Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week and significant muscle loss !

Hello, i have successfully completed my operation 1 week ago, all seems to be fine and i have already lost 15 pounds. however when i checked the scale it was mostly muscles. my first week dite was mainly liquids and didn't include Protein Shakes or Vitamins. now the Dr. has approved adding those would that be enough to fix this? or do i need to more ?

OMG! No Protein or Vitamins the first week?! This is SO crucial in recovery, especially for maintaining muscle. I am seriously blown away by this and would be interested to know if anyone else is. You should def make sure that you get in at least 80 grams of Protein a day according to most bariatric post-op diets (80-120 grams) AND take a multi-Vitamin. You should be able to regain your muscle deficit within a few weeks, especially if you have started short walks yet; just don't overdo it. I've been using 1lb dumbells for my arms while I lie in bed watching TV, the doc said it was fine.

Please let us know the outcome, I hope you get the muscle back quickly! :)

thanks for your response, agree with you that its strange, not sure whats the science behind it. well i now got whey Isopure and hope ill regain them soon. on the Multivitamins as i cant swallow yet pills he gave me kids Multivitamin. is there any better option of liquid multivitamins ?

thanks for your response' date=' agree with you that its strange, not sure whats the science behind it. well i now got whey Isopure and hope ill regain them soon. on the multivitamins as i cant swallow yet pills he gave me kids multivitamin. is there any better option of liquid multivitamins ?[/quote']

There are adult chewables or Gummy ones as well that are better then the kid ones as they have the proper dose for an adult.

Hello' date=' i have successfully completed my operation 1 week ago, all seems to be fine and i have already lost 15 pounds. however when i checked the scale it was mostly muscles. my first week dite was mainly liquids and didn't include Protein shakes or Vitamins. now the Dr. has approved adding those would that be enough to fix this? or do i need to more ?[/quote']

Protein this early out is less important than dehydration. If you can tolerate Isopure or another Liquid Protein that's great. Same thing with Vitamins. My nut recommended the Flintstones chewables that have Iron. I take two per day with meals. I also take chewable Calcium citrate and a sublingual b-12. Liquids and chewable vitamins are absorbed more readily. Take what you can tolerate, it gets easier as you heal. Good luck.

I could not stomach Protein Shakes or those chewable vitamins for the first 2 months! I had to eat very small portions of chicken and meat and take adult gummies Vitamins. I loss muscle weight along with a ton of fat and THAT IS OKAY! When you regain your strength back and eat more and more frequently, you will get your Protein in. But you have to do weight training! Drinking protein does not bring back bigger muscles. Your body is starving and attacking your muscles for fuel and easing off the fat. I have a lot of loose skin but it looks better now after I did weight training to bring definition back. Get some free weights from the house and start using your muscles. Trick your body by telling it that you are not starving somewhere and u have plenty of meat to live on so have the body feed off your fat! Thats what we are supposed to be doing! THIS IS OF COURSE AFTER YOU HAVE STRENGTH. DON'T SWEAT THE MUSCLE LOSS. IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN THRU A MAJOR SURGERY. Give yourself a month before you start weight training. You will see the results after a week! You will be in front of the mirror flexing in no time!! Good Luck!

thanks that's very encouraging

My Protein intake was no where near the recommended the 1st week or 2. Dr said to concentrate on liquids so not to become dehydrated and that protein would increase gradually. I started a chewable multi Vitamin and a B-12 sublingual a couple of days after surgery. Good luck!

thanks for your response' date=' agree with you that its strange, not sure whats the science behind it. well i now got whey Isopure and hope ill regain them soon. on the multivitamins as i cant swallow yet pills he gave me kids multivitamin. is there any better option of liquid multivitamins ?[/quote']

Isotonix multimineral and the Vitamin are great! You just put a capful of powder and shoot it

I use the chewable multi & Calcium from Unjury. I also use their shakes. Every program is different, but generally it seems to be liquids first with a close second being Protein.< /p>

I was also told no Protein or Vitamins for a week. I'm actually calling the Nut today and double checking everything. Puree is 2 days away! lol

Isotonix multimineral and the Vitamin are great! You just put a capful of powder and shoot it

I use this, as well. Very easy to take.

My NUT suggested opurity multivitamins for me. They are designed specifically for sleeve and bypass patients. My guess is it has something to do with how they are absorbed but not sure. Anyway, you only need one a day, plus Calcium. They do run a little low on B12 so she suggested to take additional B12 a couple times a week. I got them yesterday and tried it. I am pre op, but trying things out to at least have an idea. These pills are large chewables but not gummies. They weren't horrible but they seemed very (ie: TOO) sweet. But I figure post op it will be hard to consume one as quickly, will probably have to break it up so then the sweetness won't be as overwhelming. OPurity is best for me because it does not have added Vitamin k. (I am on warfarin for life and need to restrict vitamin k) I think everyone's NUT and surgeon has different plans they follow. The overall basic is the same, but the rates and stages varies. My NUT said Protein, protein, protein along with staying hydrated. Just stay with what works for you. Things will even out. At least you seem to be doing pretty well with recovery!

I was told at the hospital upon discharge to not take my Vitamins for 2 weeks. I learned that the most important thing for the first few weeks is to obsess over getting in my fluids to prevent dehydration. I actually started drinking Protein Shakes about 1 week post op and just a little and then gradually increased. As for muscle loss this soon out, I don't believe I had muscle loss, I felt weak but that's because I wasn't getting enough Protein at the time. My body could live off my fat reserves before eating my muscle....I wouldn't worry about it right now. Take care of you and get your fluids in. The rest will come in due time. :P