Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm on day 4 of the post-op diet--and I'm not lovin' it, I must admit! Ah, well! This is what I signed up for, so I shall tough it out!

It is because our surgeons are Sadists. Yep I am stickin to that. Seriously I have been on my pre op diet since 6/24. It's pretty easy as compared to others because I get to eat real food and don't have to deal with those shakes. But under 30 g. carbs is one of the hardest things I have ever done

I hear ya. I've got 14 to do and only 4 in so far too.

I hated my pre op diet to. I just didn't understand how doctors think we can just drink our meals and not eat. If I could do that I would not have gained the weight that I did. After the first 2days it got easier. Hang in there. It will be almost the same type of diet after the surgery...liquid.

I guess I would feel better doing the pre op diet if i knew everybody had to follow it. But when you talk to others and they say that they didn't have a pre op diet or they only had five days, that is what is hard to understand. Why is it all so different?? Some say to shrink the liver while others say a Colin cleanse. I guess I would like some consistency!!!

I had to do 14 days of liquid shakes only, plus a cup of Soup each day. I can honestly say the pre-op diet was tougher than the surgery, or the diet after. The cravings were horrible! I was so crabby! After day 4 it got easier. I did lose 18 pounds before surgery, so it worked! But my surgery took almost twice as long as it should have. The Dr said my liver and spleen were both large, so it was hard to get around in there. So shrinking the liver is important! It makes the surgery easier, you don't want to be under anesthesia any longer than you have to. My surgery went well, and I had no complications, but the pre-op diet is for a good reason. I know its tough, it was honestly the toughest part of this whole process. After the surgery you will be on a liquid diet too, but you wont have the cravings like you do now, so its easier to deal with.

I guess I would feel better doing the pre op diet if i knew everybody had to follow it. But when you talk to others and they say that they didn't have a pre op diet or they only had five days, that is what is hard to understand. Why is it all so different?? Some say to shrink the liver while others say a Colin cleanse. I guess I would like some consistency!!!

It's frustrating, but the more I learn about VSG the more I learn how different the *rules* are for every surgeon and every patient.

I had NO pre-op diet at all. When I asked why, the answer I got was, "At this practice, we don't believe the benefit of a pre-op diet outweigh the punitive aspects of a pre-op diet--your food intake will be so restricted after surgery, why prolong the agony?"

Interesting answer, right?

That being said, I DID change my diet on my own, pre-op. I cut out all caffeine. I stopped drinking all sodas and all coffee. I gave up processed junk food and processed carbs, and I lost 16 pounds over the course of two months.

Now I'm post-op, and for the next two weeks, all I can eat are Clear liquids and full liquids. Nothing else. It's not easy, but y'know what--swallowing liquids is a big enough challenge for me right now. I know that if I even tried cottage cheese or egg whites, I'd be running for the loo faster than you can say "gastric sleeve".

So, yeah. I wish it was all one rule for everyone, too. I'm jealous of my sleeve sisters who get to eat Cream of Wheat and cottage cheese when we're all on Day 4 of the post-op diet. But rather than throw the plan out the window, stomp my foot and flounce off, I'll just square my jaw and follow the plan, whether I agree with it or not.

After all, in MY case, doing it my way is one of the reasons I needed this surgery. I relinquish control over my diet for a couple of months in order to regain control over my LIFE. For me, that's more than a fair trade.

But I sure would love a dollop of cottage cheese right now. (I'm weak!) ;)

I guess I would feel better doing the pre op diet if i knew everybody had to follow it. But when you talk to others and they say that they didn't have a pre op diet or they only had five days' date=' that is what is hard to understand. Why is it all so different?? Some say to shrink the liver while others say a Colin cleanse. I guess I would like some consistency!!![/quote']

It is to shrink the liver. If you notice the longer diets usually are not just liquid. It is the stricter diets that are shorter. It is a trade off. Also we all have different bmi's..and that might be part of the reason for the difference.

I start my 7 day preop on wednesday.

Yeah every doctor is different I had to loose 40 lbs before I even got a surgery date ... Thursday the 11th is my surgery and on Monday I do all shakes & on the day before all Clear Liquids .... But I've been on 2 shakes 1 meal and 2 Snacks since march !!! They all have there own thing depending on the person because I know some that is not on the same diet I'm on and we are both seeing the same doctor

I think I have a different take on this pre op diet. I think it is to show that you are dedicated to following what is required to actually lose weight and follow a regime that will bring you success. Insurances are investing in you and you must have a great investment in this as well. I did NOT have a pre op diet because I was self pay. I paid 18,000 dollars for my surgery in Orange Co. Calif. It was my hard earned dollars. I would of done a pre op diet if insurance would of paid, happily. I had no obvious need for the surgery...yet for insurance to pay and I did not want to get worse myself. So, consider it a trade off for an investment that is offered to you.

I think I have a different take on this pre op diet. I think it is to show that you are dedicated to following what is required to actually lose weight and follow a regime that will bring you success. Insurances are investing in you and you must have a great investment in this as well. I did NOT have a pre op diet because I was self pay. I paid 18' date='000 dollars for my surgery in Orange Co. Calif. It was my hard earned dollars. I would of done a pre op diet if insurance would of paid, happily. I had no obvious need for the surgery...yet for insurance to pay and I did not want to get worse myself. So, consider it a trade off for an investment that is offered to you.[/quote']

Well just like you I'm self pay and still have to do a pre op diet. Insurance has nothing to do with it!!

Yes, I was self pay also. I had a 2 week pre op diet of 2 shakes and 1 lean and green meal. My Dr. stressed that is was to shrink the liver. They actually lift the liver to reach the stomach.