Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Stage Surgery of Duodenal Switch Necessary for Some Sleevers

Well it sounds like minds are made up and affirmation was being sought.

Best of luck to you.

Well I haven't decided anything yet which is why I asked the question but thanks Amanda! :)

The sleeve is part one of a two part surgery. It is NOT marketed that way. If the Sleeve does not do the full job' date='

that is not because it failed or we failed, but because we are only supposed to lose enough on the Sleeve to get to a safe weight to have the DS. If some get full satisfaction, great! But those who do not, should have the second stage automatically, not as a "revision" or an additional Insurance charge for new surgery, or worse, not covering it at all. The DS has gotten a bad rep because it is more complicated and there are some who, especially eating fat and simple carbs, have bodacious poops and sharts! BUT, across the board, everyone agrees the DS is the most effective surgery and both RnY and VSG run a risk, more significant for some than others, of significant regain. I knew this going in, but had such great results in the beginning (-140#), thought the Sleeve was the BEST! It's not for Binge Eaters, Compulsive Eaters and Grazers. IMHO, many should consider what kind of eater they really are and choose accordingly![/quote']

I must disagree with the first part of this post.

The sleeve WAS the first part of the DS yes, but through the years has proven itself an effective method of weight loss on its own. It is now considered a stand alone surgery. Mind you it's been perfected in the last couple of years with things like smaller bougie (60 bougie is all but unheard of these days) making sure to eliminate all of the fundus and so forth.

It sounds like you feel like something was not told to you? Like you were deceived?

I could be wrong, but I think that most of us that did our research on the VSG surgery know its origins and know that it is considered a stand alone surgery.

Now in mrs G's case her surgeons plan was the DS so that is a totally different case in my book, because obviously the DS is still the plan of action for some surgeons and patients.

I must disagree with the first part of this post

The sleeve WAS the first part of the DS yes' date=' but through the years has proven itself an effective method of weight loss on its own. It is now considered a stand alone surgery. Mind you it's been perfected in the last couple of years with things like smaller bougie (60 bougie is all but unheard of these days) making sure to eliminate all of the fundus and so forth.

It sounds like you feel like something was not told to you? Like you were deceived?

I could be wrong, but I think that most of us that did our research on the VSG surgery know its origins and know that it is considered a stand alone surgery.

Now in mrs G's case her surgeons plan was the DS so that is a totally different case in my book, because obviously the DS is still the plan of action for some surgeons and patients.[/quote']

^She's dead on. My surgeon offers 4 surgeries. Lapband, roux-en-y, duodenal switch, and the sleeve. He will advise that down the road the switch can be added to the sleeve if needed after goal isn't reached in 18-24+ plus.

I must disagree with the first part of this post

The sleeve WAS the first part of the DS yes' date=' but through the years has proven itself an effective method of weight loss on its own. It is now considered a stand alone surgery. Mind you it's been perfected in the last couple of years with things like smaller bougie (60 bougie is all but unheard of these days) making sure to eliminate all of the fundus and so forth.

Now in mrs G's case her surgeons plan was the DS so that is a totally different case in my book, because obviously the DS is still the plan of action for some surgeons and patients.[/quote']

Exactly! When we went to seek approval from ins she suggested going for the DS because my ins covered it and she felt like it would give me options. Right after surgery she came to my room and told me they were able to do the sleeve and we would see how it goes. She said I may shed 100lbs then stop or I could get all the way to goal. No way of knowing til I got further out from surgery and to see how my progress is going. I guess I should just ask her what she thinks. I'm just thinking I should give it some more time.

Exactly! When we went to seek approval from ins she suggested going for the DS because my ins covered it and she felt like it would give me options. Right after surgery she came to my room and told me they were able to do the sleeve and we would see how it goes. She said I may shed 100lbs then stop or I could get all the way to goal. No way of knowing til I got further out from surgery and to see how my progress is going. I guess I should just ask her what she thinks. I'm just thinking I should give it some more time.

A little time is worth it! The switch is an even bigger lifestyle change! I say go with your gut ;) mine led me to WLS in the first place lol

That is a hard decision, yes. I know that for most of us the six or seventh month mark things change. I have been a slow loser since having the sleeve. But now? I fight tooth and nail to lose a few pounds a month. The most important thing to me? Don't give up, and as much as I hate to say it....don't get to comfortable.

This will be a life long battle, struggle, change,

Path, Journey, whatever you want to call it.

At the end of the day? I truly believe it is in our hands as to whether we successfully lose the weight and keep it off. no matter what surgery or surgeries we chose.

>>>If some get full satisfaction, great! But those who do not, should have the second stage automatically, not as a "revision" or an additional Insurance charge for new surgery, or worse, not covering it at all.<<<

Laura, I am having the DS, and there is nothing to disagree with...it's fact. Many do not reach a satisfactory weight with the sleeve. People are being led to believe that it is stand alone. It is for SOME. I was a model pt. I stayed below 1200

cals for three years, high Protein and supplements, exercised at LEAST 5X a week, on support lines everyday, attended OA, 3 mos follow up labs the whole time, with my GP. I lost 140# regained about 15, but now my Dr says the only way to reset my metabolism to maintain loss is to have the surgery, and he is very conservative. I was the BIGGEST Sleeve PR guy out there for three years, but it is NOT the right choice for the groups I listed. DS is the right choice for me, and anyone who is concerned about regain....

My only problem with this topic is the over generalization. If DS is right for YOU, awesome! Clearly, everyone loses differently and we all require different tools to be where we need to be to hit our healthiest weight.

To say all grazers or all bingers or all people with any other eating disorder or concerns about regaining must have the same surgery to be successful is ludicrous. Just because a stand alone VSG didn't work for you, doesn't make it the right choice for others.

I would hate for a newbie coming here to research this fantastic option to be scared off at the thought of a two part surgery when it's really not necessary. I 'm thrilled you are finding your solution, but I feel as if you are pushing your procedure on everyone.

I wish you great success!

I can't read your mind, I can only read your words and I was replying to what I understood you to be saying, not just in what I quoted, but the other posts you made in this thread as well.

Your "truth" is overgeneralization, plain and simple. Your sample audience is biased as there are thousands of patients out there that do not utilize forums, groups, etc. Many times, in the long term, the people looking for more solutions utilize these resources and those who are satisfied do not.

From what you are said, you CAN control your volume of food. You were on a strict diet of 1200 calories, you did everything right, you were the model patient, so the problem is not in your Portion Control, but somewhere else, or did I "misread" that, too?

The surgeon is in part responsible for catching any leaks. A faulty staple leak should have been easy to recognize in the post op procedures they do for leak checks. Did they catch it then? While the other complications are hugely regrettable for you' date=' they are not really caused by weight loss surgery.... What caused the blood clot?[/quote']

Excuse me, but all of the complications are related to weightless surgery. If I didn't get the sleeve I never would have been in the hospital. And no it wasn't visible, as most leaks aren't that soon post-op, because of the swelling. Unless the leak is massive, it's not detectable immediately. My surgeon was at fault for 2 things, sending me home when I was still vomiting, and sending me home the second time cold turkey. But the leak itself had absolutely nothing to do with him.