Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow. Been watching the weather stuff and you CA girls and NW be safe! MEGA rain coming or there! And then the poor NE are getting up to two feet of snow!

This has been a huge winter! I read where Detroit area has already had over 79" of snow this Winter.

I have a bathroom scale that measures body fat and they did the pinch test at the gym and they were within a percent of each other.

I have been eating a lot the last 2 days and i am not sure why. I need to stop it though. I observe that it started after my EX visited but that might be just a coincidence.

I have no clue what my body fat is and I don't really care. I go to the gym as often as I can, and do weight training and that's all I can do. I know I have more muscle than most 61 year old women, and I am trying to keep it.

I feel like I am getting osteoporosis because my last bone density test showed the begining of it in my hips. I know that taking acid reducers is a cause of osteoporosis but I take my calcium citrate religiously. My hips have been hurting lately though.

I am afraid to get home and get back on the scale. Bill and I have been staying at a beautiful resort on the beach on the CA border between OR and CA and it's just gorgeous here. My eating has been crazy since we've been gone, but I'll get back on track hopefully tomorrow since we are leaving in the morning. :(

I have had two dexa scans in my program so far and besides telling bone density, they also give accurate body fat %...if only I could remember what it was! LOL...I wasn't too fussed about fat % -- who cares anyhow? I work out a bit for muscle, I walk a lot, I keep fairly fit. Body fat % can suck it. I don't need any more numbers to bother about, weight is plenty for me. ;-)

Re: The mid-life crisis thing. I do think it's very real and it's usually all about being plunged unexpectedly and unwillingly into the big questions of life and can leave you feeling super empty, scared, lonely, restless -- just like you want to get out of your own skin some days. The worst one I had lasted nearly three years. Torture. I did find this book to be quite helpful eventually... http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Meaning-Second-Half-Life-ebook/dp/B000P2A436

Still down 3-ish kg from the pneumonia/broad-spectrum antibiotics, but less nauseated now and able to eat. I've been trying to eat pretty healthy every day before I think about 5:2ing again, since my energy is still coming back. I do feel much more back to myself in the past few days THANK GOD. I am very bad at being low energy...

My three-year surgiversary was on the 24th...and all is well I think. My three-year follow-up is in a couple of weeks, so we'll see how all the blood work comes out. I don't think they will do another dexa scan this year, but again next year. The program I'm in is annual after three years, in perpetuity, so unless I move, I will be at that clinic for the next X years. That's comforting to me, cos the care is so awesome.

Denise -- did you ever add Queen of Crop in here? I do think she'd like it. And we, her. Bill sounds like a great guy, but I'm with you -- I hate having sleep disturbances of any kind.

Still missing Cheri and Laura...

Florinda, it's awesome that you didn't gain an ounce! I always am happy about that LOL.

Coops -- I just posted in your tough love thread, so I won't belabor it again here. :-)

Sheila -- so glad your puppy is okay!! My dogs are my babies...

Chimera (forgot your first name!) -- that story about your college is heartbreaking. And work politics make me desperately anxious and frustrated too, so I feel your pain on that one. Here's hoping you personally find your way through to a better place!!

Sheryl, I loved your dress, turned out so pretty! I can't remember if I posted since then, so I wanted to say...

Wanda -- your attitude helps me. Seriously.

Love to all... <3

Hi Georgia and Kim! :-) And anyone else I forgot...sorry! Sarsar, hello!

Forgive me, I'm not super at remembering things...

Edited by swizzly

I know I personally believe that stress (or rather the belief that stress is bad for you) can influence weight loss/gain, amongst other health outcomes. And a positive attitude (or even just a neutral one sometimes) does also influence outcomes. So naturally I found this piece interesting:

It seems counterintuitive that increasing numbers of people are claiming to put a greater effort into exercising and eating a nutritious diet, yet there are more obese people in the world than ever before. Some researchers think positivity is a missing variable in the weight loss equation, and a lack of it is what’s keeping people chubby.

To prove the point that the mind has a major impact on the body, Harvard psychologist Ellen Langer conducted an experiment on a group of predominantly overweight hotel maids who, judging by their daily activity levels, should have been thin. Despite essentially exercising all day long through their work, Langer discovered through a survey that 67% of the maids felt they didn’t do any type of exercise. Langer predicted the maids’ perceptions were hampering their weight loss, so she took half the maids aside and, in addition to taking their physical measurements, explained that through their cleaning work they were exceeding the surgeon general’s definition of an active lifestyle. The other half of the maids were given no information.

A month later, Langer’s team returned to the hotel and reevaluated the maids. They found an overall decrease in systolic blood pressure, weight, and waist-to-hip ratio in the educated group. The other group had no significant physical changes. While some suspect the mere discussion of exercise somehow altered the women’s behavior, Langer said there was no indication any of the maids modified their routines, and she feels the results were due simply to a change in mindset.

Comes from this story: http://themindunleashed.org/2014/02/10-amazing-examples-mind-matter.html

Dee, that is really interesting; I often wonder if I am my own worse enemy?!  And I am missing Cheri and Laura too - anyone heard from them?

Kim that chart made me feel a little better  - I think I read it right.

Sheryl love that pic of you on the horse!

I've had a nice day today... did some window shopping for carpet for my son's room - I've just finished decorating it and he is desperate for a new carpet... got some prices so I am hoping to order it next week.  It was nice to be out and about with friends... just wandering around, no real agenda and enjoying the view as such.  Felt like me today.

I've had a good chat with the hubby and we are both going to follow the 5:2 together.  Now he is incapacitated for a while with his knee being out of order, he is conscious of gaining weight and would benefit from losing a few more pounds to alleviate the pressure on it, so he will join me on my fast days.  Monday is our first joint effort.  I am hoping that this will give me more focus, knowing that someone in my 'physical' world is doing it with me and we can support each other.  The other decision we have made is to get rid of bread again... it has crept back into our diets and is doing neither of us any good.

I had my appointment with my TT surgeon... he was really pleased with how I am looking and it would seem that I am pretty much where he expected... the scars on my BL are lovely and fine, almost white and you have to look really close to see them... good job!

My TT scar is white-ish on the sides and getting finer - will eventually be hardly visible - but in the middle it is still pinky in colour.  This is where the 'lip' is.  He said he can fix the lip and get rid of it but it will cost me almost a thousand pounds!  He said he has to charge because it is not a 'surgical error'.  It would only  be a small op and could be done under local, a much easier recovery.  I just don't know if I can justify spending that much more on 'me' that doesn't 'need' to be done... this time it would be completely cosmetic... *sighs*

The good thing is that I have no time limit.... if I want to wait another year, that would be ok and he would sign me in as a follow up so I don't have to pay for a consultation fee. We'll just have to wait and see,  I wanted him to take pity on me and do it for nothing, but alas my charm didn't work...lol!

I would post pics but I can't get them on this lap top - I have downloaded the phone app, does anyone know how to find this thread on it?  I could post from my phone then...

Hope eveyone is doing ok... 

Oh and it is St David's Day today - patron saint of Wales... I have been wearing my daffodil with pride!

Oh and it is St David's Day today - patron saint of Wales... I have been wearing my daffodil with pride!

Learn something new everyday! Happy St David Day!

Sue, when I'm on my phone I click on the BP app

I click on Gastric Sleeve Surgery Support Groups...it's the 4th bubble thingy on my phone

Then I scroll all the way down and click on Gastric Sleeve Social Groups Forums, it's the last bubble on that page

Then I scroll all the way down until I find Eating the 5:2 way, it's almost at the end of the page for me.

Hope that helps.

Loved the pic of you on your horse, Sheryl. It looks like you had a beautiful day! How many horses do you own?

My colleagues are convinced I am starving myself and that my metabolism has tanked as a result, they want me to eat 1600 calories a day!! I am giving up white sugar for Lent, along with anything made with white flour.

Before I had surgery, 2 years prior, I hired a personal trainer and tracked everything I ate. I was faithful - my job depended on my losing weight - I ate 1400 calories a day and worked out with a trainer 5x a week. At the time I was 240 lbs and 4 months later I was 220 - At that obese level, with dedicated trainer led exercise and eating 1400 calories of healthful food, my body STILL didn't want to lose weight! I barely lost 5 lbs a month!! So I am despairing, I just don't know what to do.

Coops, doing 5:2 with the hubby sounds good, wish my hubby would consider... but really he would become a 5:2 tyrent if he really got into it... :P .  

Globe. I feel for you. Having all the focus on you and your weight loss efforts and how you eat must be really uncomfortable. They REALLY don't know what they are talking about. I guess you could do two weeks and get a buddy to watch your every move, and show them the reality... but really, thats not any way to live. And you have done so well, getting those pounds off and keeping them off during the move... thats fantastic! 

Well, I got new batteries for my scale... it was weighting me a  little wonky. It measures body composition... So I checked my body fat, and 28.4. I feel good about that... I thought it would be more...under 30 is my general goal there. Of course, less is better ... I am working on being happy at this maintenance spot for a while. Maybe trying to get 5 more off this summer.

Edited by feedyoureye