Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness Plan ideas

Just looked up both of these exercises' date=' I will try them. Honestly I am new to doing a lot of exercises/workouts and am super thankful for the advice and suggestions. The instructor for the circuit class after I told her about my back problems has been on top of me about really a making sure my posture is correct so hopefully that will help to. Thanks guys[/quote']

A book you might like ( recommended to me by both my trainer and Tally, another cross fit VST member), is called supple leopard:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Supple-Leopard-Preventing-Performance/dp/1936608588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376773926&sr=8-1&keywords=supple+leopard

It is the bible on treating all those aches and pains from working out and learning about proper form on common exercises from dead lifts to kettle bell swings to Turkish get ups ( another of my favorites).

Summary :

"

Improve your athletic performance, extend your athletic career, treat body stiffness and achy joints, and rehabilitate injuries—all without having to seek out a coach, doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist, or masseur. In Becoming a Supple Leopard, Kelly Starrett—founder of MobilityWod.com—shares his revolutionary approach to mobility and maintenance of the human body and teaches you how to hack your own human movement, allowing you to live a healthy, happier, more fulfilling life.

Performance is what drives the human animal, but the human animal can be brought to an abrupt halt by dysfunctional movement patterns. Oftentimes, the factors that impede performance are invisible to not only the untrained eye, but also the majority of athletes and coaches. Becoming a Supple Leopard makes the invisible visible. In this one of a kind training manual, Starrett maps out a detailed system comprised of more than two hundred techniques and illuminates common movement errors that cause injury and rob you of speed, power, endurance, and strength. Whether you are a professional athlete, a weekend warrior, or simply someone wanting to live healthy and free from restrictions, Becoming a Supple Leopard, will teach you how to maintain your body and harness your genetic potential.

"

Highly recommended if you want to optimize your inner athlete. I am currently reading through it, but also use it as a reference to look up certain technique, flexibility guidelines or increase mobility in certain areas of body. My trainer gains her knowledge from this book. You cannot go wrong with it.

I am just over 8 months out. Normally exercise 4-5 days a week on the treadmill or recumbent bike.

Treadmill = 3.5 mph for 60 mins

Recumbent bike ~10mph for 60 mins.

I also park out far at work stores etc, walk on my breaks at work and clean at home, pool w family on weekends and generally more active...

Prior to this process I was a couch potato and no exercise. It was a chore to walk 1mph on treadmill for 20 mins so I feel like I've come a long way...

I don't ever think ill be a runner/athlete like Fiddle or Butter but I do what I can. Now that I'm officially done with school I'd like to add weights? Maybe with a trainer? I need to price that out though...

I've never been a 'strong' person so that is my next goal...to do strength training!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

A book you might like ( recommended to me by both my trainer and Tally' date=' another cross fit VST member), is called supple leopard:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Supple-Leopard-Preventing-Performance/dp/1936608588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376773926&sr=8-1&keywords=supple+leopard

Highly recommended if you want to optimize your inner athlete.[/quote']

Ooooh. Sounds interesting. I'm going to jab be to check this out. Thanks.

I am 14 months out and just 7 kilos from goal.

I travel a lot for work so it can be a struggle to maintain a regime however I strive each week to have:

3 hot yoga 90 minute sessions (usually mukti but sometimes bikram, yin, or vinyasa)

3 group fitness classes at the gym mix (body attack, body combat and pump)

Cardio as and when I can get it, usually just a mix of elliptical and treadmill, and fitting in and around group fitness classes, so if I miss a class I do a cardio session

Body attack is my favourite group fitness, I wear a heart monitor and easily burn over 700 calories in one hour sessions. Amazing stuff, lots of jumping which I never, ever thought I could do!

I recently did an acroyoga workshop. Amazing! It was a mind bender and while I was still the biggest person there I know I never. Ever could have even imagined doing this pre surgery. You probably have to youtube acroyoga to understand it, but let's just say it was a surreal experience and I did things I would not have thought myself capable of!

That has been the trick for me with exercise, a bit of a mantra I recite in my head " the mind will quit well before the body". So I remember this, when I want to quit or think I can't, it is my mind. I am learning to trust my body and ignore my mind and ego when finding my physical capabilities and limits.

I just ordered the BYOG DVD's from amazon! One thing I didn't think of..do I need the book too? or will the DVD's explain everything?

I just ordered the BYOG DVD's from amazon! One thing I didn't think of..do I need the book too? or will the DVD's explain everything?

Excellent!! I think you will enjoy these workouts. They are short, yet very effective. You do not need the book to understand the DVD workouts. Mark Lauren explains every exercise very nicely on the DVD in plain English in very simple terms. I have the book as discovered it before the DVD. It is a good resource to build new workouts with many more body weight exercises not in the DVD workouts. I enjoy the DVD workout also because of the high production values and the fact the Mark even struggles a little on the advanced workouts. :) His form is also very precise and impeccable. It was a delight to do the workouts and I am going to return to them in the future after doing some other programs. Since you have been working out awhile, you may find the novice workouts too easy and will want to go through them pretty quickly. I spent an average of 4 weeks on each level of workouts. My favorite exercises are in the advanced workout and include star jumpers, jumping lunges and bouncy push ups. Good luck and do do let me know if you ever have questions about these exercises. Happy to help!!

Body attack is my favourite group fitness' date=' I wear a heart monitor and easily burn over 700 calories in one hour sessions. Amazing stuff, lots of jumping which I never, ever thought I could do!

I recently did an acroyoga workshop. Amazing! It was a mind bender and while I was still the biggest person there I know I never. Ever could have even imagined doing this pre surgery. You probably have to youtube acroyoga to understand it, but let's just say it was a surreal experience and I did things I would not have thought myself capable of!

That has been the trick for me with exercise, a bit of a mantra I recite in my head " the mind will quit well before the body". So I remember this, when I want to quit or think I can't, it is my mind. I am learning to trust my body and ignore my mind and ego when finding my physical capabilities and limits.[/quote']

I really like that Mantra. Our bodies are capable of so much if our little doubting self talk is eliminated and replaced with positive affirmations that are aligned with greatness. Good luck on the acroyoga, hot yoga and taking your body to new levels of physical fitness.

The turkish get up looks insane Im gonna try it tomorrow at the gym

Excellent!! I think you will enjoy these workouts. They are short, yet very effective. You do not need the book to understand the DVD workouts. Mark Lauren explains every exercise very nicely on the DVD in plain English in very simple terms. I have the book as discovered it before the DVD. It is a good resource to build new workouts with many more body weight exercises not in the DVD workouts. I enjoy the DVD workout also because of the high production values and the fact the Mark even struggles a little on the advanced workouts. :) His form is also very precise and impeccable. It was a delight to do the workouts and I am going to return to them in the future after doing some other programs. Since you have been working out awhile, you may find the novice workouts too easy and will want to go through them pretty quickly. I spent an average of 4 weeks on each level of workouts. My favorite exercises are in the advanced workout and include star jumpers, jumping lunges and bouncy push ups. Good luck and do do let me know if you ever have questions about these exercises. Happy to help!!

Thanks Fiddle! I got a yoga mat too but didn't see anything else that I would need for this. It comes tomorrow, I can't wait!!!

Couch potato here, trying to be more active. Currently 6 months out. At 1week post op and through 2 months out I walked 4 days a week. At 3 months out, I began working out 2 days a week doing some type of cardio- elliptical or C25k app. Now at 6 months out, I workout 3 days a week for 1 hour with a personal trainer. I still do not enjoy exercise but realize that it is necessary if I ever want to get to goal and maintain my loss.

Couch potato here' date=' trying to be more active. Currently 6 months out. At 1week post op and through 2 months out I walked 4 days a week. At 3 months out, I began working out 2 days a week doing some type of cardio- elliptical or C25k app. Now at 6 months out, I workout 3 days a week for 1 hour with a personal trainer. I still do not enjoy exercise but realize that it is necessary if I ever want to get to goal and maintain my loss.[/quote']

One of the key learnings for me was realising most people do not like exercise, it is the rare few who genuinely enjoy it. They are out there, but they are not the majority. The rest of us endure it and approach it much like a visit to the dentist. Something you just have to do in order to take care of yourself!

What I have found though is loving the feeling I get when I finish exercising (and occasionally during exercising). Their is a sheer joy in having done it, completed a class or a work out, pushed myself past a boundary or limit, or just burned mega calories that is so totally worth it. It is the anticipation of that feeling that gets me up off the couch and out the door. Perhaps it is endorphins or dopamine or adrenalin? Whatever it is, I love that feeling of satisfaction from having exercised, even if I procrastinated my arse to the gym and moaned my way through some of the workout :-)

Once I let go of expecting to learn to love exercise, it all became a whole lot easier for me, and I found an aspect of exercising that I do love. Finishing it!

Louise - definitely the dopamine is what make exercise an addiction. Addiction can come in all shape and sizes, but one thing is certain. Stimulation of the dopamine receptors ("the reward center") is why most people exercise or workout. That is the case for me. It gives me a warm happy focused buzz energy for the whole day. :) I guess I am a weirdo because I love working out intensely every day. The day is not as good if I miss it.

The turkish get up looks insane Im gonna try it tomorrow at the gym

That one is challenging because it requires quite the strong core. I've been trying to do them for 3 workouts now at home with 10 lb weights and still am lacking the core strength the effortlessly stand up at the end of a rep. How did you do with it at the gym? Remember to use a light weight like 5-10 lb and to keep your arm straight up in the air for the whole movement.

Same is true of a full body roll. In the full body roll, you start standing up, go into a deep squat, roll onto your curved back and keep going until you are rolled back onto your shoulders with your feet almost touching the ground behind you. Now reverse the motion back to starting position. The hard part is getting onto your feet fluidly and then stand up. It requires all core strength and a strong lower back. I figure I will be able to do 15 of these in 3 weeks time in one Fluid motion without struggling at the end to stand up. This exercise sure beats standard crunches or sit-up as it is a much more functional movement.

One of the key learnings for me was realising most people do not like exercise, it is the rare few who genuinely enjoy it. They are out there, but they are not the majority. The rest of us endure it and approach it much like a visit to the dentist. Something you just have to do in order to take care of yourself!

What I have found though is loving the feeling I get when I finish exercising (and occasionally during exercising). Their is a sheer joy in having done it, completed a class or a work out, pushed myself past a boundary or limit, or just burned mega calories that is so totally worth it. It is the anticipation of that feeling that gets me up off the couch and out the door. Perhaps it is endorphins or dopamine or adrenalin? Whatever it is, I love that feeling of satisfaction from having exercised, even if I procrastinated my arse to the gym and moaned my way through some of the workout :-)

Once I let go of expecting to learn to love exercise, it all became a whole lot easier for me, and I found an aspect of exercising that I do love. Finishing it!

I LOVE to exercise...especially running! I never understood when someone told me she didn't like to exercise. I have never been into sports because I was always obese and shy when I was younger. Once I found the gym, it was a whole new world. I love stepping off the treadmill and feeling that "high". If I don't sweat profusely or feel like I am going to fall over, then I feel as if I didn't do enough.

It is extremely hard for me to find a workout partner because he or she always flakes out. I think I am addicted and I am totally okay with that.

Fiddle: If I don't workout, then I have massive amounts of chaotic energy that usually gets funneled into cleaning something...usually the car or kitchen or bathroom. mmmmm, but I'd rather workout than clean. :blink: