Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average loss with the sleeve is 60% of excess weight?!?!

I'm 4'11". I started at 248. I'm now at 158. My goal is 135. I have lost 79.6% of my weight. I'm almost 8 months out. I've got the next 23lbs! I will kick their butt! My cousin is 18 months out and has maintained 105lbs lost for the last 8 months.

I have to admit' date=' while researching the sleeve that number concerned me! I wanted to lose 100%! I personally know 2 people who have lost 100% and one had trouble losing too much! The other is 8 months pregnant and was flaunting her cute little belly in a bikini yesterday. I'm 8 months out and have already lost 70% of my excess.

For those still researching, don't let that number discourage you! I don't know how they came up with it! Seems like most lose more than that![/quote']

Ty Nico for this encouraging post:). I wondered the same thing when I went to the seminar. I actually said, how does ur body know to stop at 60 or so % nd they said its stats. I was sad but thot, well, it'll b a better weight than where I am now, nd I'll just b a statistic that proves otherwise, he said, its possible:/ newhoo Tysm nd cont success to u:)) Dee Dee

Yea' date=' long term maintenance worries me too. That's why it's important to gain healthy habits during weight loss. I still have 40 pounds to go so I'm going to focus on that for now!

Congratulations to everyone for their success!

Denn, how tall are you? I wouldn't exactly say not exercising is hindering the number on the scale, but it's not contributing to a healthy lifestyle either. It's crazy that your doc would say that. Don't let that discourage you! Good luck![/quote']

I'm super short - I'm 5'1" and built like a brick- wide and square and squat !!! I got a gym membership today- I'm determined to do this !!!

Q I want to kno my excess weightloss how do you come up with the numbers I'm 201 I was 299 at 5'8 6 months out

My Doc said 60% is the sleeve, 20% nutrition and 20% is exercise-which makes perfect sense.

Question: when everyone says weight loss from pre op' date=' are you referencing the date that you began your pre op liquid diet?[/quote']

I'm thinking weightloss before surgery liquid diet ,6 month supervised diet any weightloss before surgery

My doc also gave national stats of about 60% loss, but said his stats are better. I agree with proudgrammy, I do think they might "enhance" their numbers. For instance, they included my pre-op loss in with post-op loss. That boosted the number. Either way, when I started this journey, I thought 60% sounded pretty good. That was way better than what I could do alone, and I figured if I met his stats, it would be more like 70%, even better. Now at 6 months I've hit 60%, and I'm still losing, and I'm going for 100%. The sleeve helped me get the number down to one that is not so overwhelming, and I believe I can do it. I also think the national stats are realistic, because it includes people who don't put in the effort needed and lose little weight, as well as those who do put in the effort to get to 100%, and people everywhere in between It's an average, but in the end, each of us is in control of our own success. The sleeve is not magic, as we all know!:)

Ok- so when I started I was 246- about 234 on the day of surgery. I'm nine weeks out and am 198/196 so I've lost approximately 50 pounds. My doctor told me that I could reach 180-160 but that's about it. My goal weight is 130lbs...is that reasonable, is it possible ? I haven't done much exercise- is that going to hinder me? I have no clue where to set my goal and these stalls are getting old.

If you exercise you WILL reach that goal of 130 pounds. I am just about 6 months out--- the scale moves downward every single week -- EXCEPT for the weeks I don't get to the exercising. It makes all the difference in the world and it will hinder you if you don't do it. How tall are you?? Your height could be why the doc is giving you that number of 160- to 180. Start moving. You will love the way you feel and you will love not having any stalls in your weight loss. And you if are 5'7" or below-- you can absolutely weigh 130. That is the new number I want to get to also. Keep us posted sweetie. And MOVE girlie!! :)

If you exercise you WILL reach that goal of 130 pounds. I am just about 6 months out--- the scale moves downward every single week -- EXCEPT for the weeks I don't get to the exercising. It makes all the difference in the world and it will hinder you if you don't do it. How tall are you?? Your height could be why the doc is giving you that number of 160- to 180. Start moving. You will love the way you feel and you will love not having any stalls in your weight loss. And you if are 5'7" or below-- you can absolutely weigh 130. That is the new number I want to get to also. Keep us posted sweetie. And MOVE girlie!! :)

Thanks Melissa!!! I went to the gym and my body feels yucky but I feel amazing !!! I am 5'1" so pretty short. If I got to 160 and that's it I would be grateful - but I want more. My highest BMI range would be at 130- so that's why it doesn't seem so far out for me to imagine lol!!! I am more determined than ever to do this- wish me luck.

Oh I think at 5'1" - the chance of you getting to 130 pounds is absolutely attainable!!! You can DO IT! Strive to work out 7 days a week. Make it routine - like taking a shower. It will pay off.You don't have to work out 7 days a week for the rest of your life- just for now- while you try to reach your goal. In just a week or 2 you will see results. Just don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat so don't get discouraged by the scale. The long term weight loss will be there on the scale eventually. Can't wait to hear how you progress.

I don't recall the percentage of excess weight doc said she'd expect me to lose, but I do recall her saying that the results of the sleeve are proving to be only 5% lower than the gastric bypass. That number was insignificant to me when taking into consideration the negative side effects of the GB.

To be clear... a pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. The difference comes in the area they occupy. A pound of muscle takes up a lot less space than a pound of fat. So, when you exercise your butt off and don't lose much weight, the difference should be felt in the way yours clothes fit. :D

Average loss is whatever the hell you want it to be. As someone said these are the averages of a small group of people so in theory if you lose 70 80 or even 90 % you are an outlier.

Who the hell wants to be average anyway? Don't get hung up on the numbers..work the program and it will work for you!

I feel a cheerleader streak of posting coming on..doesn't happen often :P

My Dr also told me the average weight loss was 60% of the excess body weight... So my goal was to be 165lbs, he rounded since my starting weight was 264, that with 100lbs to loose, if I lost 60 within the first year he would consider me a success... He believes people lose the majority of the weight they will lose in the first 18 months post op. Seeing as I have lost about 83lbs in the past 7 months I guess he would consider me a success.. I have lost approx. 83% of my excess weight and I have confidence within the next 9 months I can successfully lose the last 17% and lose 100% of the weight my Dr and Nut suggested I lose!

My doc told me I would probably lose 70% of my excess weight. I ended up losing 20 more pounds then he expected. My original goal weight was 150 but as I got to the weight I am now I decided I am happy right where I am. I will be having a Tummy Tuck, which will probably take off another 5-10 pounds, but that is all skin. I fit into a size 10 now, so I am guessing that after my tummy tuck I will be in the single digits....and that is just amazing to me! Ultimately where you end up is depending on how badly you want to work to get there. If you want more then exercise more. This is a fantastic tool and when used right you can blow those doctors numbers right out the door! :) this was the best choice I have ever made for my health! Good luck to all of you! :)