Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness Plan ideas

Im 8 months post op

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: upper body heavy weight lifting for 30 minutes' date=' 10 minutes treadmill inclined,10 minutes stair master, 10 minutes elliptical.

Tuesday/Thursday: lower body: intense lower body exercises 40 minutes(squats,pile squats,lunges,dead lift,leg press,high kicks,knee highs), 20 minutes cardio (elliptical,treadmill , stair master).

I try my best to exercise 5 days a week. Ive been doing well and think Im building muscle because the scale is going up. Only complaint is that Exercise makes me intensely hungry :) when I dont exercise I can go all day without eating.[/quote']

Great workout! If you are hungry, I say eat your calories. Good carbs, good fats and lean Protein. Your workouts need the fuel that comes from eating not only on workout days, but also on rest days because of the accumulative effect of calories throughout the week.

3 months post op as of next week. I workout 5 days a week and slowly adding more to my work outs.

Monday- aqua fit and then 30 mins of continuous lap swimming routing between freestyle, breast stroke and back stroke (1.5hrs)

Tuesday - either lap swimming for 1hr or spinning/elliptical/row machine for 45 mins total

Wednesday - aqua fit and then 30 mins of continuous lap swimming routing between freestyle, breast stroke and back stroke (1.5hrs)

Thursday - free day unless I wasn't able to work out for one of the days

Friday - always a free day but try to step up my walking

Saturday - aqua fit and then 30 mins of continuous lap swimming routing between freestyle, breast stroke and back stroke (1.5hrs)

Sunday- either lap swimming for 1hr or spinning/elipitcal/row machine for 45 mins total

I will add in strength training to my spinning/elliptical days. Also I'd like to up my times to 2 hours but we'll see I've come a long way at four weeks I worked out 3 times a week for 30 mins so I'm happy with the progress

That sounds like a lot of fun doing those classes. There is nothing like the motivation that comes from working out as a group, sort of a kindred spirit where the aggregate is much more then the individual parts. Both Tabata and Zumba are awesome. I am curious: what do you get to do in Body Combat? Is that like mma training?

Body Combat is a mix of martial arts. I burn almost 700 calories in a 55 minute class. Muy Tai, Karate, boxing, taikwondo. Serious rock music (not my favorite to listen to but it gets me into combat mode).

I did the Turbo Kick class today. LOVED it! Something for every part of the body - burned almost as many calories as body combat (moves faster so I have to get used to the moves and that should help)

I want to start building more muscle so I think I may change things up with more weight training in the coming month.

In the 4 months since I joined the gym I lost 27 pounds and gained 10 pounds of muscle. I went from 46.9% body fat to 32%. My ultimate body fat would be 25 - 27 percent. I want some more muscles :D

Oh how I envy this schedule. I wish I had a life that allowed such regimented scheduling. I switch back and forth from days to nights every week at work...working every other weekend....always changing my schedule. I pretty much have to plan every workout around all that. So one week I'm working out first thing in the morning, the next week it's late evening...sometimes in the middle of the day or the middle of the night. I've run at 3am plenty of times before being at work at 5. It's not fun but sometimes it's all I have.

Thnks, I am really enjoying getting to have this schedule as I know it won't last, we move again in 3-4 months and who knows after that, got enjoy it while I have it!

Really super consistency towards working out during the week. I admire your dedication and focus. Thanks for sharing.

Consistency is the name of the game for me at least, it keeps me going even when I don't

I could use advice, I've been having back problems. Physical therapist says I need to strengthen my core which I work on in my circuit class but that's not enough. Any suggestions and easy thing I can do at home to build up core strength?

I could use advice' date=' I've been having back problems. Physical therapist says I need to strengthen my core which I work on in my circuit class but that's not enough. Any suggestions and easy thing I can do at home to build up core strength?[/quote']

What is the nature of the problem? As an LMT I've found that often lower back pain and stiffness is the result of tight and weak glutes.

7 months out

6 days a week-1 hr of medium to intense cardio

3-4 days a week 60 minutes weight training (1 day a week with personal trainer) alternating arm, leg, circuit training

On days I don't work I try to do 2 sessions of cardio...one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon (my trainer says it will help speed up the metabolism)

When I feel I can I "run" a mile...my knee was hurting for a couple weeks so backed off on it, but I'm back to it.

I stretch for about 20 minutes every time I workout after a warm up. This has really been helping with my running and even the way I walk. My hip flexors are extremely tight and have been for years, but I'm working on it. My shoulders also roll forward. It has just been years of no stretching, sitting, etc.

What is the nature of the problem? As an LMT I've found that often lower back pain and stiffness is the result of tight and weak glutes.

I do have some minor lower back pain, I have a lot of pain constantly around the bottom of my ribs and pianist around my central back right by my spine(when I do certain exercises in my circuit class that work on strengthen the muscles in my central back I am always super sore so I know those muscles really need to be strengthened.) also I have pain right under the inside of my shoulder blades.

Taradawn- Your symptoms sound a lot like high levels of inflammation inside the body.

One natural way go take care of inflammation is to take high doses of Omega 3 fish oil. I take 3 g a day (about 1 TSP) to combat information from workouts every day. So far it has worked really well and I have never been side lined with inflammation due to cross fit work outs or any work puts I do at home.

If you wish a more traditional inflammation medicine, then go with ibuprofen or something like that. Everyone in my cross box takes Omega 3 to prevent inflammation that leads to pain. You would be surprised at the rib cage and back pain going away in a few days if you treat the inflammation. At one point (6 months ago), I had daily rib and back pain also.

For the central back pain, do be aware of good posture and alignments during bending exercise whether they are weight related or not. It is very important to be aware of form to prevent this spinal pain in the middle of the back (been there done that).

Taradawn- Your symptoms sound a lot like high levels of inflammation inside the body.

One natural way go take care of inflammation is to take high doses of Omega 3 fish oil. I take 3 g a day (about 1 TSP) to combat information from workouts every day. So far it has worked really well and I have never been side lined with inflammation due to cross fit work outs or any work puts I do at home.

If you wish a more traditional inflammation medicine, then go with ibuprofen or something like that. Everyone in my cross box takes Omega 3 to prevent inflammation that leads to pain. You would be surprised at the rib cage and back pain going away in a few days if you treat the inflammation. At one point (6 months ago), I had daily rib and back pain also.

For the central back pain, do be aware of good posture and alignments during bending exercise whether they are weight related or not. It is very important to be aware of form to prevent this spinal pain in the middle of the back (been there done that).

I am going out to buy some today, don't want it to get out of control and have it set me back after all my hard work. Super thankful for the advice and I will comment back in 3-4 days and let you know if I have noticed any change, I hope I do the rib pain is the worst.

I am going out to buy some today' date=' don't want it to get out of control and have it set me back after all my hard work. Super thankful for the advice and I will comment back in 3-4 days and let you know if I have noticed any change, I hope I do the rib pain is the worst.[/quote']

That is great news to hear. I can only find this supplement in 2 places: my cross fit box and online direct. I have never seen it in any store. If you find it in a store, do share. The company has a lock on the price and will not resellers sell itforany other price. The bottle I bought is 59.99 for a bottle. It lasts fora while and you will want to refrigerate it once opened. Mint and vanilla are the best flavors and you can take before drinking coffee for best way to avoid Omega 3 oiliness. I also tried chocolate, but do not care for the flavor. Apparently others do not either at my cross fit box according to me asking around.

It will take care of that rib pain after a certain number of days. Say good bye to general soreness after working out with heavy weights.

Here is some information on the condition i had(Costochondritis - not such a big seal, but annoying).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis

Does this sound like what you have? It was brought on initially by running a lot (20-25 miles a week) and later by cross fit. Crossfit puts your body through a lot. I do not have the condition any longer or at least am not symptomatic.

I do have some minor lower back pain' date=' I have a lot of pain constantly around the bottom of my ribs and pianist around my central back right by my spine(when I do certain exercises in my circuit class that work on strengthen the muscles in my central back I am always super sore so I know those muscles really need to be strengthened.) also I have pain right under the inside of my shoulder blades.[/quote']

Could also be weakness in the erector spinae. Superman extensions or "swimmers" are great for strengthening those long thin muscles. So is the deadlift and hyper extensions but those are fairly advanced moves that you should graduate to after you're out of pain.

Honestly not trying to diagnose you here but that's what has worked of me in the past.

Oh my 1st yoga stretching hatha class did this to me also ( pain in middle of spine).

Could also be weakness in the erector spinae. Superman extensions or "swimmers" are great for strengthening those long thin muscles. So is the deadlift and hyper extensions but those are fairly advanced moves that you should graduate to after you're out of pain.

Honestly not trying to diagnose you here but that's what has worked of me in the past.

Just looked up both of these exercises, I will try them. Honestly I am new to doing a lot of exercises/workouts and am super thankful for the advice and suggestions. The instructor for the circuit class after I told her about my back problems has been on top of me about really a making sure my posture is correct so hopefully that will help to. Thanks guys