Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I just need to get this off my chest

Recently my best friend (who'd been laid off her web designer job over 2 yrs ago and was working as a hair stylist) got a new job in the tech business. She was worried about the same thing. a month after being hired, she was scheduled for laser kidney stone removal (only 2 days off, but still). She was honest with them up front cuz she thought she may get in trouble later if it was thought she was hiding it and they told her no problem. She could have off as much time as needed.

Good luck!

I have a similar situation. I was planning on my surgery' date=' but I had not set a date yet. Then out of the blue, a good friend referred me for a position and I got the job. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I explained to my supervisor during my first week of work that I had made previous plans to take a trip and asked if it would be a problem if I took off the Friday before Labor Day. My supervisor assured me that that was not a problem. So I scheduled my surgery for that weekend. I will be having my surgery on that Friday and return back to work on the following Tuesday. I know I will be tired and I will have to watch my lifting. I plan on doing what ever I need to do to make this surgery a success. You can work this out, even if you have to take some time off of your current job to get it done. Good luck and I will be sending prayers and positive energy your way!![/quote']

Your surgery date is coming up soon. Best of luck to you. You will have to let me know how things work out going back to work.

It will work out. I would also call your surgeon's office and tell them if there is cancelation to give you a call.

Hi' date=' I have been lurking around here - but I created an account just so I could respond to you.

I have been an HR Manager for a long time - trust me when I say if they want you, they will make compromises for you. We do it all the time!

Don't say anything to them just yet. Wait until they make you an offer. If they do, tell the HR person that your want to come in and speak to them before signing the offer letter. At that point let them know that you have a surgery scheduled and that you will need X time off. We let people off for pre planned vacations, weddings, school - a pre scheduled surgery is a no brainer. I am sure the HR person will not even hesitate.

As for insurance - the new company probably won't even kick in for 90 days or so. If that is the case then no problem, continue with your current and then pick up the new after the surgery. If the new company does offer insurance right away, find out when their open enrollment is - if it is not far off - again continue your current to pay for the surgery and then pick up the new at open enrollment.

Don't stress about this - this kind of thing happens all the time. The HR person will work with you.[/quote']

Thanks for responding to this. I hadn't even thought about the insurance part of things just yet. But I will certainly take your advice. Thanks again.