Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best and worst "compliments"

So today is my first day back to work (13 days post op). I finally get to participate in this thread :) Here is what I have heard so far. I am not sure what category they fit into. None of them offended me. I just kinda laugh at the funny things people say.

1. A good friend of mine at work saw me today for the first time since August 1 (she was on maternity leave when I started my journey). So called me over so she could take a good look at me. Made me turn around and looked me up and down. Then this came out of her mouth. What size pants are those? I told her 16s. Not gonna lie. I just bought them last night so I had something to wear to work that fit. I said, "Why?" and she replied, "Because they are too big on you!" she told me they were too baggy and loose. Like I said I am not sure what to make of that. She was not mean about it. Quite sweet and all. I think she was trying to tell me that I have lost more weight than I think. I am down 41 pounds since she has last seen me.

2. Another co-work said, "you look good. It looks like you have had a facelift" Again not sure how to take that one either. But okay.

3. My other two closest friend at work were super nice and just said wow you look great you can really tell a difference.

These pretty much are the only people at work who know, but if others ask I will tell.

Thanks for reading. I have enjoyed following this thread while I have been home recovering.

Bonnie

I was in a store with my 12 year old son this weekend and I tried on a size medium hoodie and it fit. He could tell how excited I was and came over and gave me a big hug and said "I'm so happy for you!" It was the best feeling celebrating losing 77 pounds with my son.

We live in an apartment, when we moved back to FL from Chicago, we hadn't sold our home yet, and now we are finally looking for a house. I went into the leasing office, the first time in about 8 months (since before surgery) to let them know about an issue on our building, and the leasing manager stopped the new maintenance guy, and told him that I had lost an entire person. She explained to him that I was HUGE (her exact word) and that she didn't recognize me when I came into the office. She actually asked me for my unit #, and when she thought I was making a payment, or an inquiry about my account she was going to ask for ID, I have lived here almost 2 years, and attend the holiday parties, and swim in the pool, and use the health club regularly. We have been on a first name basis since I moved in. I don't know what to think about what she said. She too is very over weight. I told her about VGS, and how it has changed my life. She then went on to repeat my story to the maintenance guy. It was awkward to say the least. I know she is happy for me, and means well, but it was weird having her tell something so personal to a total stranger.

The compliment so far that has made me feel the worst: wow! You have a waistline now! You look so cute with an actual figure, you're not just a big blob anymore!

I still have a long way to go and don't really see my waistline or figure anyway, but being called a (former) "big blob" made me feel horrible, even though I know it's true.

Best- you look great. You inspire me to take better care of myself. One that pissed me off the most. Guy at work lost 140 without surgery. Coworker said he did it the hard way and all i did was close my eyes and wake up with a smaller stomach and shed the weight. All i responded was yep i took the easy way out. Best i didn't say what was really on my mind.

My wife who had the sleeve last year and lost 130lbs now finds herself being included in the fat gossip with the skinny office staff about other over weight employees. I guess it's a compliment because they are including her but god knows what they saying about her a year ago. She tells me she is flattered but shocked at the comments they make.

The compliment so far that has made me feel the worst: wow! You have a waistline now! You look so cute with an actual figure, you're not just a big blob anymore!

I still have a long way to go and don't really see my waistline or figure anyway, but being called a (former) "big blob" made me feel horrible, even though I know it's true.

I would have turned that person's face into a big blob. That's horrible! Fooker.

My wife who had the sleeve last year and lost 130lbs now finds herself being included in the fat gossip with the skinny office staff about other over weight employees. I guess it's a compliment because they are including her but god knows what they saying about her a year ago. She tells me she is flattered but shocked at the comments they make.

Why in the world would she associate with that? I will forever feel fat no matter how small my body is and I can't imagine being around a group the belittles overweight people.

I'd feel guilty by association.

Why in the world would she associate with that? I will forever feel fat no matter how small my body is and I can't imagine being around a group the belittles overweight people. I'd feel guilty by association.

It's not a choice she made. She was disgusted and has address it with them. Don't get me wrong I was in no way condoning what they do just citing an ironic situation. It made us both sick. Pathetic!

It's not a choice she made. She was disgusted and has address it with them. Don't get me wrong I was in no way condoning what they do just citing an ironic situation. It made us both sick. Pathetic!

Just gotta figure that's how they keep themselves satisfied with their sad lives, by talking trash about other people. Good for your wife for standing up for her former (yet same) self.

I'm glad to hear she stood up against it.

Got a new one this week, " you lost your boobies! You don't have then anymore!". Ok, I'm a 36 C/D. Yeah, it's smaller than when I was a 44 C but really?

Good for you! Putting it back on her. I'm gonna try that next time. It's like why give someone coon courtesy when they're being rude?

Got a new one this week' date=' " you lost your boobies! You don't have then anymore!". Ok, I'm a 36 C/D. Yeah, it's smaller than when I was a 44 C but really?[/quote']

Omg! The things people say!