Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about Quality of Life PostOp

Last Friday, one week ago, I was approved and my surgery is next Friday. This thread was a lot of encouragement and I read it regularly. I do t have any serious preop diet so I am o. A farewell to food tour, not binge eating, but eating things I like. I don't nor yay drink cokes, but I am this weekend when I go out to eat.

Last Friday, one week ago, I was approved and my surgery is next Friday. This thread was a lot of encouragement and I read it regularly. I do t have any serious preop diet so I am o. A farewell to food tour, not binge eating, but eating things I like. I don't nor yay drink cokes, but I am this weekend when I go out to eat.

Congrats on your approval! Oct is a good month to be sleeved. ;)

Remember the "farewell" is not forever. You can and will eventually be able to eat anything (not at first!!!) but eventually there will most likely be NOTHING that you can't eat. There will be a lot of things you SHOULDN'T eat. The one thing that is permanent for me (yay sleeve) is the AMOUNT of food I can eat at one sitting. I will never be able to eat an 8, 10, 12 oz steak again at once (that would make several meals for me) so the quantity is permanent. I know of one post-op who is almost 2 years out and he *still* gets frustrated because he can't eat as many wings as he would like to.

Definitely don't go crazy/overboard right now.

Oh and one thing I haven't touched in over 3 years is anything with carbonation. Never. I gave it up the same day I joined this board over 3 years ago...Sept. 20th, 2010 was my last diet coke. Don't ever miss them!!

I did it. Yesterday I was sleeved. It was a tough day/night, but I made it. Around 5:30 I took some anti nausea meds and started feeling so much better. I left the hospital and went to watch a little of my sons football game then went home and took a nap.

I am currently running a low grade feaver. It may be from the flu shot they gave me in the hospital, at least that is what I am hoping.

Yay - you did it! Congratulations! Now let's hope that fever gets kicked to the curb!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Best of luck to you!! New and exciting things to come! Can't believe I've lost 19 pounds since October 2! Yippeee! Off and running.

It is not uncommon to run a low grade fever after surgery - it is because of the anesthesia. Just rest and take good care of yourself, and it will resolve on its own.

my quality of life was deteroriating when i was so heavy.

I reached the point where i realized the "food" wasnt living..... you know what I mean?

first week, even first year - i definately had to eat different. hell, i have to eat differently now or i would regain to 300# again. quality of life is about a million times better. I can eat at restaurants, I go to parties, I go dancing, I LIVE.... I just dont over eat.

So, if a person defnes quality of life a overeating, yes, that might be a problem. If quality of life means LIVING and eating to stay healthy... no problemo!!!!

Last Friday' date=' one week ago, I was approved and my surgery is next Friday. This thread was a lot of encouragement and I read it regularly. I do t have any serious preop diet so I am o. A farewell to food tour, not binge eating, but eating things I like. I don't nor yay drink cokes, but I am this weekend when I go out to eat.[/quote']

Russ, how is your progress now since your surgery? Excited to hear!

Russ' date=' how is your progress now since your surgery? Excited to hear![/quote']

Friday, Surgery day, was rough, but I made it. The hardest part was trying to drink Water and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't keep it down. Turns out it was nausea, but it didn't feel like normal nausea or like I was going to throw up. Sat morning around 6 AM I asked for nausea medicine and have been a successful drinker since then. I was discharged Saturday around 10:30 and felt so good that I went to 1/2 of my sons football game.

Yesterday I had 1-12pz Protein shake and 40-50 oz of Water.

The gas pains are intense and my fat stomach looks bloated. I told my wife she could rub it and it would bring her good luck (like Buddha), but she would not. I have been walking a lot and today, Sunday, the gas is starting to dissipate

Dr sent a piece of my liver to get a biopsy. The dr said I have fatty liver disease that may reverse with weight loss and less booze. He also said more than likely, no one would have caught it until it was too late. It would would have caused big problems in 5-10 years.

I don't feel like I had major surgery and my mind is clear. I have not ate since Thursday 10/30 AM and I am not hungry. Sitting watching my family eat last night was a little strange and I wanted to eat something because I was bored. Head hunger?

Friday' date=' Surgery day, was rough, but I made it. The hardest part was trying to drink Water and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't keep it down. Turns out it was nausea, but it didn't feel like normal nausea or like I was going to throw up. Sat morning around 6 AM I asked for nausea medicine and have been a successful drinker since then. I was discharged Saturday around 10:30 and felt so good that I went to 1/2 of my sons football game. Yesterday I had 1-12pz Protein shake and 40-50 oz of Water. The gas pains are intense and my fat stomach looks bloated. I told my wife she could rub it and it would bring her good luck (like Buddha), but she would not. I have been walking a lot and today, Sunday, the gas is starting to dissipate Dr sent a piece of my liver to get a biopsy. The dr said I have fatty liver disease that may reverse with weight loss and less booze. He also said more than likely, no one would have caught it until it was too late. It would would have caused big problems in 5-10 years. I don't feel like I had major surgery and my mind is clear. I have not ate since Thursday 10/30 AM and I am not hungry. Sitting watching my family eat last night was a little strange and I wanted to eat something because I was bored. Head hunger?[/quote']

Hey, Russ

Congratulations on the surgery. And by the sounds of that liver you did it just in time!

Take care.

Surgery wise I am doing great. I can't believe I had surgery last Friday because I feel great.

I went to my PCP on Monday because I was feeling terrible and it Turns out my fever was a result of an infection in my chest. I am allergic to some antibiotics (z packs) so I got a lesser one prescribed and called the dr yesterday to tell them I'm not any better. 1 week sick like a dog after surgery!!! My new $70.00 (with insurance paying their part) antibiotic started last night and today I feel like I am finally getting better.

THANK GOD!!!!

Morning before surgery 292.2

Morning of surgery 186.9

1 week after surgery 177.4

TOTAL -14.8 LBS

Surgery wise I am doing great. I can't believe I had surgery last Friday because I feel great.

I went to my PCP on Monday because I was feeling terrible and it Turns out my fever was a result of an infection in my chest. I am allergic to some antibiotics (z packs) so I got a lesser one prescribed and called the dr yesterday to tell them I'm not any better. 1 week sick like a dog after surgery!!! My new $70.00 (with insurance paying their part) antibiotic started last night and today I feel like I am finally getting better.

THANK GOD!!!!

Morning before surgery 292.2

Morning of surgery 186.9

1 week after surgery 177.4

TOTAL -14.8 LBS

Nothing like wishful thinking ^^^up there^^^ from 292-177 where do I get some of *those* $70 antibiotics?? :lol:

I'm totally joking with you and hope you realize that. You are probably all drugged up anyway...so I shouldn't poke fun. I just couldn't resist.

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon. Sorry you got an infection that stinks!

Hope you get to feeling better. Sounds like other than the chest infection, you're doing great. Good luck to you.

Good to hear your on the mend and losing weight already!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Russ,

How did your first week go? Besides the killer cold from hell, did you have any other problems? Bad nausea or pain? Does any particular type of food get you sick? Sweets? Hot? Cold?

Dave