Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've read a lot of "the first few days post op are rough" but I'm not sure what that means. I'm hoping to be sleeved in august and am really nervous about the pain when I wake up. Can anyone describe what their pain was like or if you had none?

You'll get very different answers. IF I had "pain" in the hospital, it was certainly controlled by Good Drugs. When home, I had some discomfort, but was able to stop all pain Rx by the 3rd day home. All in all not bad.

I won't sugar coat it. In the moment I woke up from surgery, I had serious intense pain. I spoke one word, "pain." They must have immediately given me something because it was gone. Just that one minute. I never had any real pain after that. It hurt for a few days whenever I would put stress on my stomach muscles, such as when getting out or into bed, other than that, nothing. I took no pain medication after being released from the hospital.

I think I'm one of few. Many people from what I read have done great post op. Not me. From the moment I woke up from surgery, I had intense pain. I could barely open my eyes but kept mumbling "So much pain" and the anesthesiologist said, "I can't give you more , you've already gotten 20mg of Dilaudid". That's an incredible amount. I rarely take pain medicine, occasional excedrine pre-op for Migraines but that's it. I did horrible with Morphine at the hospital, made me super nauseous, and if I vomited, the pain would be excruciating. I was crying. Torradol helped a little, Tylenol was a joke. Vicodin once i was home helped me relax, and I only took 1 tablet instead of the recommended 2 as needed beacuse again, i didnt want to feel nausea. Today marks 4 weeks post op and I'm finally feeling better. I can bend down to change my dogs water/food dish which I couldn't dare do just last week and I been walking a lot more. I didn't think I would heal so slowly, reading everyone's experience on this site before surgery had me thinking I'd be out and enjoying life quickly. Despite all my pain, it is all worth it!!! overall, I've lost a total of 34 pounds (25 pounds since surgery- June 12). Best of luck!!!

I've read a lot of "the first few days post op are rough" but I'm not sure what that means. I'm hoping to be sleeved in august and am really nervous about the pain when I wake up. Can anyone describe what their pain was like or if you had none?

I got sleeved yesterday and it hurts when I walk, but other than that it's just pressure.

I have back pain due to the gas. I think the back pain was similar to light contractions.

I had no pain from the incisions or sleeve. NONE! I had mild gas pains in my shoulder, but that didn't last long. I could sleep on my side from day 1 and had no trouble getting up or down. I took liquid pain meds for about 3 days. So, you can see, people vary a lot. It was SO much easier than I expected! Think positive and I bet it will be for you too.

There are as many answers to this one as there are members here. I woke up tender but not in pain.It felt like I had done a ton of situps and ached in that area. I can truly say I was fortunate and never had "pain" per se. ( I had two surgeries one for gall bladder and the sleeve one month a part and the experience was equal, if not better the second time with the sleeve) I was achey, felt a twinge here and there if I twisted awkwardly. I was on pain meds in the hospital, and the first day home, after that Tylenol worked just fine for me. The first few days I was walking gingerly, but I think I was more worried about hurting myself than anything else. I made sure not to lift anything heavy or bend if I could avoid it. I slept in a recliner for a few days and that made things easier. I did have a lot of noises from my stomach that I was somewhat anticipating (thank you VST). I was very alert after both surgeries, had them on Tuesday and was back to my office that Monday. I took the advice of many and walked as much and as often as I could. The more I walked the better I felt.

Good luck!

I had no problem with the pain. I am very sensitive to anesthesia so I had some trouble with dry heaves. I also had the gas pains, but overall, no big deal!

I am 7 days post op. the pain I had initially was gas pain from the surgery. It was in the diaphragm area so hurt to breathe. Pain meds helped but made me dizzy and nauseous so they would give me meds for that. The roxicet they gave me for at home was much better and after 3 days was not in much pain at all. I have no pain from the surgery or the incisions but still have a little pain for a few seconds when I drink. I also had my gall bladder removed and had shoulder pain from that for a few days which they say is common.

i woke from surgery with no pain but what felt like a persistent gas cramp. They saw i was uncomfortable and offered me pain meds. I took them and they helped immensely. I felt the most discomfort in the recovery room. I was cracking jokes as they wheeled me to my room. in a few days that pain turned into what felt like the soreness of having done too many situps the day before. i was given liquid hydrocodone to take home and that helped too. i started out only being able to drink half an ounce of Water every 15 minutes but was quickly drinking 1 ounce and more in a few days.

Edit: forgot to mention, I had NO issues with my incisions and no pain from them. I did have one of those medicine balls (i forget the name)

YMMV but the root canal I had years earlier was a worse experience.

I may be a rare case, but I had zero pain, and I didn't take any pain meds either. I never used my pain pump, and only asked for IV Tylenol once because I had a headache. Gas cramps were very minimal. The only thing I could complain about was the dry mouth!!! And also I was very tired the first few hours. I kept falling asleep in the chair sitting up. Since I've been home I also had no pain, went out with my husband and my kids the next day, and grocery shopping yesterday (I'm 6 days out today). I was really tired after shopping, but still no pain. I've been very lucky

If it wasn't for having this drain I would have no pain at all.... The first couple of days there was some gas pain but walking helped that.

I really didn't have much pain at all. I had some discomfort when sleeping, other than that it was a pretty easy recovery!

Good Luck!

Not pain more like muscle discomfort. Almost like being kicked in the tummy. don't forget they have to go thru muscle to pull out the excess tummy. I had an iv and also a bolas of morphine that I could control how much and how often. I used it a bit the first 36 hours but not a lot. One girl who had it done right before me used it so much she was hallucinating!!! Gas is a problem because it's not the type you can toot out!! Walk, walk, walk. Ask for help from the nurses. They are there for you, don't think you are bothering them. Sit up when you can.

You guys are so awesome, thanks for all the replies! I can see there's really no way to know how it's going to go, everyone is different. I just hope I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to pain and this'll be my first real asleep surgery (I had a csection 5 yrs ago).