Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hey Banditos,:biggrin1: How are we all? Anna I am sooooo excited for you mate!:biggrin1: That is so excellant about the clothes. They have some nice stuff at Big City Chic. You are not going to be a customer of theirs for long though coz you are goanna be too skinny!!!!

Meredith, I think I might have a fortnightly Starbucks. I just won't have any asparagus.;) I got the Mederma gel today. Forty bucks a pop.

Dionne, The tenderness around the port will abate after about a few weeks. I find I am now able to sleep on both sides , whereas before I could only sleep on my right side. I did mushies for two weeks, after the initial two week liquid phase.

Tomorrow I am starting solids.:) I am packing it, because I had half a cup of mushies today, and I was full. What is going on? I have not even had a fill yet. Is it normal to make mistakes while you are still learning how all this works?

Karen gday.

Susannah

Hi Everybody, I forgot to tell you all something. I read that bogus story in the Women's Day about Oprah considering being banded. What really pissed me off was when it was stated that she decided to not '' Take the coward's way out" by being banded. Also that she decided to lose weight " The only Honest way" by dieting.

Are we cowards for being banded? I think not. I think that we are actually very heroic, by stepping up and saying '' I need to do something about my weight. I need help".

Are we dishonest? I think not. We are facing the truth about a disease that could claim our lives, and we are facing it head on. We are very honest, and ethical.

I hate those women's rags. They just make up stories to try to destroy lives.

Susannah

Hi susannah ( and everyone else of course!)

it is normal to make "mistakes" at this stage in fact most of them are not mistakes really, more a case of having to work out how you and your band are interacting- the rules are a good guide but we are all different so jsut go slowly and carefully at each change.

As for the fact that you can only eat 1/2 cup of mushies at this stage, sounds like you still have some natural restriction. Could be from swelling post surgery still beng present. You will notice that this feeling gets less but can be slower for some than others- I have heard of people who have not had any fill until almost a year post op and done well! As you lose weight you will lose internal fat around the stomach so this will make the band looser.

I can understand the anxiety about progressing to solids but I would suggest you use an approach similar to introducing a baby/toddler to solids, don't make rapid changes- do it gradually. make the mushies less mushy eventauly graduating to solid. I have to do this after my fills or I run into problems quickly. After my last fill it took me about 10 days to get back to my normal diet. If you hit a problem, go back a step for the next meal or two then try again. it might seem slow but it works for me

Bronnie- 6 more sleeps to go! Yay

Im feeling a bit lonely... here i sit reading all your stories and im basically the only one not banded..... but........ not long now.

Im seeing Dr nottle next Wednesday ( 2 days before op).... i am led to believe that he is doing 3 lapbands that morning......... im going to beg him to let me go first. I know i'll be so nervous on the day and i dont wont to sit and wait for hours.

Im going to need all of your support and encouragement this week .............

Hi Bronnie, They give you a mild sedative when you are admitted to calm your nerves, so you are not sitting around stressing too much.

It is great that you didn't have to do the sleep study. That is a positive.

Not long now, and you will be on your way to being a new woman.

Susannah

Don't feel lonely Bronnie, we're all still here baracking on for you mate! The next week is going to FLY by! and then you'll be making recommendations and telling stories like an old time bander in no time!

Susannah I agree with Karen, a lot of your banding lessons will be trial and error. There are things that my dad can't eat that I can and vice versa. I have 7.5 mls in my band and at the moment he has none(he's been sick with something serious so the surgeon took it all out). We are totally different! Sure it will be good to take on board other peoples advice, but I tend to think if you can try teeny tiny bites of something new at home and see how you go, then you won't ever go with out something you actually can eat, just because you're not "supposed" to. Enjoy your first day of solids tomorrow. I'd recommend mince (beef, turkey or chicken) if you feel like meat just cos its easier to eat (especially seeing it sounds like you have a bit of restriction - good for you!). I made (well cooked) Pasta salad in my first week of solids, with diced up veggies and kidney Beans and a tiny bit of no fat dresssing. It was good to chew at last, but have something relatively soft to start with. Things like banana, tinned fruit, tinned fish are good things to start on too. Just think about foods that are solid but naturally soft and ease yourself in that way. Good luck!

Hi all

How is everyone going ? Just got Back from my holiday in queensland and had to jump online quickly to see how you all are...it Seems like ages since i was here last.. my god Bronnie.. u have only a week to go! How excited must you be ? :clap2: I am so envious and susannah you are already on solids. U r doing really well. Anna Congrats on your 10th anniversary ,

hi to everyone else as well.. will catch up on all the posts soon

take care

Mate... im going to stop wingeing about having to wait just under 4 weeks from my !st consult until my operation date!!!

I was just looking at another post site and some of those people have been sitting waiting for years for lapbanding on a public waiting list.......

I guess although im getting nervous... i am very lucky as the new me isnt far away....cant wait to meet her!!! :)

Hey all,

I've already posted a few times on the site but i thought i should offically introduce myself LOL

I'm from Sydney and was banded May 2006. I've more or less reached my goal weight, but still find this site a great support.

Hope u all don't mind me crashing LOL

Angel

Hi All, Hi Angel. Welcome, and I am glad you found us. How is everybody going with their exercising? I have been told that I need to do 30 minutes a day. I have been walking, and doing home exercise dvd's. I can't afford to go to gym at the moment, so I was wondering it it would be good to go to a sports shop and just buy some hand weights and lift them at home?

Anybody tried the resistance bands for the same purpose?

Also do you think your body can tell the difference between pure Water, and water that has got a nip of diet cordial in it? I go a bit batty having to drink 8 glasses of pure water a day.:)

Susannah

Hey Meredith, We are getting a fill on the same day next week.:clap2: My first, and your fifth. I wonder how my body will take to it? Will it be painful? Do you usually go back to liquids afterwards for a few days?

Susannah

Hi All, Hi Angel. Welcome, and I am glad you found us. How is everybody going with their exercising? I have been told that I need to do 30 minutes a day. I have been walking, and doing home exercise dvd's. I can't afford to go to gym at the moment, so I was wondering it it would be good to go to a sports shop and just buy some hand weights and lift them at home?

Anybody tried the resistance bands for the same purpose?

Also do you think your body can tell the difference between pure Water, and water that has got a nip of diet cordial in it? I go a bit batty having to drink 8 glasses of pure water a day.:)

Susannah

The resistance bands are really good, I used them and found them to be better then the weights. Free weights can be an expensive thing. As you get used to the diffrent weights u have to buy more that are heavier. Go the resistance bands and if u feel like a change on any given day, grab some cans of baked Beans etc from the cupboard and use them. :)

I cheated with the cordial, I think sometimes u just have to give in to the little things, to help stop u from giving in to the bigger things.

Angel