Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average loss with the sleeve is 60% of excess weight?!?!

I have to admit, while researching the sleeve that number concerned me! I wanted to lose 100%! I personally know 2 people who have lost 100% and one had trouble losing too much! The other is 8 months pregnant and was flaunting her cute little belly in a bikini yesterday. I'm 8 months out and have already lost 70% of my excess.

For those still researching, don't let that number discourage you! I don't know how they came up with it! Seems like most lose more than that!

That's fab to hear! I must say I was a little worried. Well done what an achievement :-

The thing about these numbers are they are averages based on a small group that would have been studied which means that it is easy for the numbers to be way off if there were people in the study who totally didn't follow the plan and lost little or nothing. I personally am also at 70% at 7 months out and still losing and if you look at the posts on here most have lost over that 60% from what I can tell. So in other words I totally agree with Nicolanz don't let these studies dissuade anyone with proper following of the plan I believe much better percentages are definitely achievable.

According to whom, and how far out? My surgeon says his average is 80-90% of excess weight lost initially with a small rebound weight gain typical, but not up to 60%.

Also, it's said on this board over and over again, but you decide where you fit on that. If you think the surgery is a magic bullet and you don't have to change anything except the amount you eat, you probably won't hit 100%. If you stick to plan 95% of the time and exercise regularly, you'll get a lot closer.

This surgery still doesn't have much long term data out there. We are all pushing this thing into the books. Ten years from now that 60% number will for sure be higher.

It must be higher! I've lost 33.6lbs between pre-op & 3 weeks post op...47 lbs to go and I'll be 28.6 BMI and 174lbs. I'm 5'10"...typing these numbers out no wonder its been slow as in no loss the last 2 weeks.

It must be higher! I've lost 33.6lbs between pre-op & 3 weeks post op...47 lbs to go and I'll be 28.6 BMI and 174lbs. I'm 5'10"...typing these numbers out no wonder its been slow as in no loss the last 2 weeks.

Wow!!! You go girl! Congratulations!

amount, % of weight loss???

sometimes i think docs "might" "fudge" their #s a bit

its easier to say 60% success rate - people do arrive at that #, showing the doc has been successful (just my opinion)

I am at 100% weight loss

105 lb weight loss

started at 235 lbs (5'3)

now weigh 130 lbs

GOAL

i've been maintaining these past 7 months and counting til forever and a day ;)

so i guess i'm a success story/person :)

its not like i'm bragging..................

hmmmm, i guess i am :lol: but i/we all work hard to reach our goals - and i am very happy and proud :)

the sky is the limit with your % of weight you want to lose

your new life is at your fingertips :)

good luck to all

kathy

Does the excess weight percent mean what I should weigh to have normal bmi? I'm sure this is a silly thing for me to be asking. I'm not concerned with having a normal bmi I picked my goal weight because I feel for me it's a good realistic weight for me to be at. But for me to have a normal bmi I have already lost 87% of my excess weight after 10 months. I would need to weigh 145 to have lost 100% but I don't want to go below 160.

This has always concerned me, but I agree with the person who mentioned their best weight for them, not necessarily the BMI charts... To me the bigger concern/worry is the ability to keep the weight off long-term.

Ok- so when I started I was 246- about 234 on the day of surgery. I'm nine weeks out and am 198/196 so I've lost approximately 50 pounds. My doctor told me that I could reach 180-160 but that's about it. My goal weight is 130lbs...is that reasonable, is it possible ? I haven't done much exercise- is that going to hinder me? I have no clue where to set my goal and these stalls are getting old.

amount' date=' % of weight loss???

sometimes i think docs "might" "fudge" their #s a bit

its easier to say 60% success rate - people do arrive at that #, showing the doc has been successful (just my opinion)

I am at 100% weight loss

105 lb weight loss

started at 235 lbs (5'3)

now weigh 130 lbs

GOAL

i've been maintaining these past 7 months and counting til forever and a day ;)

so i guess i'm a success story/person :)

its not like i'm bragging..................

hmmmm, i guess i am :lol: but i/we all work hard to reach our goals - and i am very happy and proud :)

the sky is the limit with your % of weight you want to lose

your new life is at your fingertips :)

good luck to all

kathy[/quote']

- how did u do it ? Exercise? food habits ? Do 's and Don'ts ? You are amazing!!!

I'm tall and big (and a guy) at 6'3". I was 367 pre-op (12/19/12) and I'm now 213 at about 6 1/2 months post op (lost 154 lbs). I've very closely followed the program I was given and exercised a lot. I need to lose at least 14 more lbs to get my BMI in the normal range. I don't know if I can or if I'll ever make it to 199.

My doctor originally told me he could get me to 175-180. Now he tells me that's probably too low for me...

I just know that my big worry is maintaining...

Yea, long term maintenance worries me too. That's why it's important to gain healthy habits during weight loss. I still have 40 pounds to go so I'm going to focus on that for now!

Congratulations to everyone for their success!

Denn, how tall are you? I wouldn't exactly say not exercising is hindering the number on the scale, but it's not contributing to a healthy lifestyle either. It's crazy that your doc would say that. Don't let that discourage you! Good luck!