Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

I got sleeved on 8-21-13. After the pain and swelling went down, I was discharged and generally feel pretty good, but I'm on the last few days of the "full liquid" diet and have questions:

1) I've noticed that the rate at which I consume fluids doesn't matter. Drinking Water or any other Fluid feels exactly like it did before I had surgery. Is this normal? I certainly don't feel "full" or anything like that, nor do I feel pain. I'm drinking slowly because they told me to, but if I wanted to, I'm convinced I could rapidly drink pretty much any Fluid without feeling anything. Protein shakes, Water, flavored water, sugar-free popsicle, whatever---it all just goes right down the hatch. Is this normal?

2) The first 3 days I had 0 appetite, but now I have moments where I crave food as much as I did before if not more so. Consuming one of the allowed fluid "meals" doesn't always help and I just have to deal with it. At moments, the hunger almost feels painful. Is this normal?

Any experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin, I'm newly sleeved too (8-22-13) and other than the first few days, I too am not having difficulty drinking Water. I've had no pain no nausea to speak of. Just had my post op appointment today and my surgeon's opinion was she wished all her patients did as well! She did say not to jump ahead I the dietary guidelines in order to protect the "pouch."

Good luck in your journey!

I had hunger starting shortly after surgery so I know that experience. However, it is important to keep to the diet given as to not hurt your tummy. Also, just because you can gulp doesn't mean you should.

Your tummy is still so swolen and sore, it may not register the pain of drinking too fast. I would say, keep sipping so as to not hurt yourself in the long run. Eventually the swelling will decrease and if you don't sip, you'll find out the painful way that you should have.

As for feeling "full" that probably won't happen until you're able to do solids. Many don't feel any fullness until then. So get your mind ready to aim for satisfied instead of full. Full can be the difference between feeling good and being stuck in bed with a horrible tummy ache.

Other than that, keep drinking your Water because it sounds like you're doing great.

Thanks for the feedback. Even though it feels fine, I'm still sipping my liquids slowly (they told me I can switch to "pureed" on 8/30.) If nothing else, I'm certainly getting my reccomended Protein and exceeding my suggested fluids per day, and I'm also walking upwards of 4 miles each day as well.

The walks are feeling pretty good...seems to help with the pain and I was told it would help with the healing process, so I just keep putting my shoes on and walking some more.

I talked to the nutritionist today, and she said some people with the sleeve say that they think "the doctor forgot to do the surgery" a week out because many people tolerate the liquids well. Apparently I'm not alone. We shall see how things get once I start to transition to more solid food.

Great to find this website where I can talk to others who have shared this experience.

Also congratulations to Watugiv in starting your journey toward a (hopefully) healthier life!

Excess stomach acid can mimic hunger. Are you taking a PPI like Omeprazole for stomach acid? This helped me with my "hunger" feelings.

Excess stomach acid can mimic hunger. Are you taking a PPI like Omeprazole for stomach acid? This helped me with my "hunger" feelings.

Yes, I'm taking Omeprazole (and have for 10 years,) and it seems to work well for the reflux that I've historically experienced, and seems to be working fine now in that I don't feel any reflux or anything like that.

I thought I had a hiatal hernia, but my surgeon said that he carefully examined and did not see any hernia. He did say, however, that I have a "very large" esophagus. When I watched the barium swallow on the real-time X-ray, all the barium just sat in my espophagus (which was much larger than the sleeve,) and he kept saying "swallow," and I did, but only a little barium trickled down into the sleeve.

Basically, the surgeon said that what I thought was a hernia was likely this esophagus issue, and probably for many years. He's going to send me to a GI doc to see what (if anything) can be done to help, but for now I'm just going to continue the Omeprazole and hope for the best. My sleeve surgeon suggested that it might improve with weight loss.

Not sure if the giant esophagus is related to the sensation of hunger or not. Though I have noticed that I take a handfull of pills in the morning, and they go down fine as well, but I suspect that they are just sitting at the bottom of the esophagus and trickling through as gravity pulls them down.

Wow! That's great that your docs could tell you about the esophagus. I wish you the best in your sleeve journey!!

I have a "very large" esophagus.

Justin, "mega-oesophagus" can be associated with Addison's disease. I believe your blood work would be a bit wacky if that was the case, but just thought I'd mention it in case it's worth following up. Good luck.

I had surgery the same that you did and I felt very full for the first four days but now I feel comfortable I don't even have to drink anything and I don't have any hunger. Wife is bringing me Soup from apple bees. Probably have 10 spoon fools then save for tomorrow. If i drink a lot fast my head gets fuzzy. So far 20lbs today. I will weigh every wednesday morning since surgery was last wed. What about you?

I also take Calcium chocolate cheweble from target 3 times, a multi, omerprazole twice and some liquid called carafate 4 times a day. Carafate helps prevent ulcers. Its only for 3 months though

I could drink Water with no problem right out of the gate. was so incredibly hungry too, that first week home. i started taking prilosec which stopped the "hunger pangs." The rest of my hunger was in my head. Wait until you get to puréed and soft foods you will feel FULL like you never felt full in your life. My first puréed meal, I ate some refried Beans too quickly and I thought the discomfort would never go away. I'm one month out today, started soft foods. Got full on half of a scrambled egg this morning. Had some chicken in curry sauce with canned green beans for lunch. So good, omg, I could get in maybe 2-3 oz before I was no longer interested but not too full. I subsisted on mostly yogurt, Protein enhanced sugar free pudding and tiny bits of Peanut Butter, along with the horrible constipating Protein Drinks for the last month. So glad I can eat real foods again. I reiterate the other commenters who said to not rush it. Good luck!

Thanks for bringing this up! I was sleeved on the 26th and just got home today. I am having no problem sipping my Water, I'm up to 56 ounces already. I had a Jello and a cup of broth too. I was worried I'm able to take in too much. Glad to hear others are feeling similar. I also have no gas pain either. Just lucky I guess???

I'm in the same boat too! Sleeved on Aug. 22 and I can drink as much as I want with no ill effects. I try to remember to just sip, but it's hard - old habits die hard. I'm in the same boat with food and I'm worried about it. I can eat a 5.5 oz yogurt with no real trouble and no ill effects. Just went to Panera and had their cup of Tomato Soup and felt very satisfied, but not overly full afterwards. Is this normal?? Also, I see you guys are walking like crazy.... Man! I am still just exhausted! I could sleep all day if I let myself....!

Thanks for all the posts!

I'm in the same boat too! Sleeved on Aug. 22.... Also, I see you guys are walking like crazy.... Man! I am still just exhausted! I could sleep all day if I let myself....!

I was told to walk for at least 10 minutes for every hour I'm resting or still, but I've been feeling pretty good in the mornings especially, so I figured it would be good to walk for much longer as long as my body felt good. I try to get in a long walk in the morning and then a few smaller walks throughout the day, but I also feel the "drained/exhaused" feeling too. Today I think I took like a 2 hour nap in the afternoon after my long morning walk. I think feeling tired is normal after our bodies have been through the ordeal of major surgery.