Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am familiar with complications but did not read any horror stories until last night. Now I am terrified! How do you get past what could go wrong?? Surgery is 9/4. I really need to be healthier than I am.

Hi Angie,

Wow, this was me just about 2.5 weeks ago! From the time I decided on my Doctor to my surgery date was 3 weeks so while I didn't have long to fret over every possible thing that could go wrong I took full advantage and fretted 24/7. Literally I was lying on the operating table before they put be under and I was stressed out.

Fast forward to today, when I am exactly two weeks along, and I have to say that all that worry did was get me sleepless nights and make me a bit unbearable to be around. Follow your doctor's instructions (pre and post op) and that will alleviate many chances of you having complications.

Between the pre-op diet through today I have lost 28 pounds which is amazing to me. My stomach hasn't growled or acted hungry since prior to my surgery and when I follow the guidelines for liquids, Proteins, etc. I feel awesome and I know that I am giving myself the best opportunity to succeed.

Perhaps your doctor and/or their anesthesiologist can talk to you in person or over the phone where you can ask the questions you have and hear their responses and feel comforted by them.

If you are like everyone else you probably put a lot into researching who you wanted to do your surgery, etc.

I hope something I said helps.

Pangur, from the Star City...

YEP, a perfect response.

Bad things can happen, when you cross any street. But they don't often happen. Do your homework (as you have) and learn about the sleeve before, during and after surgery. Learn if your surgeon has a lot of experience doing the procedure. I'm betting that you will be a winning loser!!!

How did you get past the problems and possible life ending side affects of being fat?

After surgery, ever little unexpected pain I was convinced I had a leak. it didn't help that the 5th day, my muscles started tensing up, my fingers were contracted and my face contorted. Not to mention my shoulder and back hurt really badly. didn't believe my nurse when I called her and she said it wasn't a leak. So hubby took me to the ER. On the way, I was then convinced I was having s troke. Just couldnt relax my muscles. They diagnosed me within the first 2 minutes. Asked me if I had taken Reglan or compazine. I said I was on Reglan twice a day since surgery. They gave my benadryl in my iv and I immediately felt relief. it was called a Dystonic Reaction to Reglan. Scared me to death.

For some reason, after that I relaxed about every little pain I was having. It's normal to have pain after any surgery, doesn't mean there's complications. Complications are very rare (1% I believe for a leak). My dr has done many, many sleeves (not sure of the exact number) but has only had 2 leaks, and they were caused by negligence (not following the diet)

But I know what you mean about stressing out and not being able to think about anything else but something going wrong. Take a Xanax and relax! You'll be fine!

All I can say is your reaction is normal.

I tortured myself for about a year before finally deciding that the "risk" of a horror story was worth the gamble since i had 100% chance of staying fat, miserable, unhealthy and become disabled and probably experience early death...

I picked a surgeon I trusted and followed his advice to a "T". Not sure what else to do... but i can totally relate to your fears. Only you can decide if the risks are worth it. For me, it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Click on my profile to see my before and afters and I am guessing you might agree with me there!

I was fine until a few days before my surgery... I kept thinking what am I doing? I was in a panic about my kids...What will happen to them?

Well everything turned out fine... I am 10 months out and down 160lbs.

Good Luck!