Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared I'll fail @ this!

So, I've done weight watchers, done the Atkins diet, counted calories, started the gym several times! I was successful each time and I lost weight!! Since 2007 I've lost 50-60 lbs like 4 times...and something comes along and I get sidetracked! I will skip a few days at the gym or I will have a couple days that I'm gonna allow myself a "cheat meal" and it becomes a big ol' snowball effect!!!!!

I KNOW in heart and soul that this surgery will help me and keep me focused and honest!!

I want this for myself, for my health, for my family!! It's not ALL about the number on the scale!!

I want to feel healthy again, I want to be able to do so many things that are struggle for me right now!!!

So how can I make this experience the change that I need for THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!

I thought the same thing, but wanted it so bad. Because I wanted to get healthier, I looked at all of the pros & cons. Glad I did, best thing ever. It has some really good perks. if you want it bad enough, you can do this.

Good luck!

After surgery you will be geared to lose the weight...You can only eat so much..At first it might be easy but you will get a lot of energy and want to get going and do things like walking or the gym......I worried that I would never get the energy thing and now..I can't sit still..I am off doing what ever and loving it.....

Feeling better makes you a better person, you'll see I promise! :)

I got all choked up when I said those words to my surgeon and PCP. My PCP said one thing to me that made me feel better. This surgery isn't for the health nuts & marathon runners. Everyone doing this surgery is just like us. I am just starting my 90 day diet with hopefully surgery in Oct/Nov. I have a long way to go but I need and want a healthier life. So me as a meat and potatoes gal or pasta...can forcefully eat what needs to be done to make it.

I'm exactly 9 months post-op and I'm still scared ill fail even though I've lost 60+ lbs and changed my eating habits.

I think that fear will keep me honest and I do t really want to lose it. I need to remember that this is MY LAST CHANCE. It's literally Do or Die!

The biggest thing to keep in mind, at least to me, is that you need to remember that you WILL have stalls. Sometimes long stalls. With "diets", this the point where most of us just give up OR we try crazy ways to make the scale show us a smaller number. We don't really have that option once we've had 85% of our stomach permanently removed. Some folks do try to resort to zanier things to get through the stall. It's not worth it. Just keep to your doctor's plan and you will bust through the stall.

Stalls are actually good for us. It's our body catching up with the weight loss. Some folks who regularly take body measurements have found that they are still losing inches even though the scale isn't showing a loss.

My first stall started at week 3 and lasted for THREE weeks.

To keep successful for the rest of your life? Use what you learn after the surgery and keep with it. Protein first, drink your fluids, enjoy life! I was talking with someone else the other day and said that I'm restricted to about a maximum of 1 cup of food at a meal. It's up to ME to pick the right foods. I could eat a cup of Hershey's Kisses.. or I could have 3 ounces of grilled chicken breast, 1/4 vegetables, and maybe some fruit. (I do need work on drinking my fluids - I just seem to have "Fluid amnesia".)

Ha... and I used to have "food amnesia" before surgery. When doing Weight Watchers, if I didn't write it down, I forgot I ate it.

I use My Fitness Pal to track my food now. It sure helps to make sure I get in at least 85 grams of Protein. I've been kind of lax lately on journaling and I really have no clue how much Protein I've had today or the last couple of days. I will be hopping back on that horse. I like being in control. :)

Great advice ladies!! I feel that I'm not alone and that we all feel that way once in a while:)

I'm also terrified of failing. Especially because I have no energy or motivation. That's one if my reasons for wanting surgery. Hopes that weight loss with increase my energy. It is scary, but hopefully we will all be successful.

I'm also terrified of failing. Especially because I have no energy or motivation. That's one if my reasons for wanting surgery. Hopes that weight loss with increase my energy. It is scary' date=' but hopefully we will all be successful.[/quote']

Yes we will be successful!!!!!

You are not alone in this. I know how you feel. Most people here have probably had the same (or close to it anyway) thoughts. I have been battling with my weight for over 25 years. I can lose some but it always comes back. I'm so afraid I'll go through having this surgery and will manage to fail at it and then I'm really screwed because this is the last resort. It terrifies me to think I might go to this extreme and still not succeed. Because then there are no more excuses. So it would mean there was something really wrong with me, right?

But we can and will do this! Motivation and determination can get you through so many things that seemed scary at some point. Getting motivated will hopefully get easier when some of the physical sensations of being hungry all the time or feeling out of control are minimized. Finding tools now and trying to get my head in the game before surgery is my biggest challenge and goal right now.

Have so many coworkers and friends who have been through this and they all felt this way at some point and are all doing great. So, keep reading the forums and hopefully the successes will help reassure us until we have gone through it and have success ourselves.

I find that fear is somewhat helpful. Just a LITTLE fear will sometimes help you keep or get back on track. I refuse to let myself fail.. I can't fail. This is it for me and I refuse to go back to what I was. I have a goal.. A mission to be in the best health ever. And becoming thinner is icing on the cake.