Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In having second thoughts today. I'm scheduled for the band to sleeve revision on 8/9. I had the Lapband in November 2011, I had a awful recovery. Basically the anesthesia doesn't like me.... I get very sick from it. I just don't want to go through all of that again. I scared since the lap band didn't work that the sleeve won't work. Also what if something happens... I mean they are removing part of my stomach. It just scares the st of if me. I have 4 children and I work full time. I'm just scared. Im just overweight. I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes or anything. I had a aunt pass away in Aug 2011 from RNY complications. I want this Lapband out but I'm really scared and nervous to get the sleeve. I know everyone goes through doubts but I just have this nagging thought in my head. Thanks for listening.

Scheduled for lapband to sleeve-8/9. CW-279. Sent from my iPhone using VST

I understand your fear and doubts, and it took me a long time to decide to proceed with the VSG, which I considered a drastic option. I had major complications with diabetes pre-surgery, though, and that prompted my decision. Plus I was 51 years old, so no spring chicken. About the only advice I can give is not to proceed with getting sleeved until you are confident and feel it is the right decision for you...I don't think anyone can ever feel 100% sure--that is just how life is--but you need a high level of confidence in the procedure itself and the surgeon you choose...the best to you

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. of course you are scared it's perfectly normal. I had revision surgery too from lapband to the sleeve. I also have my gallbladder removed and a hernia repaired the same day. And like you I get very sick from the anesthesia. I told the anesthesiologist about how badly I react and they gave me medicine through an IV and also a patch behind my ear that helped immensely. I won't lie the first

couple of days were rough but by day three I was sitting out at my son's baseball game and on day 4 I was back at my desk job. I'm losing weight better and feel so much healthier than I ever did with my band because I can eat real food and I don't feel hungry all the time. It's nice not to be throwing up all the time of course 2. I just wanted to share that with you good luck in making a decision.

Your concerns are understandable. I hope you continue to ponder the pros and cons of the surgery and make the best decision for you. Near as I can tell, we all had some fear before surgery but decided the benefits were worth the risks. Also, I want to point out something that I'm sure you already know: you may not currently be suffering the health consequences of being overweight, but the future is not so rosy. Good luck to you in making your decision.

I was a band to sleeve revision too.

for me, what "cemented" the decision was after that useless band was removed I discovered it really was doing somehting. My already insatiable hunger went completely wild. I knew in my heart that i was eating myself to death... i was over 300# and heading up. I felt it was a life and death decision.

For me personally, this sense of "I have to make this work" is part of what has kept me going through the tough times.

My life is completely transformed. I wear a size 8/10 and look like a "normal" woman. I am so glad I was able to get through my own fear and resistance to take this step.

I am an advocate of not doing this till your ready, but I also recognize that fear is a normal response. I was absolutely terrified - of the surgery, of complications, of living on so little food, of actually becoming thin - you name it, I was scared of it.

I still have my band. They are doing it all in one day. I was never able to find the "sweet spot". My band is 10 cc anything over 5 cc and I can't drink Water and anything under and I can way whatever I want. Almost 2 years of this. I'm just done with it. I'm 31 years old. I weigh 279 and my BMI is about 52. Right now I have nothing else wrong with me. I want to lose weight, I want to make sure I will be healthy for my babies. I want to go on rides with them and fly comfortable and parasail with my husband on our next cruise. I'm so scared of the "what ifs". When I had my band I woke up in a panic attack bc I had my aunt on my mind. I know she was a severe case and her bypass was done wrong and she had major complications for 9 years bc of it but I just keep thinking "what if".

Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for all your encouraging words :)

Scheduled for lapband to sleeve-8/9. CW-279. Sent from my iPhone using VST

I totally understand the fear although it must be harder for you after the loss if your aunt. Just remember all things medical have changed a lot even just in the last 9 years.

I have 4 kids too and in terrified of leaving them without a mother. I'm trying to focus in the fact that loosing this weight will help me to be a better mother and help me stick around to be there for them. I want to be fit and well enough to help out with grandchildren one day!

Wishing you the best of luck.

I begin my liquid diet tomorrow and in two weeks (EEEK!!!) I will have my sleeve done. I am scared of everything you mentioned.....going under, losing so much of my stomach, complications, etc., etc., etc. However, I am more scared that my weight will continue to increase, that my health will continue to get worse, that the complications I feel from the weight are killing me for surely they are, etc., etc., etc.

If not for a friend of mine who is also having the surgery in August I am not sure that I would have looked too deeply into having bariatric surgery however her research really made me look closely at myself and where I was heading by trying to do it on my own. The outcome of that conversation with myself changed my mind and my research solidified the decision. Am I still scared? Yes, but I put a lot of effort into researching doctors and believe that I have made the best choice. I have friends and family that will be praying me through it and I know I will be okay.

Before my hysterectomy I used a guided meditation CD that I am going to download for my MP3 player...it helps you calm down, it helps your recovery. It is called Successful Surgery and it is put out by Health Journeys (http://www.healthjourneys.com/default.asp). Something to consider perhaps.

Also, talk to your doctor about your concerns, it is so understandable that you would have them.

Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Hello!!! I can totally relate to you!! I was banded march 2012, got sick all the time band slipped. I'm 30 and a mom of 3 boys. I had my band to sleeve surgery almost a week ago on 7/17. I too was absolutely terrified of the "what if's". I work in a hospital and I have seen people in the icu from complications from bariatric surgery so I think that's what scared the **** out of me. To the days leading up to my revision I was having visions of what life would be like for my kids if something did go wrong. I was really making myself crazy. I knew I absolutely had to get that useless band out of my body and I knew that I didn't want to go through surgery again so it was all or nothing. I said my prayers and felt comfort from that. Had my friends and family pray for me and I am fine! And you will be fine too! Although I'm quite miserable on liquids right now, I know that I made the right decision. I can't wait to run around the baseball field with my boys!! Good luck and you will do great!