Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out and I can't stop eating!

Hi all! I have surgery scheduled for Aug. 22 and I feel like I'm preparing for the electric chair. I have to start my pre-op diet one week before (on Aug 15). In the meantime, I feel like I can't quit eating. It's silly because I know from everyone on here that I WILL be able to eat my favorite foods again. I also know that this is just more weight that I will have to lose once I have my sleeve. All of that said, I feel out of control. Anyone else feel like this? Any words of wisdom? The only solution I can think of is to start my pre-op diet now/soon.

I did the same thing, eating everything I love, no limits. I am not doing that now that my surgery is this Saturday. Enjoy yourself since you won't be able to eat those quantities again. My sister pigged out on ice cream and sweets before she had to do the pre-op diet. I think just about everyone does this even though they might not admit to it. Debbie

I think what you are feeling is pretty normal. Maybe start out a bit slower, there will be things you can't eat for awhile but eventually you should be able to eat most anything.

Perhaps now would be a good time to eliminate carbonation and caffeine? Once you get past that continue with some other things. One thing I really wanted after surgery as I was restricted was a nice salad. If that is something you love make up some great salads or whatever it is you think you might crave. You get my point. One of the best things you can do is get all the sugar and processed flour stuff out of your system, that will be the hardest thing but once you do, you will be glad you did.

Good luck, you will do great! The emotions can get the best of us sometimes though!

I am feeling the same way too and i have 6 weeks to go. I am working to keep my carbs down and Protein high but I feel like I am starving constantly. I hate it. I hope I am lucky in that I stop feeling hunger after my surgery.

I will admit doing the same thing. Do I advise it? No I sure don't. I put on 8 lbs that is now just more to deal with Grrr! I knew that when I was doing it but did it anyway so I deserve what I got.

Hi all! I have surgery scheduled for Aug. 22 and I feel like I'm preparing for the electric chair. I have to start my pre-op diet one week before (on Aug 15). In the meantime, I feel like I can't quit eating. It's silly because I know from everyone on here that I WILL be able to eat my favorite foods again. I also know that this is just more weight that I will have to lose once I have my sleeve. All of that said, I feel out of control. Anyone else feel like this? Any words of wisdom? The only solution I can think of is to start my pre-op diet now/soon.

Hey there:

You'll get a lot of answers to this one.. I will respectfully disagree with Travelbug, I know there are a bunch of folks that adopt this option, but at least an equal amount that don't. I was in the second group. No judgements, to each his own on this one. Just giving another persepctive.

Once I made the decision to move forward with surgery, I took a hard line. joined weight watchers (again) and vowed to do my best. During the lead time to surgery I was able to lose 55 pounds. I felt I owed it to myself to do all I could (granted I had a long way to go). This surgery for me was a last resort after 30+ years of never ending dieting. food controlled me for a long time. I didn't want my decisions taken from me because of surgery. Don't get me wrong, I am beyond thrilled that my restriction is firmly in place and doing its job. I made my peace with my eating /overeating issue before surgery and for me that was a huge help. I never once have felt I "Can't" have something, I'm making the best decisions I can. Not to say I don't struggle at times, but pre-op was my chance to tackle so many of the issues that have plagued me.

There is a thread on here http://www.verticals...an-opportunity/ It's a great read.

I wish you all the best with your pre-op, surgery and recovery!

You know the food funeral thing is a tough one..

When I knew I had a date I went to the store before my pre op and picked up a pint of some kind of ice cream (can't even remember the flavor how sad) went home and ate half of it that night and finished it the next day.. After I ate it?? Nothing, it was just gone it didn't feel special it didn't make me feel better, in fact it did nothing for me except make me feel crappier about myself... Fast forward to today, I can eat normal again so if I wanted a bit of ice cream I could.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't sabotage yourself with thoughts of "I need to eat this now because I can never have it again"

I was out of control and gained 10lbs.. Maybe I would be at goal now if I wasn't so careless .. Grrr ;)

I called it my "last meals tour" in May. I tried to fit in all my favorite meals before surgery. I've been off carbs & sugar since June 4th so I find it easier now to use my meals as nutritional intake opportunities. The mini stomach helps of course.

Protein first. Lots of liquids, then if I have room left for a craving I get a sugar free snowball or no sugar added frozen yogurt.

I didn't have time to do that. By the time I got figured out who was to do my surgery, I had 2 weeks until. For those 2 weeks, the first week cut out carbonated drinks, chewed my food to a paste (took so long to eat I got bored half way through and quit), the 2nd was pure liquid...lost 14 pounds those 2 weeks...then off to surgery. It's been 2 months, down close to 45 pounds. I'm still weary about raw veggies, but everything else is good...in very small moderation. Remember the first bite is always the best.

It's really not the best thing for you, its just adding more weight on that you have to lose afterwards. You have to put yourself in control of your body before your surgery because once surgery is over you have to have the diet and nutrition plan and exercise all planned out so that you know what you are going to do to improve yourself. You will be able to eat most of your favorite foods if they are still your favorites after surgery. Surgery will surprise you and does more than just help you lose weight, it will change some of your taste buds as well and some things you love now, you won't be able to stand the taste of after surgery. Its a challenge, but you have made the decision to change your lifestyle so it is a chance that you are risking to take. Good luck and I hope you are able to find a way to stop. One idea I can give, is start doing now what you are going to do when you want that food after surgery. You have to have something to fall back on other than food before surgery or you will have a very difficult time coming out of surgery!! Good luck

Hi all! I have surgery scheduled for Aug. 22 and I feel like I'm preparing for the electric chair. I have to start my pre-op diet one week before (on Aug 15). In the meantime' date=' I feel like I can't quit eating. It's silly because I know from everyone on here that I WILL be able to eat my favorite foods again. I also know that this is just more weight that I will have to lose once I have my sleeve. All of that said, I feel out of control. Anyone else feel like this? Any words of wisdom? The only solution I can think of is to start my pre-op diet now/soon.[/quote']

What you have here is the classic "my head knows what I should do, so why am I not doing it?" And that is because the emotional side of all of this is deep within us and is an inter tangled mess of thoughts and feelings. Even though you know that you aren't saying goodbye to your favorite foods forever, you are saying goodbye to the way you've "used" food, and that is where the panicked, "get it while the gettin's good" response is coming from.

It is quite common, and your thought of starting the pre-op diet early is good, but just be prepared for that pesky emotional devil to sneak into your thoughts with things like "it is okay, have the [insert whatever food you want here], you chose to start the pre-op diet early, so it isn't really cheating"

This is tough, by the time I got my surgery date I was still losing (slowly) on my own for about 6 months due to the long wait for an apt. During that time there were many opptys to pig out. But I was so determined to break my food cycle, that I didn't get my faves: kit-kat, brownies, etc.

Instead, once I had a date the hubby and I hung out in the city and when I had to eat, I ate a small low carb meal. I made up my mind that I wouldn't use food as my emotional crutch. It WAS TOUGH.

What you're doing is absolutely popular and in most cases normal...but if you can find another way to Celebrate your surgery and mourn food now, it may be a lot easier on you post-op. There are lots of us who had to mourn our relationships with food. Start now!

Don't move your starting line back even further from the finish line. You'll feel so much better come surgery day if you can stop now and keep up with your clean eating. Good luck to you!

Hello,

My doctor put me on a pre-op diet of Protein shakes before my surgery of Aug. 14th. I started the diet on Sat. July 27th and today I went to Wendy’s for my favorite hamburger. I can’t believe I did that. I have been trying to be good and I hope I didn’t ruin my system. I have read through the forum and some doctors put their patience’s on a pre-op diet one week before. Does anybody think I should extend my date since I had hamburgers today?

I can surely relate with wanting to eat everything :)

My doctor only put me on meat, and veggies only diet a week before. I go on 8/6, I am craving bread, and sweets. I know this is all in my head. I keep thinking positive thoughts, you will be fine. I was kind of worried, I read others on shakes before, my doctor does not do that, makes me a lil worried.