Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointing Dr.s Appt.

Hi everyone I am in the stages of getting all my tests and paper work done for surgery in January. Today I went to my Primary Dr and he was not too pleased that I wanted to get the sleeve surgery done. He feels at all cost you should avoid surgery and there must be something going on with me because I am an emotional eater and just like to eat in general. He even asked if I had ever been to overeaters anonymous. However he did go ahead and fill out the necessary papers I needed but he feels if I cut out at least 350 calories a day for 365 days I would lose 30 lbs. that would be good but 30lbs is not enough I am 5'1" at 220lbs and I should weigh 130. But he did get me thinking how do I put my foot down and stop emotionally eating or just eating cause I am bored? I have already been scared I am going to fail at this but now he really has me thinking. I could really use some support and suggestions here :(

I seen my PCP and am 5'3 and 207, she said lose 10 pound you'll be fine, I was shocked and yet she coded my sheet with morbidly obese, really! I a tally did not involve her at on my decision, I called when I needed referrals and that was it. And i had high BP, and borderline high cholesterol. Do what you feel you need. I am 4 weeks today, and best decision I ever made. I am so happy

I have lost 43 pounds in 3 months. I couldn't have done that without the surgery. I have been trying for years and I am finally getting somewhere!

I think for the vast majority of people the sleeve helps us out tremendously in learning to avoid boredom eating and emotional eating. I've always been a boredom eater, but since I've been sleeved, I don't find eating particularly appealing. If I am bored I find something to do and eating doesn't even cross my mind. I do think it's a good idea to seek out counseling -- I'm a fan of behavioral therapy -- and find someone who can help you develop alternate strategies for dealing with stress, boredom, etc. But the sleeve is a big help just by itself!

The only thing you really can do is to sit down with your PCP, tell him exactly why you want to have this surgery. Let him know that you plan on doing it with or without his support and if he doesn't feel like he is the best fit for your decision, you will need to move on to a doctor who will.

It's your body, it's your life, it's your decision. Personally, I would rather have a team behind me who I don't feel guilty going to see, who, if I had a complication wouldn't "I told you so" me, and one I know I could call in a panic. You deserve that.

I cannot believe that in this day and age and technology, your doctor would not agree that obesity is a major problem. I think I would find a new doctor immediately. Becuase she's never gonna be supportive even after the procedure is done. Every ache and pain you have, she is going to blame on your surgery. Apparently, she doesn't understand that obesity is a disease just like alcohol and smoking.So sorry for your doctor's ignorance.

I'm sorry, but what a terrible PCP... my primary doctor was absolutely on board from day one...he thinks WLS should be made available to more people and that all insurance companies should pay for it..because in the end, they will pay much more over your lifetime. He gave me a high five for making a solid health choice. I've been going to him for years and he's seen my struggle with my weight, he's even tried to help me, but to no avail. Find a new doctor. You're going to need the support. My WLS doc told me, I'll need to depend heavily upon my PCP, so it's important to have one that understands and that is in your corner.

I am having my sleeve surgery on 9/13. Yes....less than 2 weeks away. I went to my pcp last Friday and told him I was going to Mexico for my surgery and he was very happy for me. He gave me orders for blood work to be done as soon as I get home and told me to let him know if I need anything.

You really need to find another pcp. They should be supportive of your decision.

Ok- How many of us have tried the "cut 300 calories per day and lose all this weight diet" Just another one of many tried done that before. If that worked we all would be thin. Oh please drs' out there many of us just can not continue to "diet" our way to healthy. The sleeve is very safe and is a tool we use to lose the excess and gain so much more. I live in a town where WLS is over 2 hours away. Not really marketed in our area. Good Luck and find a dr who will support you with the decision on surgery.

Hi everyone I am in the stages of getting all my tests and paper work done for surgery in January. Today I went to my Primary Dr and he was not too pleased that I wanted to get the sleeve surgery done. He feels at all cost you should avoid surgery and there must be something going on with me because I am an emotional eater and just like to eat in general. He even asked if I had ever been to overeaters anonymous. However he did go ahead and fill out the necessary papers I needed but he feels if I cut out at least 350 calories a day for 365 days I would lose 30 lbs. that would be good but 30lbs is not enough I am 5'1" at 220lbs and I should weigh 130. But he did get me thinking how do I put my foot down and stop emotionally eating or just eating cause I am bored? I have already been scared I am going to fail at this but now he really has me thinking. I could really use some support and suggestions here :(

I had several sessions with my therapist before surgery specifically to deal with my sress/emotional eating habits. I found it really helped me and I have rarely had issues with that now after surgery. I basically had to develop new ways of coping with my emotions other than eating. I use exercise, journaling, and my hobbies like DIY house projects, gardening, and reading now when I feel stress cravings coming on.

I've been in surgical wl programs before and always backed out. One reason was b/c I didn't want the roux-en-y and the other reason was b/c I lost a lot of weight pre-op that I thought, "I don't need this surgery. Look at all the weight that I lost. I can do it on my own."

I never worked. I'd gain all the weight back, plus more. And, now look at me.

My therapist has the same attitude as your doctor. She is not supportive. I'm seeing her next week. We'll talk, and I'll probably find a new therapist.

This surgery is a tool and a badly needed tool. Plus, it's a lot of work to learn how to change everything.

Hang in there. This is your body. Not theirs.