Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is having regret a normal part of this sleeve process? I was sleeved on 7/30 and i know it hasnt been that long but im dehydrated cant eat ntg because im so worried about getting liquids down. Im still not drinking enough.. im weak.. dont feel like doing ntg and im still not in the mood to get back to work.. i still feel pain when i breathe in when i lay on my right side im still uncomfortable.. i dont know what to do. Im feeling as if i made a mistake. I been trying to eat different soft foods i get nauseated all the time. Im constanly burping especially when i eat. Im taking meds for the reflux.. i hope it gets better.. i didnt imagine it would be like this. Please help!! Any advise???!!

Get some G2 Gatorade and mix it half and half with water.....It will help with hydration.....You surgery is just a couple of weeks out..Of course your going to feel terrible, tired and weak....just drink as much as you can..sip, sip, sip...It will get better I promise you!

It wasn't until the 5-6 week mark that I really felt like myself again. I still burp all of the time and have diarrhea about half of the time. But, I'm down 48 lbs and feel better than I have in a very long time. It will get better - I promise. Some of us take longer than others to recover. I know it can be confusing when you read the stories from people who seem not to be fazed or affected at all - I think that's the exception rather than the rule but I'm no expert. Hang in there and let us know in a couple weeks if you are feeling differently. :)

Thank you thats makes me feel better because i was expecting to just snap back as if ntg happened. So i am looking foward to feeling like myself again.

It wasn't until the 5-6 week mark that I really felt like myself again. I still burp all of the time and have diarrhea about half of the time. But, I'm down 48 lbs and feel better than I have in a very long time. It will get better - I promise. Some of us take longer than others to recover. I know it can be confusing when you read the stories from people who seem not to be fazed or affected at all - I think that's the exception rather than the rule but I'm no expert. Hang in there and let us know in a couple weeks if you are feeling differently. :)

It will get better..take it slow..give yourself time to heal and take this time to think about the huge accomplishment you made to be healthier..You will be fine, we all had the same thing happen to us..don't push yourself too hard, take your Vitamins, drink as much as you can, the Gatorade is awesome, lick a little salt for nausea and hang in there..you are gonna be so glad you did this..do your sugar free Jello, popsicles, refried Beans and salsa was good, devil egg salad made with yolk only..try to eat something so you'll have strength and in between just sip ur Water or gatorade..rest, rest and rest..For the pain call your doctor and see if they can give you some liquid pain meds.... :) Love ya!

I believe that whether people admit it or not everyone goes through a phase after post op where they feel they made a mistake and regret it, because the first month is so hard, your body is recovering from major surgery, and you are trying to change life long habits at the same time, in another month odds are those regrets will be totally gone. Not to give anyone a hard time but I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get your Protein and hydration in as they are what make your body heal. If you are having trouble getting liquids in try drinking hot or warm liquids as it will decrease the swelling inside. Good Luck.

I guess I am unusual. I have NEVER had any regrets at all. Even not admitting them to myself. Yes, I was tired. Yes, I did have to figure out what worked for me but I lost easily and quickly and got better pretty quickly. I think it is truly a "state of mind." Life will never be the same after having the sleeve but truly for me, it was life changing. Three years out now and still would do it again tomorrow! Good luck to all!

Hang in there. I am going on 7 weeks post op and I still struggle with what I chose to do. I appreciate the positive aspects of my journey, but I still struggle with keeping liquids and food down and figuring out what I should eat daily. I heard everyone around me talk about how great their sleeve experience was and just assumed that my experience would be similar. However that was not the case for me. I regret that had had to do this to loose the weight, however I appreciate the tool offered to me. It will get better, and you will feel better as the weeks pass. Continue to focus on learning to get those fluids and Protein in. Take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal. Measure your progress by how you feel week to week. Don't compare yourself to others. I have to remind myself that I am unique and so is my journey. Same for you. You will feel better over time, but keep communicating with others about your feelings(it helps). Best of luck.

Hi everybody.. I'm glad I have come across this thread, for I am too, very regretful of having the surgery and am in a very dark place right now. Most of my regret is due to the doubts I had about the surgery prior and up until that very day. I'm so upset with myself for going through with it even though I wasn't completely sure. I wish I could take it back and listened to myself, but now it's too late. I feel like I made the worst mistake of my life. I'm sorry for being so negative, but I truly am in desperation and was hoping someone out there could tell me that these feelings will pass and it will get better.

I would appreciate any help, thank you

I wish i could tell you it will pass but im too going through the same thing. How long has it been since u been sleeved?

Hi everybody.. I'm glad I have come across this thread, for I am too, very regretful of having the surgery and am in a very dark place right now. Most of my regret is due to the doubts I had about the surgery prior and up until that very day. I'm so upset with myself for going through with it even though I wasn't completely sure. I wish I could take it back and listened to myself, but now it's too late. I feel like I made the worst mistake of my life. I'm sorry for being so negative, but I truly am in desperation and was hoping someone out there could tell me that these feelings will pass and it will get better.

I would appreciate any help, thank you

This is when it is important to focus on exactly why you did this. It is a life change and it is not easy. But was your old life? (easy) If your life before the sleeve was working for you why did you turn to WLS? Remember what it was that brought you here. Healing is a hard road to go down, and as it has been said everyone heals differently. But as your body heals allow your mind and soul time to heal too. Try to think of the things you will be able to do, once your body has become healthy. Make yourself a deal to do something you have always wanted to do, but your weight kept you from it. Give yourself something to look forward to. I think it is possible to have so much anticipation for the surgery that after can be a little "anti climatic". It is work. But just remember this time your hard work WILL pay off! I hope you all feel better soon and begin to enjoy the new life you have given yourself...

Don't work it gets better the first few weeks are tough I am 6mths out and have lost 88Ib and couldn't be happier. Just push through this rough time it's worth it in the long run. :D

My advice is stayREALLY connected to VSGorother support groups. Takea deep breath, realize that you did this for a good reason evidently, you weren't successful at losing and keeping it off like the rest of us. You might also be grieving. I know that sounds funny but its the loss of what WAS. food as a source of happiness. Food as our "go to!" The physical part will get better and you will seethe good in your decision. Hang in! Good things ahead!

I didn't experience regret either - but a lot of that was because I knew what to expect and knew I would feel tired and awful and I did. The first 4-6 weeks were really unpleasant for me and i felt sorta blue, very tired, very blah. Each stage, going back to soft foods, then real foods, were a big challenge. I had to view it like the process that it was, but i luckily had support of a nutritionalist and follow up from my surgeon - which I leaned on when needed.

Don't be shy about getting IV fluids if you get dehydrated.

Try to keep your eye on the prize and remind yourself why you did this.

Maybe go through the "before and after" threads to look at inspirational pictures.

I promise, it does get better.

Regrets are normal. And if you don't have them, you're the exception.

Second-guessing yourself is normal.

The thing to remember is that it's not something you can go back and change. So rather than dwelling on what you coulda-woulda-shoulda, focus on why you did it, and what your goals are. What are you hoping to be able to do as you lose the weight and get healthier? Short term and long term goals. Have that "before" picture of yourself handy. Take your measurements. Have your blood work results. Find measurable ways (not just the scale) to track your progress. And reward the small victories.

(Can you tell that I've had to get past the regrets? It's been a real challenge with the change in eating and the timing requirements when I have plant trials at work - I'm an engineer - and I question what I was thinking. But since I can't change it, I just go with it. Most days. On the other days, I read this page, a lot. And reach out to the people in my local support group.)

Kathy