Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

six month waiting period driving me crazy!

My insurance is making me wait six months before I can get the surgery, and I am going crazy with excitement. It's only been a month so far...I think I'm becoming obsessed with the thought of having this surgery. I constantly read about it online, I can't help but tell the people I know that I'm in the process of getting the surgery, and I can't stop looking at before and after pics of people who had the surgery. I just need to calm down but idk how, and I know my family is getting tired of me talking about. Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same way?

Keep the faith it will pass. I finished mine in August. I'm counting down 15 more days.

I am with all of you. April 17, 2013 was my first appointment with the Bariatric Center. At that time I had blood tests, took the psych evaluation test and met with a dietician and therapist. My next appointment was May 5, 2013, at that time the clock started ticking because I had me EKG and met with the nurse practitioner. I am also going absolutely crazy. I just can't wait.

My next appointment isn't until November 5 with the nurse practitioner and dietician. I met with the surgeon three weeks ago and he said no surgery scheduled until after the November 5 appointment.

Being pushy is not my style but I want a surgery date. How far out do you get that date. I need that to settle myself down!!!!

Wow sassyTink you are so close and probably extremely anxious.

I scheduled my first pcp appt as soon as I got the phone call saying that my insurance covers the surgery, so far I've only done the monthly pcp check in, the psych evaluation, and met with the nurse and dietitian. I still have plenty to do like the EKG, pulmonary function test ect...but even those appt dates can't come quick enough.

I felt it was for the best. Granted, my insurance required I see the dietician once a month for the 6 months. In all honestly, this HELPED! I had 6 months to prepare for my new life. She gave me a goal each month to help me get used to the new way of eating. First month was to cut out sodas, OH GOD!! In all honestly, I don't think I would've been as successful had I not been required to wait the 6 months.

or have you already done everything else required by the clinic for the surgery?

Wow sassyTink you are so close and probably extremely anxious.

I scheduled my first pcp appt as soon as I got the phone call saying that my insurance covers the surgery' date=' so far I've only done the monthly pcp check in, the psych evaluation, and met with the nurse and dietitian. I still have plenty to do like the EKG, pulmonary function test ect...but even those appt dates can't come quick enough.[/quote']

I understand those were my last clearances also.

No I have

I felt it was for the best. Granted, my insurance required I see the dietician once a month for the 6 months. In all honestly, this HELPED! I had 6 months to prepare for my new life. She gave me a goal each month to help me get used to the new way of eating. First month was to cut out sodas, OH GOD!! In all honestly, I don't think I would've been as successful had I not been required to wait the 6 months.

or have you already done everything else required by the clinic for the surgery?

No I have not done everything yet. My second monthly pcp visit, EKG, sleep study, and nicotine test is on 9/20/13( that's gonna be a very busy day :). My pcp will have to send me out for the pulmonary function test, so that will most likely be sometime in October. After all of that the next thing I will have to do is meet with the surgeon, the nurse said that appt will be sometime in December.

Keep the faith it will pass. I finished mine in August. I'm counting down 15 more days.

Did you start your liquid diet yet?

Did you start your liquid diet yet?

I start tomorrow! Yikes!

Ikr, I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait to get to that point.

Be patient.. It's going to come faster than you thought. I started jan 2013 and was sleeved jul 2013. Can't believe it will be two months next week.

I had the same thing. The excitement died down a couple months in and I didn't feel quite as obsessive and before I knew it I was going to my final appt and than paperwork was being submitted and now I'm 10 days post op. The excitement ramped up again once my paperwork was being submitted.

Jashantee.....I've done the same thing. I've watched the surgery 3 times online and looked at hundreds of before and after pics. The Pre-Op diet is what I see as the biggest struggle. I hope I am strong and disciplined enough. I need this for me. Curiosity is a good thing! Educating ourselves I think is great. We need to be mentally prepped. :-)

My insurance is making me wait six months before I can get the surgery' date=' and I am going crazy with excitement. It's only been a month so far...I think I'm becoming obsessed with the thought of having this surgery. I constantly read about it online, I can't help but tell the people I know that I'm in the process of getting the surgery, and I can't stop looking at before and after pics of people who had the surgery. I just need to calm down but idk how, and I know my family is getting tired of me talking about. Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same way?[/quote']

I was soooo angsty, obsessive and annoyed about that stupid 6 month waiting period. Drove my family crazy! I won't say it flew by, and I'm not gonna say it gave me time to prepare because despite the obsessive research and weekly therapy I really wasn't prepared mentally or physically. My suggestion is to refocus your energy. This is your transformation and you have to spend some time in your cacoon. Pay attention to the character traits, especially impatience, habits and core beliefs which reinforce your lack of self care. Observe you, note your mental pitfalls and cultivate strategies to fight them. Write it all down. One day after surgery you will suddenly realize you can't eat discomfort, fear, pain or sadness away anymore. Panic sets in. You need to know you. You need to face you. Because there will come a time when you have to defend your self against your weaker self because pizza is not an option!