Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness Plan ideas

Great topic and a great way to get workout ideas. For me, I am 2 weeks post op today. I have started a walking program to build up my strength. For now, I walk on the tread mill in 10 minute intervals about 3 to 4 times a day. At work, my boss and I measured out the warehouse and 9 laps around the outside lanes of the warehouse equals just over 1 mile. Well, the first time I tried it I thought 9 laps was no big deal..lol I did it, but was worn out the rest of the day. So, The rest of the week I walked 4 laps everyday. This week I am going to add a lap and walk 5 laps. Next week 6 laps and so on. Oct 1st, I plan on starting the Couch 2 5K program. I am also looking for a bike to begin riding. I used to love riding and I am very much interested in getting back into it. I will just be glad to get my strength and stamina back up to normal, but I am not letting it slow me down.

I bought the Couch-to-5k app for $2, probably one of the most useful purchases of the year! Turns out, is is easier than it seems. I also bought a bike, haven't ridden is yet, but I will. May I suggest looking on Amazon for a bike? I got a helluva deal on a hybrid bike, it was $200 less than d**k's, d**k's being the cheapest in my area.

I was sleeved 8/8/13 and noticed there is apparently a sweet spot. For me, 1000 calories a day and 30 minutes of moderate cardio, and I will lose about a half pound a day.

It looks like you are dropping weight very fast. What's your secret weapon?

Hi guys I am only 2 weeks post op and only do around an hour an a half walking per day and 5kilo hand weights. You all seem lovely and have given me ideas on what to aim for in my exercise;-) What did you guys start out doing exercise wise after your surgery?

Walking, walking, walking . . . I was told it was crucial to my success, I though people telling me to walk when I was so sore were wrong- among other things. =) Turns out, they were right on! A few minutes a day, a few times a day for about 2 weeks made a huge difference.

I am doing c25k App 3days a week usually Tue, Thu and Sat.

Hike on Sunday with my sister for our fun exercise.

I was doing squats and lunges and arm exercises in am but need to incorporate that again, at least on off days.

I am over a year out I do cardio (elipical, spinning, swimming laps) 3-4 days week and free weights 2 days. I have added riding my bike 45-50 minutes through neighborhood. I found biking in the gym is a lot different that on street. Results are great & I just move whenever I can.

Just finished day 2 of my return to strength training after two months off post surgery (and Paris!). Yesterday was upper body, today was a combo of bosu squats, leg/calf presses, shoulder presses and tricep work.

It's a bit horrifying how much strength I've lost in a relatively short amount of time. :-(

I ate an Oh Yeah bar after the workout, thinking it would be a good mix of carbs and Protein to refuel, but within 10 minutes I started cramping up and had to dash to the bathroom. Guess I need to find something easier to digest?

Hey Sleeved In Seattle, congrats for return to gym. Take it easy, the bar was too much for your new stomach. Try Protein Drink instead. When I went back after surgery, I had to remember not to drink to fast or to much without pain. You'll figure out what works for you

*whimper* I just finished a 90-minute beginner's karate class. Which I think was about a month too soon after surgery. I'm not going to be able to move tomorrow.

Hey exercise is suppose to help us, not hurt us. If you workout to soon you're putting yourself at risk for complications. So everyone be smart get doctors clearance & start smart!! Have fun the gym is not going anywhere. Good luck

At 9 weeks I've been completely cleared for any and all workouts (and food). I just don't have my stamina back. Easing into physical activities gradually has never been one of my skills. ;-)

Starting slow but steady is the trick. I have added different stuff to find what I like. Bike riding in my neighbor is my latest. Its harder that riding in the gym, my legs are getting tighter.

13 months out. I had previously been doing zumba and turbo fire but I recently discovered zuzka on YouTube and I love her. Been doing her cardio and just got the strength training DVD set.

Sounds like you are taking care of business!! I swear by strength training. It really helps make the loose skin in arms look better.

Sounds like you are taking care of business!! I swear by strength training. It really helps make the loose skin in arms look better.

Yup - agree with that statement so much! I also think metabolic conditioning and HIIT type workouts help a lot also. Sprinting (not just the running type) is so good for your overall health.

I'm two weeks post-op today and I've been walking since I woke up in my room. When I got home (2 days post op), I could do 1/2 mile/hour on my treadmill for 5 minutes. But I did that 8-10 times a day and added a minute every day to each "workout" and then started adding speed and finally incline. I'm now doing 45 minutes at 2.5 miles/hour on "hills" two or three times a day. I work from home when I'm not on the road, so I can maintain this schedule until my next trip at the end of the month. I'm very much looking forward to being cleared for weights again. I carry a set of resistance bands because most hotel gyms are pretty limited. Thanks for creating this thread, I'm always looking for ways to add some variety.