Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting data on protein and yoyo dieting

Q: I'm the queen of yo-yo dieting, and I'm afraid that I've ruined my metabolism because of all my ups and downs. Is there hope for me? A: According to a number of studies published in respected journals, your yo-yoing ways have not "ruined" your metabolism. However, all those ups and downs may have changed your body composition in a way that makes it harder for you to lose at each successive cycle. That's because when you drop weight, you lose both fat and muscle, but when you regain weight, you gain back proportionally more fat. That's unfortunate because, pound for pound, muscle burns more calories than fat. The best way to maintain your valuable muscle mass is to strength train two to three days per week. Also, make sure you're getting enough lean Protein. You can achieve this by consuming at least half your body weight in grams of protein. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, eat no less than 75 grams of protein per day. Best bets are skinless chicken and turkey, seafood, low-fat dairy foods, egg whites, Beans, tofu, and edamame.

That is interesting. I did see a study that said yoyo dieting does not affect metabolism.

Lynda

That is interesting. I did see a study that said yoyo dieting does not affect metabolism.

Lynda

It's not the yoyo dieting, but the muscle loss from dieting and fat regain. The main article assumes someone is following that pattern of losing muscle and fat through extreme calorie restriction then regaining only fat. Of course, that is quite common. Overtime less muscle equals lower metabolism. But it's easily reversible by adding muscle through strength training.

I think that the reality of it is that the change in muscle mass happens due to the lose/regain cycle but also other factors like getting older, being sedentary etc. It is also influenced by your basic metabolism/genetics. I believe (okay, I want to believe!) that I can influence this by lifestyle choices - staying active, eating alot of Protein and moderate carbs etc. and that I am not destined to regain. Even so, I will always always always be a person prone to regain, I have a metabolic disorder (obesity) and just like anybody else with a chronic condition I have to constantly manage it and stay on top of it or I will become overweight/obese again.

I have a friend who is just a few years older then me and he is having a hell of a time keeping weight ON. He is really skinny and his genetics are such that he gets sick and he loses weight and fights for months to just regain like 5-10 pounds. It is hard sometimes for me to wrap my brain around it. He was always an athlete and used to intentionally change weights depending on the sport (thinner for track and field, gain weight for football season for example). As he has aged he is having a heck of a time doing the regain part just like most of us can't do the "lose it" very easily he is finding he can't do the "gain it" very easily anymore. It is quite a puzzle.

I try to be sympathetic because it sucks to have to struggle to maintain a healthy weight... and while I am being supportive, I console myself with the knowledge that I will be fine should we face a famine. :)

I have read articles about yo yo diets ruining our metabolism and articles that dispute that. Muscle does burn fat as stated. I do know that I do not want to yo yo diet anymore, I'm so tired of it. I want a healthy eating style/habits that will help me maintain where I'm at today. i know that I need to exercise to get things moving. So I'm going to go get dressed and take a walk in the park. :P

Edamame is just Japanese for soy' date=' those are just soybeans you are eating, not an option for some of us.[/quote']

Yes and did you know goofball me didn't even know that til like a year ago! Lol

I have read articles about yo yo diets ruining our metabolism and articles that dispute that. Muscle does burn fat as stated. I do know that I do not want to yo yo diet anymore, I'm so tired of it. I want a healthy eating style/habits that will help me maintain where I'm at today. i know that I need to exercise to get things moving. So I'm going to go get dressed and take a walk in the park. :P

I'm with you! I'm working on an eating plan that leaves me in my new, smaller goal weight range. My previous range was too big and I was hitting the top and dieting back down. I'm closing in on that eating plan now.

Lynda

I eat Protein first almost every time I eat. It has become a habit now and I don't even think about it! Only on occasion will I eat carbs alone. I always always always have protein with it. My goodness, I think I've only eaten carbs alone 2 or 3 times for 18 months at birthday parties. I really feel like that works very well for me in maintenance to keep my protein numbers high. Muscle mass DEFINITELY helps. I work out pretty consistently and weight training IS a part of it. Even if I'm having a "lazy day" I will still do push ups and squats and lunges and tricep dips and stuff like that.

I really miss weight training when I don't do it. I just feel like such a slug when I am not working my muscles these days.

I'm with you! I'm working on an eating plan that leaves me in my new' date=' smaller goal weight range. My previous range was too big and I was hitting the top and dieting back down. I'm closing in on that eating plan now.

Lynda[/quote']

When u figure it out, share! I like your style