Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going On Vacation Please Help!

Hey All! I'm posting this in the Post Op section so that I can get some VSG Veteran advice.

I am being sleeved on 8/15/2013 and having a family reunion/vacation on 11/5/2013.

I will be almost 3 months out but still nervous about food and drink restrictions. Are there any specific things that I should bring with me to make sure I have a great trip?

I already know I should bring some sort of Protein Powder and try to keep up with that.

Also, none of my family knows that I'm getting the VSG. What should I tell them and how do I keep it on the down low?

Thanks in advance!!

Hmmm, at 3 months out folks WILL notice the weight loss and that you are eating and drinking "differently". Unsure how you can keep the secret much longer. At 3 months out, assuming all goes well, and it should, you can eat soft foods easily. Yes to H2O and Protein suppliments, depends on your program whether you should drink any alcohol, and when you eat, try to eat what you've already tried to avoid any 'surprised' (at either end).

Thank you Arts137.

It's great advice to only eat things that my tummy is familiar with. I didn't think of that. It will be even more important while walking around amusement parks all day long. No one wants surprises in a crowd!

By 3 months you shouldn't be having too many issues. Yes, definitely stick with foods you know you can handle, but that may be easier said than done....being in a totally different environment. I've heard lots of people say after VSG that nothing is quite so disruptive as taking a vacation and being away from your daily "routine." In that first year that routine gets to be very comforting.

Regardless, you should be okay. Just be mindful of what you eat. Make small plates and keep in mind that people care much less about what you're eating than you do, they may be too busy eating their own food to care. Have fun and good luck.

As far as the down low??? Can't help you there. I found telling everyone very liberating. But as Arts137 stated, whether you tell or not, people are going to notice the weight loss and it will be THE topic of conversation. Be prepared for the "how did you do it?" questions. Tell them you went paleo and watch their eyes glaze over. :)

I have told my mom, my husband, and my best friend. Other than that I'm not thrilled with having to deal with everyone's reaction.

I know that after surgery it will be less of a problem since they can't try to talk me out of it by then.

There are honestly only a few people that I really don't want to find out, maybe I will find a way to keep it from getting to them.

Thank you both for your responses. I know that getting out of my routine is going to be very difficult, but I think it will be worth it to get the surgery before the trip.

I have always been very self-conscious about what I eat or put in my grocery cart, but you're right, no one cares but me!

IMHO it would be really hard to keep it from people you r vacationing with. I told only a few people before hand for the same reason you mentioned, but post op I could not care who knows. Hard to explain the rapid weight loss and only eating a few bites of food! I have decided to embrace it rather than have people talk behind my back! Good luck , it's a wild ride!

Same here. Told my kids and parents, hubby and a group of my best girl friends before (3 of the people have been thru it so I had great support there) Now I'm working on 45 pounds off...I don't care who knows it and will proudly tell people. I tell them I have battled all of my life and I couldn't let it control me any longer. Most understand, got a few almost sympathy stares...but hey...I'm on Facebook I post weight loss and inches loss and find I get some great support...although they keep posting all that fattening food :).

Daughters wedding next month and Going on a cruise soon. The cruise will be difficult with all that yummy food at the buffets....cocktails and icecream machine...but...I will make it thru it just fine as you will. Stay the course....Good luck.

I don't actually have any advice for you but I am going on a cruise next month and will be only 7 weeks out. Not sure what my options are going to be since we've never cruised before. I am hoping for a lot of chicken. I figure there must be something on the buffet that I can eat.

Yes...no point in avoiding taking trips or vacations. It's good practice for the rest of your life. It's challenging being away from your own kitchen and your daily routine, but it's something we all have to learn to do sooner or later. Just know you may not be able to make super healthy choices, but make the healthiest choices available, and then go back to your routine once you get home.

I have told my mom' date=' my husband, and my best friend. Other than that I'm not thrilled with having to deal with everyone's reaction.

I know that after surgery it will be less of a problem since they can't try to talk me out of it by then.

There are honestly only a few people that I really don't want to find out, maybe I will find a way to keep it from getting to them.

Thank you both for your responses. I know that getting out of my routine is going to be very difficult, but I think it will be worth it to get the surgery before the trip.

I have always been very self-conscious about what I eat or put in my grocery cart, but you're right, no one cares but me![/quote']

If they ask just tell them you are on a "strict diet" I mean all the times we've been on/off them it's believable. Or j/tell them it's none of their business. If you don't mind why do you not want people to know even after it's all said and done?

Just tell them you are eating better, which you are. I know how you feel. I'm going on a curse in Oct and I will be 3 month out then. I can't take my Isopure's which I love but you can get them for your trip. They are 40g Protein. I don't like all the flavors but try them all to see which you like. At GNC they have many flavors and are buy 3 get 1 free here in Charlotte, NC. You can also order them on line @ Lucky Vitamin.com(cheaper). We can't have sodas or juices so these may give you a way to mix up flavors and you'll be getting you protein. Good luck.

Hey All! I'm posting this in the Post Op section so that I can get some VSG Veteran advice.

I am being sleeved on 8/15/2013 and having a family reunion/vacation on 11/5/2013.

I will be almost 3 months out but still nervous about food and drink restrictions. Are there any specific things that I should bring with me to make sure I have a great trip?

I already know I should bring some sort of Protein powder and try to keep up with that.

Also, none of my family knows that I'm getting the VSG. What should I tell them and how do I keep it on the down low?

Thanks in advance!!

At 3 months post-op, I could eat fairly "normally" although in much smaller quantities.

You didn't mention what type of vacation you are going on and that will make a difference. Theme park type stuff is still hard for me to manage, just bc you are on the go all day long and there aren't a ton of good choice food options. I make sure I have a Protein Drink in the am and a decent dinner, often followed by a before bed Protein Drink in those settings.

If you are going to be in a hotel or vacation house type setting, it's fairly easy to plan in advance to bring your Protein drink of choice, some easy to prepare lunch stuff (canned or packet tuna, etc), and Snacks like beef Jerky. Eating at a restaurant will be Ok, too. I tend to order seafood and, if I can, off the kids menu.

I think that by 3 months post-op, you will find you have a decent routine down and will be able to take that with you and modify it. I was eating chicken, beef, and seafood at that point. Some sat easier but I could eat any of it.

As for not telling people, it's up to you. I still have a lot of family and friends that don't know and I have no intention of telling them. Only once have I been asked how I've lost weight and I told them I'm on a high protein, low carb diet... like a modified South Beach kind of diet. Everyone else just days I look great and asks if I am feeling better. As for eating habits, no one really notices what I eat and when. I thought they would but truthfully, most people have been more concerned with their own plate than mine.

Just try to plan a week or so ahead (you'll have a good idea of what you can and will eat then), and you'll do great!

~Kat

If they ask just tell them you are on a "strict diet" I mean all the times we've been on/off them it's believable. Or j/tell them it's none of their business. If you don't mind why do you not want people to know even after it's all said and done?

I don't want people to know because in my immediate family all the women are pretty overweight and try their hardest to be "body positive". This is great, but I have never been able to accept my body the way it is or to accept the infertility that comes with it. I'm afraid that by telling them about the surgery they will see it as a judgement about their body and lifestyle. I am quite a bit smaller than them, so the fact that I'm having the surgery would be pretty offensive to them.

I know that the surgery is a very personal decision and isn't right for everyone, but after struggling my whole life with this, it's the path I've chosen.

On the other end of the spectrum my husband's family is very healthy, skinny, and in shape, and really like to let me hear about it.

Most times we see them weight is brought up at least once (not by me) and how it's sad that people can't just exercise and eat right and be healthy.

It's not that simple for me with PCOS and I know that if they know about the surgery they will have a constant critical eye on my body for the rest of my life, and they will also assume I took the "easy way out".

Maybe in 5 years I won't care if they find out, but for the first few I feel that I need it to be about my journey and not about other people's judgements.

That's why forums like this are so great!

We understand each other, and we know we're making this life-altering decision for ourselves.

I am at 3 months post VSG. I eat normal foods, including steak, Pasta, whatever I want. But, I also supplement with Protein Shakes and/or bars to get my Protein in. I think you will not have any problems with meals, as long as you plan ahead. Always have a bar or shake with you and make sure you always have Water available. I am 50lbs down at 3 months, so I don't know how long you will be able to keep it from your family. However, if you don't want to tell anyone then you don't have to!!! Just tell them you have been working hard at getting healthy (which isn't a lie). Because, regardless of what others might think or say, VSG is NOT the easy road!!! It is so hard to change a lifetime of mind traps and habits. I used to feel embarrassed to tell people that I had VSG, but like many others, now I feel so good inside and out that I don't care if people know. I'm telling you that it doesn't have to be hard. Just go and have fun and enjoy your family!!!! Don't make it all about secrets and who might find out.......JUST HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!! I promise...it will all be okay!~~ Best wishes~!~~

I don't want people to know because in my immediate family all the women are pretty overweight and try their hardest to be "body positive". This is great' date=' but I have never been able to accept my body the way it is or to accept the infertility that comes with it. I'm afraid that by telling them about the surgery they will see it as a judgement about their body and lifestyle. I am quite a bit smaller than them, so the fact that I'm having the surgery would be pretty offensive to them.

I know that the surgery is a very personal decision and isn't right for everyone, but after struggling my whole life with this, it's the path I've chosen.

On the other end of the spectrum my husband's family is very healthy, skinny, and in shape, and really like to let me hear about it.

Most times we see them weight is brought up at least once (not by me) and how it's sad that people can't just exercise and eat right and be healthy.

It's not that simple for me with PCOS and I know that if they know about the surgery they will have a constant critical eye on my body for the rest of my life, and they will also assume I took the "easy way out".

Maybe in 5 years I won't care if they find out, but for the first few I feel that I need it to be about my journey and not about other people's judgements.

That's why forums like this are so great!

We understand each other, and we know we're making this life-altering decision for ourselves.[/quote']

Good luck girl! Ill send a little prayer ur way!