Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just lied!

It doesn't really bother me to tell people that i had gastric sleeve surgery. I don't care what others think about my decision because what really matters is that I am now much happier and am on my own journey to better health.

It doesn't really bother me to tell people that i had gastric sleeve surgery. I don't care what others think about my decision because what really matters is that I am now much happier and am on my own journey to better health.

This is pretty much how I feel. In fact I told people and tell them openly.

However when I'm asked a question I think is personal...I usually just look at them, give them this face :o, and stare. That usually gets people to backpeddle and stammer some type of apology/explanation. They then change the subject.

Sometimes silence is the best way to go with ignorance.

I've only told a few people at work, and they all know it was not to be shared. Yet, somehow everyone knows. It's so irritating. And, to top it off, people are asking other people how much I've lost. It's none of their business. I told one person to respond "I don't know. How much have you gained?" Tacky, I know...

This past weekend i have stopped telling people how much weight I've lost. It does get kind of tiring to tell everyone. My family is happy for me to be doing something for myself . My hubbies parents are another story. It has been one of my pet peeves with hubbies parents. They constantly have bugged me about my weight since I had my oldest daughter(16). I am honest about the surgery but I do agree with you about keeping it my own business. If people do ask specificly I think that just saying "Thank you I feel great. Thanks for asking." May be my new montra.

This past weekend i have stopped telling people how much weight I've lost. It does get kind of tiring to tell everyone. My family is happy for me to be doing something for myself . My hubbies parents are another story. It has been one of my pet peeves with hubbies parents. They constantly have bugged me about my weight since I had my oldest daughter(16). I am honest about the surgery but I do agree with you about keeping it my own business. If people do ask specificly I think that just saying "Thank you I feel great. Thanks for asking." May be my new montra.

I quit telling people how much weight I lost years ago. Every year I would diet and lose 30 pounds. It would find me again by the end of the year. When people ask, I just say, "a bunch" or "quite a bit." A couple people have asked me "well, how much is a bunch?" My reply is "a good amount." They usually get by then that it is not a topic for discussion.

It really is just no one's business. They only reason people ask is to use it for a topic of discussion with someone else.

I have considered telling people something other than the truth, really contemplated all the various embarrassing scenarios within my circle of family friends and coworkers and after all that worrying what I have decided is why not say what I've chosen? I am proud to be making a healthy preventative choice for my future. Those people who talk trash, bring people down, haters, and non supportive types will always be there doing what they do because they're miserable. I am not interested in what they think. We need to surround ourselves with healthy individuals and stop giving power to the sick ones.

I am practicing my mantra....

I did make this choice for myself, and I feel fantastic. Thank you for noticing! What do you think? ;-)

I've only told a few people at work' date=' and they all know it was not to be shared. Yet, somehow everyone knows. It's so irritating. And, to top it off, people are asking other people how much I've lost. It's none of their business. I told one person to respond "I don't know. How much have you gained?" Tacky, I know...[/quote']

We are in the same both but i literally BOL @ your response. Loved it.

I am pre- sleeve, and hoping to have my surgery in late Sept or early Oct. I am a hairdresser, and I see all types of people and personalities. Now I live in the south out in the country and there is a phrase we use to describe people who would ask something like that. "They just don't have any gumption" which is to mean, no common sense or just plain ole weren't taught any better! To those people who ask, I'm just going to smile and say " i just decided it was time to make some changes in my life" and leave it at that. Now, I think the reason we feel bad about not wanting to tell people, is because I think so many people judge it as a cop out and see us as failures at being able to control our weight. Too much of society still see's "those weight loss people" as lazy and weak. Sometimes I think they view us as a bunch of slobs. This makes me sad, because this type of judgmental attitude is hurtful, ignorant and prejudice. Even if we have the surgery and lose all the weight, some people will still see separate us from those who in their opinion, lost it the right way. It's so sad to know that respect is lost because of the decision to have WLS. People just don't have a clue what sacrifices are made with this choice.

2btrim, I hear you! I'm in South Alabama, and we refer to it as "no home trainin'". At the same time, I'm a nurse, and I've run into so many people who want to ask questions or are looking for information and support and just don't know the polite way to do that. I guess "I'm thinking about weight loss surgery, is it something you considered?" never occurred to them. Bless their hearts.

I am pre op. I am telling everyone that I am close to and work with that I am preparing to have the sleeve. I work at an elementary school and things go through the school like crazy. I am not ashamed. I know everyone is different but I see nothing wrong with having this done. If i did I might re-think it. But one thing is right. It is ones own choice and it is nobody's business.

I don't like judgmental behavior, and I hate to be a hypocrite, BUT I think in this situation I may wind up having to judging a book by its cover. If its cover is nice and plump and appears to be genuinely interested to know my secret, I think I will tell them how I and maybe how they too can lose the weight. BUT if the cover is all slim and trim and appears to be just nosey, then they will most definitely be getting a different response.

People think that weight loss surgery is easy. Well from what I can gather easy does not describe it. First you have to make a decision that will be life changing. Then you have to drink Protein Shakes 2 weeks before you have this life changing surgery. Then you have to do liquids, soft foods, and so on. It is not like you have surgery and bam it is over. This is a tool and only that. Ladies hold your head up announce it to the world and know that it was a long hard road to get here.

I don't like judgmental behavior' date=' and I hate to be a hypocrite, BUT I think in this situation I may wind up having to judging a book by its cover. If its cover is nice and plump and appears to be genuinely interested to know my secret, I think I will tell them how I and maybe how they too can lose the weight. BUT if the cover is all slim and trim and appears to be just nosey, then they will most definitely be getting a different response.[/quote']

I like your idea, that's a good one. Or like someone else on this forum said something like "why, did you have the surgery?" Or just stare at them and say what's that? Just do something funny or stupid and they'll leave you alone.

I intended to tell no one but when anyone asks I tell them I had surgery on my stomach to help my health. I explain I have all but lost the two comorbidities that affected my health, which is a huge relief to me, and have lost weight too. At that point, people rarely ask any more.

I only told my immediate family and no one else. My medical history other than my neurosurgery is my business. I had one family member remark about my weight loss and stated before I could say anything, that she knew people who had surgery and are now gaining their weight back. She said all of this before I got out a word as I was getting dinner at a family affair. She made a comment about how little I had on my plate and that she's a big girl and that was her snack portion. No wonder she weighed at least 325 and went on to say she loves food too much to have surgery.

Sometimes a smile from you and someone with a big mouth will save you from saying anything at all.

Btw- she talked so much I never had to answer the question and went back to the table with my wife to eat. Good luck to you.

You know, another option would be to reply with the most farfetched thing you can imagine, such as "Tapeworms will do that for ya" or "You know, turns out Voodoo diet self-hypnosis really does work! I just sit and stare for hours and never even think about potato chips." The fun begins when they tell co-workers about your worms. One of two things will happen. Either they'll sound like complete morons, or no one will ever steal your lunch again. Either way, yay!