Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi All,

Meredith - Thanks for all that advice, it's hard now because I feel like I did B4 i was banded and I am hungry but obviously limiting myself, its getting out of that food mindset of am I really hungry or just wanting a particular food. I tried cottage cheese with a bit of tuna last night and it was pretty good, had 1 milky weetbix today and was ok, just need to get used to what feeling satisfied really feels like and stopping there instead of eating beacuse I THINK I want more.

Susannah - How are you going? Hows the weight loss? Are you exercising yet? How are you going mentally with it all?

Bronnie - You are so close!!! Stay away from undies that will sit high on your waist as you will have your incision sites and bloating to deal with, in fact I found it most comfortable just being in my undies and a singlet top that was really loose (just a tip).

Loretta - Do you have a date yet??

Take care all, chat soon!!!

Bronnie, I know its easier said than done, but don't be nervous! Be excited! This will be the start of the rest of your life, and you'll finally be joining the rest of us! Can't wait to hear you posting about your weight loss and milestones!! It will be happening in no time!

No worries Dionne! Happy to help. I'm just over 3 months out and some times I still have to consciously tell myself to stop. Its a hard habit to over come being an onvereater, but the band sure does help. You'll find as you get more fills it will be easier and easier to know when its time to stop, your body just buts up the big STOP sign and thats it!

Hi Dionne, I am a few weeks ahead of you in all this, but a lot of your thoughts and questions are the same as mine. I am still getting my head around how to eat properly. I guess it will take time to master it all. I am going to see my surgeon tomorrow, so I will jump on his scales to see how much I have lost. I spent $60 on scales last year, and they are crappola!

I bookmarked my ticker page on my sister's computer, so I can't change my ticker until I go up there again next week. Unless someone can suggest another way of doing it.

Bronnie I love Subway chicken subs! Gonna miss em!:D Go all out on the last supper type stuff!:biggrin1: I didn't, but wish I had squeezed in a Sub.:bananajump:

Hi Loretta, Meredith, Jess, Anna, Jacqui,Mark,Angel, Fee,Karen, and all.

Susannah

Hi All,

Ok I just had a baked potato for dinner with some light sour cream & some light cheese, mixed it all togerther so it was like runny mash and ate very slowly but managed to eat it all IS THIS NORMAL.. I am worried that I can eat too much....

Hi all,

hope you are all feeling great :D

Bronnie, I am feeling nervous for you. I can imagine what it must be like but just think ..this time next week you wil be well on your way to the new you u lucky girl :clap2: I think i would be treating myself to a really yummy lunch tomorrow ..not overdoing it but just sumthing that maybe you think u might not be able to have again..dunno if that is the right way to think but still think i would do it all the same..like susannah said a last supper type of thing :phanvan

Dionnem..nope. still no date I think it may be a while as i am a public patient. I actually heard that Nottle is knocking back people now so i think he may be really busy so may take longer than i first expected :faint:

susannah.. how is everything going with you? Is it what you thought it would be like ?

hi to everyone else

Susannah

I use the theraband resistance bands for excercse and I love them! Just make sure that you get an excercse guide to show you how to use them- its important that your joints are in the right position etc. I got a set of three different resistance strengths made by the company theraband - I think the set of 3 was $35

I have a dodgy shoulder so I also got a shoulder pulley that hooks over a door, they are used in rehab and provide a good safe way to start above shoulder level excercises.

At the moment I am waiting to see a rehab specalist physio to help me work out a safe routine but in the meantime the resistance bands are great. I do also do simple excercises with small hands weight ( arm curls etc)- I got some for $2 a piece from GO LO!

My biggest excercise achivement is I have actually be taking a few steps!! I ordered a device called a knee scooter that had imported from the US ( they don't sell them here), it allows me to kneel on the end of my stump to walk since I cannot get a prosthesis- After being completely wheelchair bound for over five years I can now do laps of the lounge room. takes me 1 hour to do 20 laps ( each lap is 3.5 metres)- I do one lap and sit etc. Not real practical walking as it takes to much concentration but it certainly is a workout!

Dionne

if you have not had any fill yet you may be able to eat what seems like larger amounts, once the post op sweling goes down and before your first fill you do not have true restrction. Just concentrate on eating slowly, and try to take note of when you don't feel hungry anymore.

We all struggle with getting used to whether the desire for the next bite is because we are truly hungry or becaue we want it or think we need it. They say that it takes about 20 mnutes for the brain to register the full feeling from your stomach so just eat really slowly- even that take practice, take small bites and really savor every mouthful- even a small meal will easily take 20 mins.

For me I found that if I ate to the point of feeling full it was often one mouthful too much, so now I try to concentrate on when I no longer actually feel hungry- but even now that sometimes has been wanting that next bite, its getting easire to realise what is hunger and what is head hunger.

Bronnie

I understand your nerves, try to focus on all the positives that are heading your way. there is only a slight difference in being excited and being nervous, maybe if you can see this as the potential for so much positive change it might make it easier to be excited rather than nervous. TIme will go quickly

2 days to go................. Im seeing the surgeon at 4.30pm today...... he wants to go through my results ( HaHa... i already know them all... the bonus of being a nurse) and i think he just wants to see if i have any questions. Undoubtably that will be another $120- consult fee.

Hi All,

KarenB Thanks for that advice I guess you worry about all sorts of things b4 you see the doc again, great to hear you can find stuff to help you out all exercise is good exercise, I think I'll try to find those bands they sound great.!!!

Bronnie - 2 days to go, I can still picture it in my head myself only a few weeks ago. You will do great, how long are they keeping you in hospital after the surgery? I went home the next day but really think another day would have been good, the drive home was awful (1&1/2hrs). 2 days B4 my op I had a really nice meal, then the day b4 I thought I might want crappy food just for the sake of it but I ended up having salad for dinner & I felt better for it.

Loreeta - Public health system SUCKS... don't even get me started on it in QLD you really realise how good VIC is when you come up here. Keep your chin up!!!!

So I got another 0.5ml on my band today. 8ml total now. I'm hoping thats it for a while. And I loss 2kg since my last fill 2 weeks ago.

Susannah, how did your fill go?

Hi all...

i think im only going to be in hospital overnight. I just hope they do me early friday morning. Im seeing the surgeon at 4.30pm today so will try and find out roughly what time im going in.

Hi Everyone, :) I saw my surgeon today. Firstly he was happy that I have lost 7 kilos since the surgery. Then the bad news. He tried to put my first fill in and was unable to after several attempts. He then told me he thought that my port had flipped!:eek:

I was then sent to the hospital in the afternoon to have it looked at under fluroscopy. They looked at it and then told me that it was on an angle and was not sitting flat. It was moving around like a pea on a plate, and it had come away from its stiching.:eek:

They turned me on my side and were able to put a 1 ml fill in it. Basically they said it may still flip, they are not sure.

The upshot of this is that I have to go back to the surgeon in three weeks, and he has mentioned if it does completely flip I will have to have another procedure to have it re opened and re stiched.:eek: I know one in 10 people can have a complication, but why me!!!:P

I will try not to worry about it until I next see the surgeon. I just can't go through the pain again.:)

Susannah

sorry to hear that Susannah... im sure all will be okay.

Anyway... i just came from seeing my surgeon... good news is im definately being banded on friday... bad news is he has 3 minor procedures, 1 lap chole and 3 lapbandings to do that day... IM LAST!!!!!

He said because he does the minor first and then the ones that may have more difficulty and then the one that he think will be straight forward and that is me. Im going to be chewing my fingernails all day.