she had to put on pounds (and she is and she did). In turn, I told her she looks wonderful (and she does).

She then started asking me what clothing size I am now (WTF!?!?), what clothing size I was before (WTF-er!?!?!) and what size I would like to be. She accurately guessed that I am a 10 and that I was close to 8s before I could even form a sentence. She asked me what my goal size was or if I was finished losing. I did tell her that I would love to be a 6. She then GRABBED MY WRIST, PULLED UP MY SLEEVE and told me I would look sickly at a size 6. My bones are obviously far too big to ever be a six and I would not look good at all.

She's lucky she's in her late 60s. I don't let ANYONE, including Mr. LSL, grab me without a bit of pain in return. I know she meant well, and it was all a compliment, but it was BIZARRE.

This is not weird, just bizarre.

Yesterday, one of my clients told me how "wonderful" I look. She then went on to tell me that she has always been underweight and that her doctor told her that she had to put on pounds (and she is and she did). In turn, I told her she looks wonderful (and she does).

She then started asking me what clothing size I am now (WTF!?!?), what clothing size I was before (WTF-er!?!?!) and what size I would like to be. She accurately guessed that I am a 10 and that I was close to 8s before I could even form a sentence. She asked me what my goal size was or if I was finished losing. I did tell her that I would love to be a 6. She then GRABBED MY WRIST, PULLED UP MY SLEEVE and told me I would look sickly at a size 6. My bones are obviously far too big to ever be a six and I would not look good at all.

She's lucky she's in her late 60s. I don't let ANYONE, including Mr. LSL, grab me without a bit of pain in return. I know she meant well, and it was all a compliment, but it was BIZARRE.

I think this is along the same lines as when people think they have a right to touch a pregnant woman's belly...

Id've snatched my wrist back pronto....

On several occasions now I have not been recognized by people I have known for years. It is inspiring and unsettling at the same time. I am still me just almost 1/3 less of me. The hey skinny comments are fun but I a far from skinny! I am 5-10 248lbs with a BMI over 30. I love my sleeve and would not undo it if I could but I never expected the attention my weight loss would draw.

Just had a great one at airport security. In a very confidential way (and after checking there was no one around), the TSA agent (female) asked if I didn't mind telling her how much weight I had lost because I looked SO fantastic! Somehow, I really didn't mind telling her because she was so ernest and kind about it.

Lol I never know how to take the 'don't lose too much more' comments... The worst now that I've thought about it is when people feel the need to constantly talk about their own weight now!! Like my sister and some friends of mine that are overweight feel the need to mention how big, awful, 'beastly' (sis' fav comment :-/) and fat they are when discussing...I honestly don't look at them that way and i get so uncomfortable because all I can say is that they look fine and just need to love themselves for who they are!! Before I lost weight I was a good 30kg heavier than they are now and didn't let it stop me from going out and living life, sure I felt restricted some times, limited and criticized however I didn't bring the people I loves into that, it was my own internal issue...now it's like they feel the need to constantly compare it really is awful sometimes :-/

I so know what you mean, really. I have a few friends that every time that they see a picture of me online (I live in another country than all my family and friends) they feel the need to bring their own weight into the discussion. And all of them..are skinny arses. Like..maybe 5-10 kg overweight, due to just having a baby, or something else.. Its soooo annoying. Yes, that's exactly the same, me being obese at 130 kg almost all my life...and you carrying a bit if baby weight..yeah, just the same! I even heard comments like : awww, you're losing more weight every day and I get fatter and fatter. I feel insulted, especially when all of them are thin and always have been.

And you're right, I was just the same, yes , at times I felt uncomfortable with myself but I did enjoy life no matter my size and I never brought them into my (real not like theirs) weight problem. I swear, most of them are attention seekers, waiting for you to just tell them how lovely they are. I never did that and I don't understand why they feel the need to do that :(

The best is when people use words I've never had describe me before in my life "look at you your getting tiny!" "Hey skinny mini " and the not so nice ones are " your face is getting pretty" so was it ugly before? And " you look better now, you actually look nice" what the hell does that mean?! I still don't know how to react to compliments sometimes even 9 months out lol

omg I got all those things said to me