Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

birth control after sleeve?

I'm curious, what birth control methods are you ladies using? My doc said the pill is not proven effective after surgery, but that and spermicidal condoms are the only things I've ever used. Any recommendations?

I went on the Mirena IUD two months after surgery. No complications and loving it so far.

My doctor did not say that the pill was not effective; however, any birth control that changes your hormones can cause blood clots. My doctor is allowing me to go back on the pill two months after surgery.

I've never heard that about the pill. I'm off the pill a month before my surgery, to prevent blood clots. I'm assuming I can return to them as soon as I've had surgery, never heard any differently. I'll definitely ask. For the last 2 weeks we've been using condoms :(

My surgeon had me off for one month before and off for one month after as well, then I can start back on my pill.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am on depo shot every 3 months and have been way before surgery and its been my savior. One of the side effect is weight gain but for some reason, I have not gained a pound since I have been on it but I know someone that has gained weight while on it. I had my baby 7/10/12 and was given the shot before I was discharged 3days later.

I'm on the pill and my doctor never said that the pill has been proven ineffective....

Thanks everybody! I should say what the doctor told me was that there were no studies done to show hat the pill was AS effective after surgery. I've been thinking of doing the shot. Thanks, y'all!

My doctor (and common sense) recommends two forms of birth control, one definite barrier method. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, you break those down and estrogen gets released in your body, cranking up your fertility, as well as thinning your hair. In the first 18months after surgery there is a high risk of neural tube defects in pregnancy. I use condoms, and a no-estrogen (and it's saving my hair) pill. No problems :)

(though I did have Mirena once and would never recommend it to anyone!)

If the shot you are referring to is depo provera, be careful. I was on it for about 18 months in my 20's. I gained 50 pounds and didn't realize what a miserable, nasty b$&ch I was until I went off of it. It is different for everyone, but was horrible for me.

Liz-what was your experience with Mirena?

My 22 year old daughter took the Depo shot ( she is 5'3/ 110 lb) and had a horrible bout of depression and weight gain that took over a year to recover from. I would have a hard time recommending to anyone.

My Dr. switched me to the Nuvaring because after a lengthy discussion where I was concerned about the absorption of the pill in my stomach and my concerns with taking high doses of hormones at my age (40), she explained that the Nuvaring delivers low doses of hormones which are absorbed directly into your bloodstream rather than the pill which has to be processed through your stomach and liver before it is absorbed, and if I were to take my pill at the same time as eating something that my body did not agree with and either throw up or have diarrhea then it would be possible for me not to get the appropriate dose of hormones. She recommends the Nuvaring to all her WLS patients. So far, I have not noticed any difference between taking the pill or the Nuvaring as far as how I feel. Another plus is that you can go three months without having a period....

I tried the depo shot back when it first came our and gained 50 pounds and had horrible Migraines, so I was not interested in going that route.

If the shot you are referring to is depo provera' date=' be careful. I was on it for about 18 months in my 20's. I gained 50 pounds and didn't realize what a miserable, nasty b&ch I was until I went off of it. It is different for everyone, but was horrible for me.

Liz-what was your experience with Mirena?[/quote']

Oh gosh, where to start! From insertion my cramps doubled in severity, my flow got heavier, and I ended up pregnant anyway. Went to the ER because I was bleeding heavily and they told me I'd miscarried. I dealt with it. Then about 3 months later I got this horrible pressure in my stomach and back and went to the bathroom. I had dropped my phone by the toilet and was in so much pain I dialed 911 with my toes. I ended up delivering a fetus that was pretty developed, the Mirena gave me a gals negative in the ER, I had been pregnant the whole time.

I also started growing a goatee, and losing hair on my head because the estrogen was so high. Bad news all around. Couldn't pay me to get back on that thing!

I have had the para guard non hormonal IUD and the mirena. The paraguard was fine for the first few years and then my cycle became very heavy and cramps were so bad I would have to call in to work every month because if them. Then we decided to try for #2 but I ended up getting the lapband and needed to go back on birth control for awhile so I got the mirena. It was horrible!!! I cramped and bleed non stop from the time I got it. After several month I decided to have it removed. It messed my body up so much I have not had a successful pregnancy since. My last was a ectopic pregnancy but not within my tubes! Therefore I had to get rounds of methotrexate (which is a form of chemo) to get rid of it. My hair feel out like crazy and I was very depressed. Now I'm on lo lo estrin fe 28 and I no longer have a cycle. I did have to get off of it for 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after but I've been fine. I too would never recommend the mirena to anyone Asti has made me give up on ever having any more children.

I'm so sorry for what you've both gone through!! I'm just over a month in and so far the only side effect is mild acne. Crossing my fingers there is nothing on the horizon.