Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all...I am two weeks post op and some times during the day I just want to cry. I haven't really had a good cry, just weepy. Not sure why. Also, my sister-in-law came over and gave me a box of chocolates for when I "reach the solids stage". Really? I was upset at first, but now just want to laugh. I was wacky the entire time they were over.

Let me know if there is anything that helps. I found a walk helped that day.

My hormones and emotions were a bit "enhanced" the first month too. I've heard that hormones are stored in fat cells and as we lose weight the body gets flooded with hormones. I was goofy or crying WAY more than normal, but it's tapered off (I'm 8 weeks post-surgery).

I recall being a bit teary eyed as well, your body is going thru a huge change.....it will get better and before long you will be jumping up and down with excitement about your weight loss! That was pretty insensitive of your sister in law....I would be having a little chat with her! You are doing great! Keep up the good work!

Please don't take offense to my question but is your sister in law ignorant or mean? I'm sorry but for an adult to bring chocolates to a new bariatric patient she must be one or the other in the extreme. Unless she's a dunce it sounds like cruelty, sabotage or both to me. I would be looking at her in the distance for along time if it were me.

I am where you are. I haven't been emotional yet but i hear that most are at this time. Walking will help as you've already learned. What really makes me feel good is really upbeat music while walking. Personally I love oldies for that. Just know that it will pass and when it does you when unveil a much more awesome and healthy you. Then hand those chocolates back.

I am two-weeks post op too. This is a lot to go through; major surgery, and a major lifestyle change. food is what we've used to cope with emotions before, but now all of a sudden we can't. It's normal (I think) to feel a bit weird with all these things going on in our bodies! Plus, I know in the past when I've gone on low-carb diets, I've felt really down...carbs do boost the happy chemicals in our brains, after all. So who knows? Just don't be too hard on yourself, and keep doing things like the walk you found to help. :)

Chocolates are a strange choice of gifts...could it be she's trying to sabotage??

I was really emotional at week 2 as well. But it didn't last long for me at all. I agree with Ballermom, tell your sister in law to eat it herself. Better yet, keep it just for her future visits. Each time she visits, offer her a piece until she eats the entire box. That will show her who has control. Lol.....

Walking is go. Good Luck & hang in there.

Thanks for your responses. I will keep up the walking.

I think the box of chocolates is a sign of how my family feels about the surgery,,,,which is essentially nothing. They have not thought about it or offered any support. It is of no consequence to them. They all came over to my house with my mom to go out for a big birthday dinner while I ate broth...then brought two cakes back to my house and sat there and ate while I was in my chair, away from the table, in pain. No cards, no phone calls...they even just showed up that day without calling me to tell me what time they were coming.

Thanks for validating that it is not "just me"...now you know why I need this board! God bless my in-laws, friends and internet friends. I will just take a walk when the tears come back.

Terry

I am post menopause (57) and haven't had any emotional issues to date. Maybe because my hormones have already done their thing! Hang in there - and if you feel like crying - do it!

I am post menopause (57) and haven't had any emotional issues to date. Maybe because my hormones have already done their thing! Hang in there - and if you feel like crying - do it!

I think you might be right. I had a complete hysterectomy in my 30's i think i cried or screamed out every hormone I had in the next 10-15 years. I've got nothing left.

I wasn't emotional, but if someone gave me chocolates I would have gone postal and threw them in the trash in front of them. Seriously? What was she thinking? So rude and thoughtless.

Thanks for your responses. I will keep up the walking.

I think the box of chocolates is a sign of how my family feels about the surgery,,,,which is essentially nothing. They have not thought about it or offered any support. It is of no consequence to them. They all came over to my house with my mom to go out for a big birthday dinner while I ate broth...then brought two cakes back to my house and sat there and ate while I was in my chair, away from the table, in pain. No cards, no phone calls...they even just showed up that day without calling me to tell me what time they were coming.

Thanks for validating that it is not "just me"...now you know why I need this board! God bless my in-laws, friends and internet friends. I will just take a walk when the tears come back.

Terry

Wow, sounds about as sensitive as my in-laws! LOL So sorry you had to go through that. I'd just toss the chocolates and move on. It's usually difficult for people this insensitive to grasp that what they're doing is not okay.

Sorry about ur situation but u r doing this for u so u don't need anyone elses approval - and u will get there, with or without ur family's help, because u have support of everyone else, including all of us :-) Give urself permission to be weepy, it's a physical reaction due to all the changes ur body is going thru.

Sometimes people just don't get what has actually happened to us. My friend, who is neither mean nor stupid, turned up to see me a week post op with a box of chocs and a box of sugar frosted fruits! As she handed me them, before I could say a word, I could see by her face that she just hadn't thought until that moment. She explained that these were her default gifts for visiting sick people and she was sooooo embarrassed but I laughed as I appreciated the sentiment behind the gift. I gave them away to the next visitors who came by...

How we react to negative situations is up to us. Just dont waste ur time on people who don't care enough to deserve to have a say in ur life. Good luck!

I am two weeks out as well and I was weepy last weekend. I feel better now and I have heard it is normal. Hope you feel better soon!

I like your list in your signature line! Thanks.