Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I just need to get this off my chest

First off, this group has been a bit of a god send. With the exception of my therapist and a handful of other people no one knows I am preparing to undergo WLS. At least this is a safe place for me to talk about things as they happen. Normally I go to friends and family to ask for support and prayers. However, because of the private nature of my decision, I am asking this group for this instead.

Here is what has been going on. At the beginning of this month I was given official notice from my job that I would be furloughed requiring me to take a 20% pay cut along with a separation notice informing me that my last day at work would be 30 Sept. I am not scheduled for surgery until sometime in Oct/Nov. Thankfully I will be able to maintain my insurance for a year at the cost of my regular contribution. I am fortunate. Here is where things get a little messy. I am interviewing for a new position that I am very excited about. I find myself getting very anxious over the idea of not being able to get my surgery done because of having this new job ad not having the sick leave available. Yet I am not in a position to turn the job down.

So far I feel I have been very blessed. What I ask from whoever feels so inclined is to please say a quick prayer or send some positive energy my direction. That hopeful the time line for this surgery and a new job will align with no complications so that I will be able to start my new life with a great job and a healthy new beginning.

Thanks for giving me a moment to get that all off my chest.

Brighteyes,

Aww, I will definitely be praying for you and I know that it's going to line up perfect for you. Take it to God and leave it at the altar, it's already worked out; just trust and believe.

I'm going to go for surgery in October; where are you having your surgery and what doctor.

It will all work out. Can't you tell your new job you're not able to start for an extra week because you have a family emergency or personal business?

Most people recover very quickly and are able to return to work right away.

It will all work out. Can't you tell your new job you're not able to start for an extra week because you have a family emergency or personal business?

I know that when I started a new job I had already had a vacation planned with plane tickets etc and I was very up front about it asking if it would be an issue. They had no issue with it and it didn't even matter about not having enough vacation time accrued yet. Maybe you will be blessed with this same scenario. Wish you the best of luck!

Brighteyes' date='

Aww, I will definitely be praying for you and I know that it's going to line up perfect for you. Take it to God and leave it at the altar, it's already worked out; just trust and believe.

I'm going to go for surgery in October; where are you having your surgery and what doctor.[/quote']

Thanks :-). I will be having surgery in Nashville at St Thomas in Midtown with Dr Spaw. God has led me to all the right people for this journey; from finding my therapist, to having an extremely compassionate surgeon, and a great hospital. What about you?

I'm over a year out of surgery. This was the easiest surgery I've ever had. I was back to work in a week. There's just a few things to remember like how much you can pick up. I think it's 20lbs not sure. You just take your food to work and go for it. Soups are wonderful to take. You have a lot of things going for you. Hopefully you will be as surprised as I was by feeling so good. You got this!! Praying.....

I don't have an official job offer yet, so I am choosing not to disclose any of this to them until I do. I am slightly worried about doing surgery and then immediately going back to work because the job will require me to travel a lot. I am just not sure how much I can expect to put my body through at first.

Thanks :-). I will be having surgery in Nashville at St Thomas in Midtown with Dr Spaw. God has led me to all the right people for this journey; from finding my therapist, to having an extremely compassionate surgeon, and a great hospital. What about you?

I'm scheduled to have mine with Dr. Fernando Garcia in TJ Mex. ; I will be going alone; because I'm having to be private about my procedure. I'm sure they will have other people that will go alone also.

Is there any way to move up your surgery date? While some people are able to bounce back within days following surgery others may not feel well for weeks. I would give yourself as much cushion as possible, so that you set yourself up to be successful!

If your surgery was essential for another reason - such as planned gall bladder removal because of a "grumbling" GB - your new employer would almost certainly be fine with that. Perhaps even pleased to hear you take preventative health care seriously. More chance you'll be a healthy, happy and productive employee.

Why not put it to them that way... they don't need know what the op is, only that it's health related and as you're in good condition going in to the op you expect to bounce back relatively easily. You will probably need to take leave-without-pay, but at least you won't have to wait for your op. Good luck.

I have a similar situation. I was planning on my surgery, but I had not set a date yet. Then out of the blue, a good friend referred me for a position and I got the job. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I explained to my supervisor during my first week of work that I had made previous plans to take a trip and asked if it would be a problem if I took off the Friday before Labor Day. My supervisor assured me that that was not a problem. So I scheduled my surgery for that weekend. I will be having my surgery on that Friday and return back to work on the following Tuesday. I know I will be tired and I will have to watch my lifting. I plan on doing what ever I need to do to make this surgery a success. You can work this out, even if you have to take some time off of your current job to get it done. Good luck and I will be sending prayers and positive energy your way!!

Is there any way to move up your surgery date? While some people are able to bounce back within days following surgery others may not feel well for weeks. I would give yourself as much cushion as possible' date=' so that you set yourself up to be successful![/quote']

No, I can't move up the date because of surgery requirements. When I had gallbladder surgery last year I bounced back a lot sooner than I expected. I am hoping the same will be true with this surgery. I guess more of my anxiety comes from incorporating all the life changes.

Thanks everyone who has offered some perspective and prayers. The more I think through this the more I am convinced that once I have a job offer it should be no issue to take the leave I need to get the surgery done. My severance package from work will cover any time I have to take off if I have to take leave without pay.

Without being all "holy roller-ish," I will tell you that, in my experience, God handles these things. Most of the stuff I worry and obsess over turn out just fine if I pray about it and truly turn it over to my higher power. I am confident that your situation will work out just perfectly. Try not to worry!

First off, this group has been a bit of a god send. With the exception of my therapist and a handful of other people no one knows I am preparing to undergo WLS. At least this is a safe place for me to talk about things as they happen. Normally I go to friends and family to ask for support and prayers. However, because of the private nature of my decision, I am asking this group for this instead.

Here is what has been going on. At the beginning of this month I was given official notice from my job that I would be furloughed requiring me to take a 20% pay cut along with a separation notice informing me that my last day at work would be 30 Sept. I am not scheduled for surgery until sometime in Oct/Nov. Thankfully I will be able to maintain my insurance for a year at the cost of my regular contribution. I am fortunate. Here is where things get a little messy. I am interviewing for a new position that I am very excited about. I find myself getting very anxious over the idea of not being able to get my surgery done because of having this new job ad not having the sick leave available. Yet I am not in a position to turn the job down.

So far I feel I have been very blessed. What I ask from whoever feels so inclined is to please say a quick prayer or send some positive energy my direction. That hopeful the time line for this surgery and a new job will align with no complications so that I will be able to start my new life with a great job and a healthy new beginning.

Thanks for giving me a moment to get that all off my chest.

Hi, I have been lurking around here - but I created an account just so I could respond to you.

I have been an HR Manager for a long time - trust me when I say if they want you, they will make compromises for you. We do it all the time!

Don't say anything to them just yet. Wait until they make you an offer. If they do, tell the HR person that your want to come in and speak to them before signing the offer letter. At that point let them know that you have a surgery scheduled and that you will need X time off. We let people off for pre planned vacations, weddings, school - a pre scheduled surgery is a no brainer. I am sure the HR person will not even hesitate.

As for insurance - the new company probably won't even kick in for 90 days or so. If that is the case then no problem, continue with your current and then pick up the new after the surgery. If the new company does offer insurance right away, find out when their open enrollment is - if it is not far off - again continue your current to pay for the surgery and then pick up the new at open enrollment.

Don't stress about this - this kind of thing happens all the time. The HR person will work with you.