Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

six month waiting period driving me crazy!

Wow Ely that was deep, how I will cope without having the comfort of food has also been one of my worries. I just figured that I would be able to deal with it more easily because I have the surgery helping me out, helping me to control portion size (how we fool ourselves). Thanks you gave some great advice, and your right, it would be a good idea to start keeping a journal. I know its gonna take more than six months to make such a change, but its a start and its better than doing nothing at all. Lory your Pre-Op diet is coming up soon, you'll be strong enough to do it, just keep in mind that your doing it for a successful surgery, a surgery that you have waited for what probably seems like a lifetime for. Well at least that's what I'm gonna tell myself lol

Physically, yes, the surgery helps prevent emotional eating. But not forever and the shock of not having any crutches is profound. No cheez-its, no coffee, no wine, no chocolate. Nothing to sedate, numb, self punish. You have to sit with all the emotions of withdrawal and wait. If you don't address the things that you hide from with food now you will have to face them while also recovering from surgery. I wish I had more fully understood this.

I felt it was for the best. Granted' date=' my insurance required I see the dietician once a month for the 6 months. In all honestly, this HELPED! I had 6 months to prepare for my new life. She gave me a goal each month to help me get used to the new way of eating. First month was to cut out sodas, OH GOD!! In all honestly, I don't think I would've been as successful had I not been required to wait the 6 months.

or have you already done everything else required by the clinic for the surgery?[/quote']

I couldn't agree with you more. I am happy to have this waiting period to get acclimated to the new lifestyle. My husband and I are doing it slow. We are making one rule a week: "chew your food 20 times and slow down while eating", "take your lunch to work everyday", "no more carbonation (read: no coke, no beer - both of which I love...ugh), one of us had to quit smoking one week...

Some of the "rules" have been big, and some have been small. But I cannot imagine trying to tackle and break such (very engrained) habits in a few weeks. I would have felt overwhelmed.

Hi Detroit chic...am from Detroit moved to Missouri a few yrs ago..I love this furm it have really helped in this process

Has anyone had to start on a C-Pap machine during the 6 months wait. Month #1 I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea!! I love my C-Pap machine. The first night I slept 8.5 hours and did not wake up once. A plus is I am having the most colorful dreams every night. What a change from what I am used to.

If it weren't for this 6 months process, with all of it's test, I would have never known about this sleep issue. I have 100% more energy.

The anxiety involved with waiting is tough, but I have found out a lot about my body and mind. Giving up diet pepsi, lemonade, even Crystal Light (Aspartame allergic) has been challenging but I have done it. I guess I have really accomplished quite a few things.

Thanks for reminding me how productive these last 5 months have been. The wait continues.

Mo Girl I live in Missouri too, St.Louis, where do you live if you don't mind me asking? And Sassy I was diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea three years ago, I didn't require a C-Pap machine, my PCP just recommended weight loss. Last month I met with the nurse at the bariactric center and ordered me to do another sleep study on 9/20, because she think my sleep apnea may have gotten worse according to the questioner I filled out.

I'm in Mo to, I've meet with my PCP 4 times and th Nut and surgeon once, did my psych evaluation. still a lot of other stuff to do. I'm on here daily excited and nervous both.

My Aunt live in JC, my cousin went to college there she just moved back a couple years ago. I was thinking about moving there too its sooo laid back and quiet.

I'm in Mo to, I've meet with my PCP 4 times and th Nut and surgeon once, did my psych evaluation. still a lot of other stuff to do. I'm on here daily excited and nervous both.

Where in Mo do you live?

Springfield mo

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I am 3 months into my 6 month required wait. I agree it is aggravating. The thing I worry about the most is when I complete my last weigh in (December), if they will approve me! MY BMI is 40 with no comorbidities. Nervous!!!

Idk, but I've read a lot of post with people saying that your initial BMI is what maters, and I've also read post of people saying that their Dr. ordered them to NOT loose anymore weight or else they would not qualify. My BMI is 42 with a comorbidities (sleep apnea) and even I'm kinda afraid of loosing weight lol. I just don't want anything to get in the way of me having this. The good thing about your situation is even if your BMI did drop, November and December is the months when people usually gain weight so it won't be hard to gain it back if you wanted to lol

Trying to schedule my surgery the last two weeks of December so I can start off 2014 with a new attitude!!

Its your initial bmi that matters. Ask your surgeon.