Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Glad i changed my mind!

In the beginning I consider getting the band, bc a few people I knew had done OK on it. I enrolled in the lapband forum to do research. Today for curiosity I checked out the forum again. One thing I noticed was that most people were unhappy, had only lost 50lbs a year just to regain it all back. This helped settle my nerves; I had been worried I was making the wrong decision, but now I'm more determined than ever :)

I haven't had my surgery yet but have scheduled it. When i went to a mandatory informational meeting I went in thinking the band was the right thing for me. I knew someone else who had the band and was also doing OK. Our speaker (my surgeon) was late to the meeting. When he did finally come in he apologized and said that he had just come from a surgery where he had to remove the band from someone because of erosion! He said it was not a pretty sight.

He went into detail about other WLS that were available and after doing tons of research i have chosen the sleeve.

my sister in law had the band almost 2 yrs ago, she has done OK as well. I guess much time hasn't passed to see it if works longer. I think it really is dependent upon who the person is and what kid of "tool" they need. For me, I think I need something a little more permanent and safer so that's why I made the decision to go along with the sleeve. I didn't like the idea of the band being foreign and having to continue getting fills often. I also opted out of the bypass cuz I don't really believe in changing the way things are meant to work in there,lol....I think you made a good choice though :)

If I knew then what I know now (including the information gathered from the medical community)? I wouldn't have wasted over 3 years of my life with the LapBand. I'd be thin and healthy already from having gotten the sleeve done!

I have had friends that have done all three kinds of surgeries. I have 2 friends that have/had the lap band. One has had her band for over 4 or 5 years and is doing great with it and no problems at all. The other had to have hers removed because it was defective somehow. She ended up getting the bypass, and is not entirely happy with her choice. Although, she is losing slowly and consistently and is looking great, she does have a major issue with lack of energy and they can't quite figure out why. Another person I know had the bypass and was the" one in a million" statistic that ends up having major complications - he almost died and is still really sick! Another friend had the bypass 3 years ago, lost 90 lbs and has kept it off and looks great. Unfortunately, my friends that have had the sleeve are only 1 month and 6 months out, so I don't have a lot of history yet. The gal that is 6 months out is doing really well. I actually considered the lap-band 4 years ago and chickened out before I got a surgery date. Glad I waited, because now I am sure that the sleeve is the right choice for me! I'm one week from my surgery and I couldn't be more excited!

Good luck. I've had 3 WLS, band, banded plication and now the sleeve. So far, my recovery with the sleeve has been the easiest. It was a difficult decision for me to revise again but I'm glad I did it and I'm only 8 days post-op :)

Take care,

What is banded plication?

The surgeon literally fold over the stomach no cutting involved. Major concern is lack of circulation

My dr actually drew on a pc of paper how he would do my "sleeve + Plication". he folds over the skin on the staple line. I guess it lowers the chances of a leak. Never heard it talked about on here. anyone else?

I revised from lapband to banded plication after 10 years with the band. The plication was supposed to be similar to the sleeve. However, I was my previous doctor's very first plication and apparently, it was not done correctly or how it would be done now. I thought of revising to the sleeve in 2011, but I don't think I was quite ready yet.

The plication is when the dr. folds the stomach onto itself and sews it to create a "sleeve". I ended up having a lot problems with my new band and with the Plication so I researched the sleeve and revised June 24. So far I'm very happy with my sleeve.

I don't know either. But I hear less and less about it. Here in the LA area the billboards were everywhere which led me to get a band. Thank god mine is out and am sleeved one week out.

I don't know either. But I hear less and less about it. Here in the LA area the billboards were everywhere which led me to get a band. Thank god mine is out and am sleeved one week out.

Did you get your band through 1-800-GETSLIM?! I did - horrible, horrible after care, which my current doctor believes led to the severe slip. He also doesn't believe the surgery was done correctly. I'm happily sleeved now, but interesting to know!

Initially I went to one of their seminars. All of their hospitals were 50 plus miles from my home. So I went through oband group instead still horrible aftercare. After I got the band never able to see them again. Their surgeon butchered me inside and I am likely going to sue them for all these medical bills I have and for losing 2 jobs due to too many hospitalizations.

I'm getting all of my medical records and as a nurse I know exactly what to look for so this oband group should be shakin in their boots.