Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I have heard all of the good and now I want to hear all of the bad and the ugly. I don't care how bad it is. I want to hear. My sleeve date is Aug 7th. I really want to know EVERYTHING there is to know about the sleeve and i'm sure the good out weighs the bad but I NEED to know the bad. Thanks in advance.

I havent personally had a lot of bad. The bad really depends on your up keep. I hear a lot of people who have skin issues. I have no skin issues. I started working out right away about a month out. Some people get mad at the scale because they havent lost a lot of weight. The weight will come off trust me.

I have also heard about ppl who cant deal with the different way of eating or dumping syndrome. Eating will be something that you will have to get used to all over again and learning when enough is enough so you dont dump.

I didnt have complications from surgery or post surgery. So in my opinion the ugly depends on your will and ability to adapt to a new life without food.....yes i said without because it wont be the same again....well at least for about a couple of years.

Good Luck on your journey...

let's see...keep in mind I am only two months out myself...the bad is that this is a major lifestyle adjustment, and no matter what you are going to have many times of temptation (at parties, during meals with friends and family, etc.)...even though everyone will keep telling you during the first few weeks to hang in there, drinking those gross Protein Shakes and doing without solid food is going to be tough...you will also have low energy and possibly some pain...I was fortunate not to have any surgical related pain after coming home and very little gas pain...also, don't expect for sure that you won't feel both "head" hunger and real hunger; while many VSGers don't experience true hunger post-surgery (because of lack of grehlin hormone), I have not been one of those lucky ones--I still experience true hunger at times...I have been very fortunate to have no post-op complications (such as dehydration, infection, or stricture), so I cannot address that "bad side"...one more thing that I am currently experiencing for the second time is a weight loss stall; I wouldn't say that is an overall "bad" thing since it is normal and does come to an end, but it can be very demoralizing and frustrating from an emotional--if not physical--perspective

good luck, and I applaud you for bravely facing the possible "bad" side

Ha the ugly for me was the first few bowl movements after surgery! I felt bad for the nurses because of the smell. Not too much bad or ugly but the first few days suck!

You guys are awesome! Thanks.

I've only had two really so far, one physical and one emotional. I had really bad pain at my drain site for a couple of weeks post-op. I couldn't sit down, stand up, bend over, or twist to the side without tears about coming to my eyes. But keep in mind that isn't normal -- and my pain did go away.

The emotional one -- last week at some point I just got really upset at the thought of having to carefully plan everything I eat and make sure I hit a bunch of different macros every day for the foreseeable future. It wasn't so much that I wanted to be able to eat junk, or to eat a ton of food, I just wanted to not have to obsess and think about every single thing I was putting in my mouth. I wanted my life to be like it was before, when I rarely thought about that. It takes a lot of mental energy. But I got over that pretty quickly. I signed up for it, I knew it when I decided on the surgery, so no use crying over spilt milk etc. :)

Be on a PPI - some people aren't aware they need them. The acid can cause a feeling much like hunger (rumbling tummy) even if it doesn't burn your throat or feel like heartburn.

Constipation happens, be prepared to use something like Miralax.< /p>

But above and beyond the ugliest thing is the realization that you will eventually have that surgery can help you lose the weight and help you be thinner and healthier, but that whatever made you obese in the first place will still be there.

I am three years out and truly felt that surgery was going to work miracles. In some ways, it did. I'm doing a great job with maintenance and I've not seen any real regains.

But everything that made me want to eat before is still there. My love of food, my food memories, my way to cope with stress, my way to bury feelings, my way to show love and bond with my family...food was a major part of my life prior to surgery and I was in denial about my overeating and about my poor coping skills until well after my surgery.

Everyone looks at goal as the big thing to achieve, as if it's the biggest hurdle in this journey. And goal is tough and it's amazingly rewarding to get there. But just over that hurdle is a long, long and winding road called maintenance. And THAT is really where your journey begins. Because maintenance takes forever and you have to really change for the long term to stay there.

This is not a diet. This will not work if you treat it like a diet. This is the rest of your life and even at goal, you're still going to be YOU and that's important to realize.

For me, that has been the biggest change and the most difficult one so far.

~Cheri

I am seven weeks out today. The good? I've lost weight and inches and I feel in control. This is the first time that I have ever made the commitment to really lose weight and been "forced" to stick with it. I've been blessed with the absence of hunger 95% of the time so that makes things SO much easier. Even through the bad, I know that I have no choice but to stick to my plan because of the surgical removal of my stomach. Because of that, I am more apt to stay on track and make good choices.

The bad? I am a Water drinker. Not being able to throw back a 20oz bottle of Water in a minute is killing me in this heat and with the exercise I like to do. I suggest you get into the habit NOW of sipping water. Until you have this surgery, you have no idea how difficult it is, it's truly impossible to describe.

It's also been very difficult to slow down and take teeny bites. Get used to that now as well. I thought the idea of buying baby utensils was ridiculous, but it works. I haven't bought a sippy cup nor will I, but the little forks and spoons are fantastic.

Stalls suck donkey butt, but keep in mind that although they will happen sooner than you would like and last longer than they should, they will pass. I weigh myself every day, several times a day but I do not beat myself up about the number on the scale. If you know you will, put the scale away. It will only cause heartache and frustration.

This was the best choice of my life (besides my kids) and I do wish I had done it sooner. My life will never be what it was again, but that said, that wasn't exactly a healthy life, so I am not missing out on anything.

Good luck to you!

Best of luck to you on whatever you decide. I highly recommend making Weight Watchers. Wls, in my opinion, is for extreme circumstances. No matter how much you think you have read, researched, are prepared, etc etc...you don't know what you have gotten yourself into til you wake up from wls. Mental & emotional aspects of this are tougher for some. Protein Shakes are not good (well, that is my opinion on them), but if you don't get in the Protein you don't lose as well. Your new normal is difficulty in drinking & eating for the rest of your life. Sipping, or feeling the bad effects of a normal drink - is your new normal. Bathroom issues - contispation or the other - your new normal. Gall bladder & other health issues can be side effects. I stay dehydrated now! Skin issues and possible other surgeries may be in your future. hair will shed & fall out even if you do everything right. Your sense of taste & smell may change. You will burp, fart, gurgle, and other strange noises anytime you drink/eat with good choices and especially bad choices. You will look at food differently. You will have to make changes in your lifestyle you may not want to make especially around family & friends. You may not feel like yourself. Because of the possible difficulties of drinking/eating, you will end up thinking about food choices more after surgery than you did before surgery! Even though you have wls ..if a person doesn't still exercise & make good food choices...you can and will gain weight even after wls. I wish you all the best!

Hmmm I haven't had too much bad and ugly but I will say, if you over eat the reflux is disgusting!! I actually regurgitate food into my mouth its awful. But it means I don't over eat very often.

Also I have lost a lot of hair, my relationship with my sister has suffered badly, and sometimes I just want to eat a big steak!!!

The good: I'm 10 weeks out. I'm off all blood pressure meds and have been since 1 month post-op. I can cross my legs comfortably. I can paint my toenails without getting short of breath. I can go up 4 flights of stairs easily...no sweating, no shortness of breath. I haven't been this weight in 15 years. I've gone from a size snug 20 pants and 2XL shirts to size 18 pants (almost getting into 16s comfortably) and size large shirts.

The bad: I had a splenic infarction post-op (lost blood flow to 20% of my spleen due to a clot). I started to get sick with chills, high fever and severe left upper quadrant pain four hours after I was discharged and was readmitted for 2 more days because of it. I've fully recovered since.

I lost control of my bowels at least 3 times immediately post-op in the hospital and it was diarrhea. Very humiliating. It happened at home at least twice as well. I have since learned to never trust a fart!

I had a lot of incision pain.

I struggle with Water intake.

I struggle every day with Constipation.< /p>

I hate the loose skin that used to be my double chin. It makes me look and feel old. Do I want the double chin back...NO!

Do I regret it? Sometimes. But then I think of all the good that has come from it. I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Be on a PPI - some people aren't aware they need them. The acid can cause a feeling much like hunger (rumbling tummy) even if it doesn't burn your throat or feel like heartburn.

Constipation happens, be prepared to use something like Miralax.

But above and beyond the ugliest thing is the realization that you will eventually have that surgery can help you lose the weight and help you be thinner and healthier, but that whatever made you obese in the first place will still be there.

I am three years out and truly felt that surgery was going to work miracles. In some ways, it did. I'm doing a great job with maintenance and I've not seen any real regains.

But everything that made me want to eat before is still there. My love of food, my food memories, my way to cope with stress, my way to bury feelings, my way to show love and bond with my family...food was a major part of my life prior to surgery and I was in denial about my overeating and about my poor coping skills until well after my surgery.

Everyone looks at goal as the big thing to achieve, as if it's the biggest hurdle in this journey. And goal is tough and it's amazingly rewarding to get there. But just over that hurdle is a long, long and winding road called maintenance. And THAT is really where your journey begins. Because maintenance takes forever and you have to really change for the long term to stay there.

This is not a diet. This will not work if you treat it like a diet. This is the rest of your life and even at goal, you're still going to be YOU and that's important to realize.

For me, that has been the biggest change and the most difficult one so far.

~Cheri

You make a particularly good point in this post. All the things that led us to be overweight to begin with are still there. I've recommended therapy in other posts, but I literally think it's a good idea for every single person that comes to this place of needed surgery get at least some therapy. There are a million different reasons we got here. It could be medical, it could be emotional, it could be bad habits, or something else. Unfortunately all those things create or are created by some baggage that will need to be dealt with, and a professional is a really appropriate place to talk those things out and get help with developing strategies. And let's face it. For most of us, the psych eval we do to get authorization for the surgery is a complete joke as far as a real assessment of mental/emotional status goes. They are just looking for any reasons that might outweigh the benefits that are likely to be gained by going through surgery. Mine was a 30 minute phone conversation.

Anyway, with the heartfelt desire for each person going through this to have the best experience and the best chances for lifetime success, I would urge all to find a therapist to consult when you are feeling like things are tough, or you are not sure how to address any particular struggle. You don't need to think that you will get sucked into some weekly appointment. Most therapists let you determine how often you feel like you need to go. It might be more often at first, then later you will probably only make an appointment when you feel like there is something that is bothering you. Make use of all the resources available to you. Don't forget to consult your nutritionist or the staff at your surgery center as well.

Best of luck to all!

Constipation and nausea are first complications following surgery for sleevers. The doctor will give you something for the nausea and it usually resolves itself in a couple of days. I was proactive about the constipation having had complications with it following my gall bladder surgery about 6 months prior. My doctor suggested I start taking daily Miralax about a week before my surgery date and man, did that help! Some people really complain about the pain of constipation or even just the outrageous pain of the first BM following surgery....I had none of that. My body did not void for a few days, but when it did it was soft and manageable....and not painful! I would suggest to anyone to be proactive and start on the stool softeners BEFORE surgery to prevent that problem. Good luck!! I think you will be very happy with your decision! :)

Emotional feeling overwhelmed at times and your eyes being bigger then your stomach...eating that one last bite when you know it might may you puke and then piling....in otherwards learning when you are full....and honestly everyone is so different you have to really listen to your body. It takes time trial and error. Hormonal when you just feel like clocking someone in the head because you feel overwhelmed with everything. And others losing more then you! Remember there's only one you and you are not everyone else Celebrate you will follow your.own weight loss! See you on the other side :)

Bad: I am 10 days out and my darn pain got worse on my left side. doc says it is normal until the stitch in your abdomen dissolves. I wish it would freaking dissolve already bc the pain even with pain meds is unbearable the last couple of days.

Good: 5 pounds lost in 10 days. I had lost 7 but I think I am retaining Water bc I didn't get enough in yesterday so I gained 2 pounds. Already skipped a size from before my preop diet :) went from 3x to 1x tops.

Everything else so far I expected. Just wishing the pain would go away. I know it will pass though and looking forward to living my life lighter lol

Good luck on your journey!